Living in Pattaya on 186000 a month

AdrianUk

On 12/1/2023 at 3:48 PM, NedR69 said:

I didn't read where the OP said how much he earns per month, and that amount may not be his total take every month.  Some people like to invest in the their future and don't spend their entire earnings each month.  Some may have that much each month as disposable income.

The budget is 186,000 a month maximum and then it won't eat into savings.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:59 PM, Bobthegimp said:

I hope that your post is genuine and not a troll.  It's nice to hear from people who have done well and can now enjoy the fruits of their labour (or inheritance). 

Hedonic creep dictates that you'll live a similar life to someone on half of that income, just with better versions of the same.  The place you rent will be nicer, your women will be younger and prettier, you'll drink better booze and eat better food.  The trouble starts if you go full on Caligula and increase your intake of those pleasurable consumables.

The income is genuine, but I already know that it's possible to live on that much. I wanted to gauge peoples reactions and hear of other people's experiences and friends.  It's not much money in my world, and there is so much hated towards people who make good money. This is why wealthy people keep quiet. Several of my friends make 10-15 times more that (1-3m baht a month) but they reinvest and dont spend much.

11 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Most guys on here are retired and some are living on just a meager pension of 60K baht a month. 

If you are not retired, have an expat wife and want an expat life in Bangkok, then you need anywhere from 200-300K ++ per month.
For each child you will need another 100K baht a month just for school, so add 150K per kid to cover them.

600K baht per month for a family with 2 kids is not unreasonable.

Compounding works against you also. Big House, need gardener,  then security, then maids, then someone to cook, driver and now a manager.  All privacy has gone, then someone to run/check/fix cars and to check other toys like boat and off road quads.  I've been there. Never again.

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

One of the oddities of this Forum is that members are always posting about how 'the rich' live or what the rich like or where they want to be, as if 'the rich' are some monolithic entity.

"A friend" of mine is rich by any measure. He lives well below his means in Thailand. He enjoys Thailand for the time being, and may one day move on to another place, as there's always something new to experience. He has no budget, so buys what he wants, eats what he wants, does what he wants. Sometimes what he does/buys/wants costs a lot, sometimes it's pretty simple. If you saw 'my friend' you would never guess what he's got, though he might look more than skint, as he's quite fit and dresses neatly all the time. He smiles a lot, too.

The great benefit of wealth, or so 'my friend' says, is that it takes away almost all the stress most people experience in life. It allows them to live as they choose, which may not be in the Hamptons or Pebble Beach or Monaco. Heck, such people might not even be particularly demanding, as they're just happy with what life has allowed them to have. To raise the subject in a recent thread, if there's a fly on their pizza, they just pull it off and---unless it was a long one that spread across the entire dish---they'll eat what wasn't touched by the hair. If it spread across the whole dish, they will discretely point it out to service staff and ask for a replacement. No attention drawn. They know stuff like that happens even in a Michelin Star restaurant.

Wealth is for buying your time and independence. I don't get all these greedy guys burning all.their time and killing themselves 

Edited by AdrianUk

On 12/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, Kinok Farang said:

Just when i was thinking "where have all the nutters gone?)We have a new one.

Welcome friend,you are like a breath of fresh air.

Money always causes arguments on forums. I never said I am better or looking down on people like some think.  I'm just trying to see peoples reactions,  I can always bring more if I plan ahead.  There seems to be others spending same on schooling alone.  But it seems its more than enough. So I can save it.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:03 PM, JimTripper said:

The last few times I went downtown to eat in the soi buakao area I hated it. Could not wait to get out of there. It does have a lot of eateries thus why I went there.

It's about the area, not how much money you have. You are still going to be partying in a grungy area with weak people even if you have a large bank account somewhere. Money is not going to fix that unless you like the area.

That's why I like nice houses. Girls and friends can come to me. That's deathrow and cheap Charlie heaven.

On 12/1/2023 at 4:34 PM, kingstonkid said:

How is le tour Thailand going.

