How Soon Buy Ext. After Arrival on Visa Exempt?

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Last couple of weeks is the norm.

Seems Jomitien currently requesting it be done in last few days.

However Jomtien is crackpot joint

In fairness only 1 person is saying that? 

I always do about 2 weeks in advance at Jomtien and I got my extension 18 days in advance in late October. I was also there Monday getting a TM30 and Line was moving very fast and all I heard was question of "do you want 12 month or 30 day extension" and then quick processing and ticket. Didn't hear any questions of date of expiry? 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

I always do about 2 weeks in advance at Jomtien and I got my extension 18 days in advance in late October. I was also there Monday getting a TM30 and Line was moving very fast and all I heard was question of "do you want 12 month or 30 day extension" and then quick processing and ticket. Didn't hear any questions of date of expiry? 

Was there yesterday afternoon, and everyone in front of me seemed to be getting 30 days extension, never saw anyone turned away or any checks of how many days left. Maybe everyone had only 3 days left, but it did not seem like that.

30 days extensions were busy, but the process was moving fairly quickly.

Do not doubt the poster who was told to come back later, but maybe just lucky to catch staff at a bad moment or had upset them.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Ali Katz said:

Arrived this Tuesday on visa exemption so how soon can I buy the 30 day extension, immediately or should I wait awhile? TIA

Jomtien immigration won't let you do it 3-4 days before the expiry of your stamp. You'll get turned back and get a BS excuse "very sorry, high season" from the desk doing extensions and the ladies at the counter will just tell you come back 3-4 days before stamp expiry, can't be done any earlier. So don't bother coming earlier or you'll just waste your time and money travelling there.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I was the one who reported here about Jomtien's 3-4 day BS they are giving about extensions. The lady at the queue ticket desk looked through all my paperwork and all was in order, then she looked at my stamp in the passport and said come back 3-4 days before stamp expiry, you can't do it now. When I asked why not because I've been doing it for many years about 30 days in advanced at Jomtien, she said ask at desk 1 and then I got the  BS excuse "very sorry, high season" from the man at that desk 1 which does the extensions.

Edited by bbi1

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

OP - don't forget to take care of TM30 report. They are picky about it now.

You also need it when you go to get extension.

They've always been picky about TM30. No TM30, no extension and a lovely 1,600 baht fine to go with it if you lodge a TM30 late. A TM30 needs to be done within 72 hours of arriving into Thailand.

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Was there yesterday afternoon, and everyone in front of me seemed to be getting 30 days extension, never saw anyone turned away or any checks of how many days left. Maybe everyone had only 3 days left, but it did not seem like that.

30 days extensions were busy, but the process was moving fairly quickly.

Do not doubt the poster who was told to come back later, but maybe just lucky to catch staff at a bad moment or had upset them.

How do you know everyone in the queue were applying for 30 day extensions? Did you see their extension of stay form saying "30 days" on it?

Did you get the queue number from one of the two ladies or the dude? I think the dude could be more friendly than the ladies giving the queue numbers at Jomtien.

12 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How do you know everyone in the queue were applying for 30 day extensions? Did you see their extension of stay form saying "30 days" on it?

Did you get the queue number from one of the two ladies or the dude? I think the dude could be more friendly than the ladies giving the queue numbers at Jomtien.

I used my eyes and ears, everyone were being given tickets to counter 1, 30 days extension.

I was at counter 2, re entry, so could observe how many are waiting and went to the counter.

So if you do not like my observation, maybe I take a clip board and do a full survey next time, would that make you more happy. Trying to be helpful on this forum seems pointless at times.

I got my ticket from one of the females, and both the 2 females and the male were being helpful and friendly, Then I have never experience a problem at immigration, maybe that is just my personality.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gentlemen and ladies thank you all for your insights. I'm a Big Mango boy myself so gotta go to Lak Si. But what is this TM30 thing? Does it have to be prepared beforehand or can it all be done at the same time? Cheers again everyone! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

I got my ticket from one of the females, and both the 2 females and the male were being helpful and friendly, Then I have never experience a problem at immigration, maybe that is just my personality.

Not sure what personality is involved at the queue counter with the two females & one male as all you do is hand them your passport & photocopies and tell them what you need done. Then they look at your paperwork & passport then issue you a ticket number or tell you to photocopy more stuff that's missing or in my case, come back 3-4 days before stamp expiry as I'm too early to get a 30 day extension, according to them.

