Can someone explain the Myanmar politics to me?

georgegeorgia

I last went to Myanmar in 2011,across the border to tachilek

I had visions of one day moving there to retire , people seemed nice etc 

Then I know the lady became PM but was ousted out.

I did like her ,but she was in trouble because she apparently treated the Rohinghya Muslim bad 

A Aussie professor was recently in prison there and was released,

I heard him on ABC Radio being interviewed yesterday saying he believes there would be a new government shortly and how they treated him badly after he was arrested for working for the lady PM which he gone to be her advisor 

I just read a few minutes ago the military in the North surrendered 

So in basic terms what's going on there ?

And....any expats live there ????

I know Simon on here used to live there 

What's it like in Yangon for expats ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

Yes interesting 

I wonder what's going to happen.

Anyone live there under Aung sun kyi ?

Was it better ?

It just seems to be a country not getting any further

Other SEA countries are becoming modern etc 

I may have to send a email to the leaders there to explain to them , not sure if they have a consulate in other countries 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

Been 6 times, including twice for meditation. Prob the best vipassana teachers in the world. U Pandita literally wrote the book. Hard to spend $5 a day on that plan.

Go to the market first and get a plastic chair with a back on it and a pillow; the local meditators will all be sitting on bare concrete with perfect posture. For 10 hours a day.

Net impression: very depressing, very compelling. Would love to see the Himalayan section, even tho it's a very gov-vetted tourist theme park. The beachy southern part is very unspoiled.

Food: Lovely -once you're in Thailand again. Except for the airport, I never had a passable local meal in Myanmar.

In Chiang Mai, there are at least five 4* Myanmar restaurants within a 5 minute cab ride or even walking. Rangoon Food House is lovely and near the airport. Burmese Swan just south of the Old City is the best.

Always a lot of pride taken in Myanmar places here with nice decor, lots of plants, English-speaking staff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, racket said:

Myanmar, also known as Burma, has a complex political history. As of last knowledge update in January 2022, I'll provide a general overview of the political landscape up to that point. Please note that there may have been developments since then.

Historical Background:

Myanmar gained independence from British rule in 1948.
The country experienced military rule for several decades, starting in 1962. During this time, Myanmar was known as Burma.

Military Rule:

The military junta, known as the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC), ruled from 1988 to 2011.
The military government faced widespread international criticism for human rights abuses and suppression of political dissent.

Transition to Civilian Rule:

In 2011, Myanmar began a process of political reforms, and a nominally civilian government was established. However, the military retained significant influence.
Aung San Suu Kyi, a Nobel laureate and leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD), played a prominent role in this period. She spent many years under house arrest during the military rule.

2015 General Elections:

In 2015, Myanmar held general elections, and the NLD won a landslide victory.
Aung San Suu Kyi, although constitutionally barred from becoming president, assumed a leadership role known as State Counsellor.

Rohingya Crisis:

During Aung San Suu Kyi's leadership, Myanmar faced international criticism for the treatment of the Rohingya Muslim minority, particularly in Rakhine State.

2020 General Elections:

In November 2020, Myanmar held another general election, and the NLD again secured a majority.
The military, alleging widespread voter fraud, disputed the results.

2021 Coup:

On February 1, 2021, the military, led by Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, staged a coup, detaining Aung San Suu Kyi and other political leaders.
The military declared a state of emergency, alleging election fraud and promising to hold new elections after a one-year period.

Protests and Civil Unrest:

The coup led to widespread protests and civil disobedience movements across the country.
The military responded with force, resulting in casualties and arrests.

The protestors chanted Mother###ker Aung in the streets   . military coup 

Interesting how the political history of Myanmar as laid out above somewhat resembles that of Thailand -- long-time military rule, relatively brief turns into local forms of democracy, and then more military coups and back into junta rule.

Basically, Myanmar is in the midst of an ongoing civil war, with the government junta being opposed by a range of armed factions with their own interests. The ordinary citizens I believe generally favor democracy, but thru the years, many have been arrested, imprisoned and otherwise persecuted.

The general consensus seems to be that the current ruling junta likely isn't going to last much longer. But what's going to follow their exit seems pretty unclear, and China seems to be playing a considerable role there as well. And it's not like China is any kind of protector and advocate of democratic governance.

BTW, one of the most striking things there that's easily visible is how the current junta there can't even keep the lights on in big cities such as Yangon, forcing many businesses to rely on generators to be able to stay in operation.

Blackouts Lengthen in Yangon as Power Crisis Worsens in Myanmar

October 2, 2023

"Power outages in Myanmar’s commercial capital Yangon, including in its once thriving industrial zones, are worsening, with residents and business owners saying the length of blackouts has at least doubled since mid-August.

Blackouts are normally rare in the rainy season, usually from June to October, when hydropower dams fill and electricity production increases. Forty percent of Myanmar’s electricity is generated by hydropower.

In Yangon, the duration of planned electricity cuts varies from one township to another. However, on average, electricity cuts have doubled in duration from four hours a day in residential areas to a minimum of eight hours a day. Blackouts in some neighborhoods are much longer, residents say."

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/blackouts-lengthen-in-yangon-as-power-crisis-worsens-in-myanmar.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

The one other part to be clear about, from everything I've read on the subject, is that the current main armed groups fighting against the junta primarily aren't common idealist locals seeking to restore democracy, but instead, are rival ethnic militia groups that supposedly are heavily into protecting their interests in drug running, gambling, financial and cyber scams and other bad stuff.

"Beijing has not changed the nature of its relationship with the ethnic armed organizations in the north, and these are not turning against China. ... To achieve those goals, China has always played all sides in Myanmar’s internal conflicts and it is therefore not, it should be remembered, in China’s interest to see the emergence of a strong, peaceful, democratic and federal Myanmar."

"This time the rough and tumble has been caused not by drugs but by telecom fraud that is being carried out in areas controlled by ethnic armed organizations across the border in Myanmar. ... The main targets for the scams have been people and institutions in China, and Chinese officials believe that capital outflows as a result of the scams amount to at least US$40 billion. It was clear that the Chinese authorities had to take action. And they did."

https://www.irrawaddy.com/opinion/guest-column/has-china-lost-control-of-ethnic-armies-in-myanmars-war-torn-borderland.html

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The one other part to be clear about, from everything I've read on the subject, is that the current main armed groups fighting against the junta primarily aren't common idealist locals seeking to restore democracy, but instead, are rival ethnic militia groups that supposedly are heavily into protecting their interests in drug running, gambling, financial and cyber scams and other bad stuff.

"Beijing has not changed the nature of its relationship with the ethnic armed organizations in the north, and these are not turning against China. ... To achieve those goals, China has always played all sides in Myanmar’s internal conflicts and it is therefore not, it should be remembered, in China’s interest to see the emergence of a strong, peaceful, democratic and federal Myanmar."

"This time the rough and tumble has been caused not by drugs but by telecom fraud that is being carried out in areas controlled by ethnic armed organizations across the border in Myanmar. ... The main targets for the scams have been people and institutions in China, and Chinese officials believe that capital outflows as a result of the scams amount to at least US$40 billion. It was clear that the Chinese authorities had to take action. And they did."

https://www.irrawaddy.com/opinion/guest-column/has-china-lost-control-of-ethnic-armies-in-myanmars-war-torn-borderland.html

I did say in my previous post that it's always usually about money ( and sex ).

Been so ever since Og found that he got better looking cavewomen if he had a larger pile of fish given to him in payment of services rendered than the other cavemen. Wasn't long before he realised that he could just take all the fish for himself and get all the women as well.

Edited by thaibeachlovers