As to thi thread Wondering if it is troll 

The budget is true 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Jealous of what, someone bragging he's going to come to Pattaya and shag a hooker every night? Real classy

No, because that's standard behaviour in Pattaya. That's hardly amazing,  jealous of the budget of course. Why are you so bothered?

5 minutes ago, AdrianUk said:

No, because that's standard behaviour in Pattaya. That's hardly amazing,  jealous of the budget of course. Why are you so bothered?

Haha you think 186k is a lot of money. You also show your ignorance by stereotyping thinking that's the standard behaviour of Pattaya expats

34 minutes ago, AdrianUk said:

That's why I like nice houses. Girls and friends can come to me. That's deathrow and cheap Charlie heaven.

I think you will end up using that budget to move AWAY from Pattaya, not TOWARDS it. The whole area is a Cheap Charlie. 

You're not going to need what Pattaya has to offer if you're NOT skint or cheap. You will be meeting people that are running out of money due to their vices and unhealthy lifestyle. Or, if they are not running out, you will hear about their problems with people that are.

Might as well settle in a nice area like Koh Samui or many other choices. You don't need to be in a bar and hooker oriented city if you're living in a nice house. There will be plenty of opportunity to party with friends and meet girls in the better area.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you rush into something here, like an annual lease, and change your mind, it's not pleasant sticking around where you DON'T belong. You end up wanting to not go out much and just sit at home.

Edited by JimTripper

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I think you will end up using that budget to move AWAY from Pattaya, not TOWARDS it. The whole area is a Cheap Charlie. 

You're not going to need what Pattaya has to offer if you're NOT skint or cheap. You will be meeting people that are running out of money due to their vices and unhealthy lifestyle. Or, if they are not running out, you will hear about their problems with people that are.

Might as well settle in a nice area like Koh Samui or many other choices. You don't need to be in a bar and hooker oriented city if you're living in a nice house. There will be plenty of opportunity to party with friends and meet girls in the better area.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you rush into something here, like an annual lease, and change your mind, it's not pleasant sticking around where you DON'T belong. You end up wanting to not go out much and just sit at home.

He's not planning to be living where you live, JT.  And, no, the whole area is not a 'Cheap Charlie'.  You seem to have still not gotten out of the small area you stay at--which has warped your thinking.  Have you ventured to the Darkside yet?  He's planning to live at Siam Royal View, a very nice housing project.  Some of the homes go for 30 to 60plus million baht.  

If he chooses to stay in town, there are lots of nice condos in Wong Amat and some other areas where he could rent a nice condo rather than a house.  If he wants to be right on the beach in north Pattaya, there's Northshore condo.  Jomtien also has some choices, too.  That's the great thing about Pattaya, it's many neighborhoods with lots of housing choices, in all price points.   Go out and do some exploring sometime.  Pattaya has grown into a big city now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newnative said:

He's not planning to be living where you live, JT. And, no, the whole area is not a 'Cheap Charlie'. You seem to have still not gotten out of the small area you stay at--which has warped your thinking. Have you ventured to the Darkside yet? He's planning to live at Siam Royal View, a very nice housing project. Some of the homes go for 30 to 60plus million baht.  

If he chooses to stay in town, there are lots of nice condos in Wong Amat and some other areas where he could rent a nice condo rather than a house. If he wants to be right on the beach in north Pattaya, there's Northshore condo. Jomtien also has some choices, too. That's the great thing about Pattaya, it's many neighborhoods with lots of housing choices, in all price points. Go out and do some exploring sometime. Pattaya has grown into a big city now.

No thanks. I will try another less crowded location with cleaner water next.

14 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Haha you think 186k is a lot of money. You also show your ignorance by stereotyping thinking that's the standard behaviour of Pattaya expats

I never said it was a lot of money. You are the one making out I am showing off. This is why I started this topic. Some say its a little bit. Some say its a lot. Single guys mongering in pattaya can easily spend 10k a day in bars.