52 minutes ago, Ali Katz said:

Gentlemen and ladies thank you all for your insights. I'm a Big Mango boy myself so gotta go to Lak Si. But what is this TM30 thing? Does it have to be prepared beforehand or can it all be done at the same time? Cheers again everyone! 

You said you had hotel bookings in your other thread so TM30 should be done by your hotel (by law hotels have to register all foreigners staying there within 24 hours)

The hotel apply online and immigration can see this on their computer but it is suggested you ask hotel for proof they submitted the TM30 and add this to your TM7 extension application

Edited by Pattaya57

17 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Not sure what personality is involved at the queue counter with the two females & one male as all you do is hand them your passport & photocopies and tell them what you need done. Then they look at your paperwork & passport then issue you a ticket number or tell you to photocopy more stuff that's missing or in my case, come back 3-4 days before stamp expiry as I'm too early to get a 30 day extension, according to them.

17 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I said before I have no doubt about you being told to come back later.

My observations were on yesterday afternoon, and I am a noisy bastard, so like to be aware of what is going on, hence my comments. This is Thailand and the only consistent thing is inconsistency.

I said my personality, as when dealing with things like immigration, I have learnt to bite my tongue and never show my true feelings, causes a lot less pain, and my ego now accepts it.

Wish you luck when you go back for the extension, think you just hit the wrong person, at the wrong time.

20 hours ago, bbi1 said:

They've always been picky about TM30. No TM30, no extension and a lovely 1,600 baht fine to go with it if you lodge a TM30 late. A TM30 needs to be done within 72 hours of arriving into Thailand.

You will be confusing too many people with your advice. Many people get a TM30 because the hotel they are staying in the night (s) before they go to immigration ANYWHERE in Thailand did it from the hotel and immigration checks it when you are there. You can ask for proof at hotel and also bring it with you to immigration. For example earlier this year I was in Hua Hin the day before I went to Hua Hin immigration and got 30 day extension, the year before I was in Patong the day before and went there for 30 day extension another time I was in Bangkok the night before etc...Many didn't even ask to see it so I DO NOT give it to them ( Hua Hin for example ) . Hotels in Jomtien have to provide/ do a TM30 for you as well so a large majority of people were not staying in Jomtien weeks and weeks before they arrived at Jomtien immigration so the hotel did it the first day/ night they arrived. Then you can also bring proof from hotel with you. If a TM30 done a day after you arrive in let's say Chiang Mai is done then you travel to Jomtien 2 weeks later I don't think Jomtien will want THAT TM30. They will want one from a place in Jomtien. 

Edited by alex8912

On 12/1/2023 at 8:42 AM, Georgealbert said:

I used my eyes and ears, everyone were being given tickets to counter 1, 30 days extension.

I was at counter 2, re entry, so could observe how many are waiting and went to the counter.

So if you do not like my observation, maybe I take a clip board and do a full survey next time, would that make you more happy. Trying to be helpful on this forum seems pointless at times.

Apart from sometimes being swamped with high season tourists I’ve never had a problem at Jomtien.  Why complain , just go the week before your entry date expires. Go early morning and not Monday and Friday. 

Somebody above said "TM30 must be done within 72h"

I think it's 24h

"The TM30 Thailand reporting form must be completed by the landlord of the unlicensed property the foreigner is renting. This must be done within a 24-hour period of the guest's arrival. This can especially affect property owners who are renting their homes to visitors for short and long term rentals."

How about my case: I'll return from Vietnam on Saturday. I always go to Jomtien to report w/in 24h. Now I can't. Will they fine me?

PS. I don't do on line anything.... life is too short for that.

2 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Somebody above said "TM30 must be done within 72h"

I think it's 24h

"The TM30 Thailand reporting form must be completed by the landlord of the unlicensed property the foreigner is renting. This must be done within a 24-hour period of the guest's arrival. This can especially affect property owners who are renting their homes to visitors for short and long term rentals."

How about my case: I'll return from Vietnam on Saturday. I always go to Jomtien to report w/in 24h. Now I can't. Will they fine me?

PS. I don't do on line anything.... life is too short for that.

Jomtien told me no problem if within 72 hours when doing my own TM30. I usually arrive on a Friday so I can relax before doing my TM30 on Monday morning, which is the earliest opportunity that immigration is open. Never had an issue and my last TM30 was done last Monday after arriving Sat 25 Nov

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, Ali Katz said:

What kind of accommodation? Hotel?