There are two types of people in pattaya,  those that admit to mongering and those that denie it and pretend they are better than the rest. You are the latter. The ones denying it are usually the biggest mongers 

6 hours ago, newnative said:

He's not planning to be living where you live, JT.  And, no, the whole area is not a 'Cheap Charlie'.  You seem to have still not gotten out of the small area you stay at--which has warped your thinking.  Have you ventured to the Darkside yet?  He's planning to live at Siam Royal View, a very nice housing project.  Some of the homes go for 30 to 60plus million baht.  

If he chooses to stay in town, there are lots of nice condos in Wong Amat and some other areas where he could rent a nice condo rather than a house.  If he wants to be right on the beach in north Pattaya, there's Northshore condo.  Jomtien also has some choices, too.  That's the great thing about Pattaya, it's many neighborhoods with lots of housing choices, in all price points.   Go out and do some exploring sometime.  Pattaya has grown into a big city now.

Lots of narrow minded guys dont realise there is many wealthy people in pattaya, they should drive around the estates and look at all the Bentleys. They hang out in expat areas and cheap establishments and dont realise there is more out there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's good advice to explore but I know pattaya well enough and the darkside has everything I need. I will go mongering on the light side though,  but staying on darkside mostly.

On 11/30/2023 at 3:20 PM, jvs said:

If you have rich friends there then why are you asking silly questions here?

Yes join Bob and Big bird,people will love you here.

Well maybe some will most are fed up with all these made up stories.

Made up stories? How it is unknown to you or other members here (that you seem to speak for), there is plenty of retirees with a million in dollars and very lavish budget / spending. As well there is plenty who make or made it in business in a younger age already, and plenty who drive cars that cost 60-80K a month in installments too, because the leases are short in duration. Can even just be for a normal mercedes.

I think what is more funny, and made up, is that poor people always assume that anyone who has money is the enemy, or that that is unrealistic. Only to defend their own position, instead of simply admitting, yeah I kind of <deleted> up and am not too rich.  This while most rich people are extremely positive towards anyone.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Made up stories? How it is unknown to you or other members here (that you seem to speak for), there is plenty of retirees with a million in dollars and very lavish budget / spending. As well there is plenty who make or made it in business in a younger age already, and plenty who drive cars that cost 60-80K a month in installments too, because the leases are short in duration. Can even just be for a normal mercedes.

I think what is more funny, and made up, is that poor people always assume that anyone who has money is the enemy, or that that is unrealistic. Only to defend their own position, instead of simply admitting, yeah I kind of <deleted> up and am not too rich.  This while most rich people are extremely positive towards anyone.

you assume a lot.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

If you had plenty of money you would not be "mongering" at all or using hookers, especially in Thailand. There are many options available if you're a man of means.

But you will still have to pay for it?

17 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That's the mindset that keeps them poor.

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If you had plenty of money you would not be "mongering" at all or using hookers, especially in Thailand. There are many options available if you're a man of means.

I value my time, so I pay for it.  I don't want to lie to women or waste their time just for my own kicks. It's an honest transaction and I dont need to devieve good women by leading them on and using them for sex.

Edited by AdrianUk

I have a potential budget of about 350k a month. Obviously a ludicrous amount. I don't spend much here but my resources are very strong and growing, by default. As under age 50, i have to be mindful of building a healthy lifestyle and not get sucked into the scene. 

186k is a nice amount - enough to not worry, but not big enough to be silly. Possibly the sweet spot.

7 minutes ago, AdrianUk said:

Thank you. Just to be clear to others. This is my budget not what I will spend every month. We all have quiet weeks and busy weeks.  Good you said that, you will be called a troll next or accused of making it up.

Monday to friday i barely spend anything: work, gym and simple food costs nothing. I can't afford the calories or time by eating/drinking to excess.

People assume because you have means that you have to spend it or show it off or you only eat in expensive places. The thinking is quite bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

20 hours ago, AdrianUk said:

Just another silly Troll. No one is jealous. They just don’t like obnoxious. Who does?

The point is simply that there are both rich and poor here and everything in between. 
The rich ones surely do not brag openly about it, for obvious reasons. One because it’s obnoxious behaviour and secondly it makes them a target for those who would happily relieve them of it. I see examples of this with alarming regularity.  
Do you think anyone should be jealous of someone who has to PAY women to keep him company? So pretending that you will pay for company every day, is hardly something about which to brag. 
The fact that you mention it over and over again, paints you as some kind of inadequate. Aren’t you something or someone without money or is that all you have going for you?
Do you actually think that you are the only one with such a potential budget or are you now aware that you have just made yourself look like absolute riffraff?

That’s how ‘chavs’ behave. No one is jealous of ‘chavs’ other than other ‘chavs’. To ‘normal’ people they just come over as ‘riff-raff who came into some money’. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You don’t seem to understand that you are part of that demographic. Most of us do not live how and where you describe. That is you. You choose to live in the sleazy centre and then complain about the inhabitants… but you are one of them. No doubt indulging from time to time, but imagining that you are a ‘cut above’. But no… you are the same. A likely sex tourist living in the centre of Pattaya. 
I nor any of my friends involve themselves with such. We have normal lives. Recreation, preparing meals for ourselves and each other etc

Whereas you are simply a tourist with no friends. You then attempt to juxtapose your sad experience to everyone else. Grow up man and take a good look at yourself. Stop blaming everyone else. Where are your friends?

When I was travelling, I made literally hundreds of friends and I still communicate with them regularly to this day. I also have made friends here. None of them relate to your description. Those are the people you meet. Birds of a feather and all that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianUk said:

Lots of narrow minded guys dont realise there is many wealthy people in pattaya, they should drive around the estates and look at all the Bentleys. They hang out in expat areas and cheap establishments and dont realise there is more out there.

Totally agree.  

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, AdrianUk said:

My retirement is coming soon and I want to know if 186,000 baht a month is enough for rent, ladies (every day) and some booze in bars?  One of my friends says his 3 children at rugby school costs more than that.

The house I want to rent is 70,000 a month. (At siam royal view)

My 27 year old Thai daughter was wondering if you were looking for a 

long term relationship?555

How old are you and what country do you hale from?

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Monday to friday i barely spend anything: work, gym and simple food costs nothing. I can't afford the calories or time by eating/drinking to excess.

People assume because you have means that you have to spend it or show it off or you only eat in expensive places. The thinking is quite bizarre.

People? It’s you who just assumed what you think people assume?

Show me where anyone else here has assumed that?

The point being that most of us don’t write about our finances at all. 
This is not a mongering board, so it’s already unsavoury enough having to filter through the discussions of prostitution. 
At least in the past if was often discussed in terms of longer term relationships and some practical discussion could ensue. 

But this is just UGLY. No surprise that you’ve popped up here. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, newnative said:

The fact that he is alone with no friends nor long term companion already speaks volumes…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianUk said:

I never said it was a lot of money. You are the one making out I am showing off. This is why I started this topic. Some say its a little bit. Some say its a lot. Single guys mongering in pattaya can easily spend 10k a day in bars.

There are two types of people in pattaya,  those that admit to mongering and those that denie it and pretend they are better than the rest. You are the latter. The ones denying it are usually the biggest mongers 

and u have met all the people in pattaya to be able to make such a definitive statement??....never say never and never say always and you will be more credible.

I am not in Pattaya.

But might be the same here in Phuket.

The dangers on the road comes mostly from young stupid farangs. Those who drive motorbikes with motors with 350 c.c or above.

I have been here for more than 15 years. This is a new problem here.

These stupid people, taking advantage of the lack of police patrols on the roads, endanger people's lives.

I used to not be very happy towards Thais who drove too fast, but currently, farangs have become more of a threat on the roads.

If they drive cars or busses, I do not know, but if they do, I never feel threatened by cars or busses driven by anyone. Motorbikes are the problem.

Farangs come here, and most of them leave their brain back home...

• Like 1