I'm asking because your TM30 notification is the responsibility of the place where you stay. You'll need to check with them, and the TM30 notification needs to be made before you attend immigration to apply for an extension. You should take the receipt with you; whether or not it's required is hit and miss.

At Laksi, you can probably apply for your extension right away. They don't usually send people away for being "too early", but if you want to play it safe, go there 1-2 weeks before your permission to stay expires. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Apart from sometimes being swamped with high season tourists I've never had a problem at Jomtien. Why complain , just go the week before your entry date expires. Go early morning and not Monday and Friday. 

Fully agree, I never had a problem also. No complaint from me.

• Thumbs Up 1

A friend just did his at the Prachuab Khirikhan office yesterday.  He had been at a hotel there for a couple of days.  After checking out he went straight to the immigration office and applied for it.  He said there were very few people there and was done in about 20 minutes.  He applied for it after only having been in the country for 10 days.  They just add the extension on to where the other one would have expired so he got his 60 days total.  

On 12/1/2023 at 3:32 PM, Georgealbert said:

I said before I have no doubt about you being told to come back later.

My observations were on yesterday afternoon, and I am a noisy bastard, so like to be aware of what is going on, hence my comments. This is Thailand and the only consistent thing is inconsistency.

I said my personality, as when dealing with things like immigration, I have learnt to bite my tongue and never show my true feelings, causes a lot less pain, and my ego now accepts it.

Wish you luck when you go back for the extension, think you just hit the wrong person, at the wrong time.

Both girls at the queue counter were the same, as were the woman and man at Counter 1 for the 30 day extensions. See below of today's experience at Jomtien:

Went to Jomtien Immigration again to try and extend for 30 days. I initially went on the 21st November and was told to come back 3-4 days prior and today I was told by the queue desk come back one (1) business day prior to stamp expiry (my stamp expiry is on a Sunday). I handed the girl my paperwork & passport without staying anything, and all was good with the paperwork. She looked at the stamp and said come back one (1) business day prior. I told her that last time in November I was told to come back one week before expiry already, that's why I'm here and she said ask at Counter 1, the exact same story as I was told last time by the other queue number girl (there are only 2 of them). Went to Counter 1 and the lady looked at my paperwork and talked to the man, and same thing they said come back one (1) business day prior to expiry. This is insane. I've got the pics to prove it that what I'm saying is all true.

This person also had the exact same experience as me. "Come back one day prior to stamp expiry":

IMG_20231207_133509.jpg

IMG_20231207_133554.jpg

Edited by bbi1

12 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Both girls at the queue counter were the same, as were the woman and man at Counter 1 for the 30 day extensions. See below of today's experience at Jomtien:

Went to Jomtien Immigration again to try and extend for 30 days. I initially went on the 21st November and was told to come back 3-4 days prior and today I was told by the queue desk come back one (1) business day prior to stamp expiry (my stamp expiry is on a Sunday). I handed the girl my paperwork & passport without staying anything, and all was good with the paperwork. She looked at the stamp and said come back one (1) business day prior. I told her that last time in November I was told to come back one week before expiry already, that's why I'm here and she said ask at Counter 1, the exact same story as I was told last time by the other queue number girl (there are only 2 of them). Went to Counter 1 and the lady looked at my paperwork and talked to the man, and same thing they said come back one (1) business day prior to expiry. This is insane. I've got the pics to prove it that what I'm saying is all true.

This person also had the exact same experience as me. "Come back one day prior to stamp expiry":

IMG_20231207_133509.jpg

IMG_20231207_133554.jpg

That is totally insane.

Seen other reports that it is busy there this week, because of the holidays this Tuesday and next Monday, 11, Constitution day.

Cannot understand why telling people to come back later, near the final date, is really helping the work load at the office. Just pushing the extra people to other days.

I said before I did not doubt your experience, just reported the one afternoon I was there, and it was not that busy.

Can only hope it goes ok next week, but you have wasted two trips for nothing.

9 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

That is totally insane.

Seen other reports that it is busy there this week, because of the holidays this Tuesday and next Monday, 11, Constitution day.

Cannot understand why telling people to come back later, near the final date, is really helping the work load at the office. Just pushing the extra people to other days.

I said before I did not doubt your experience, just reported the one afternoon I was there, and it was not that busy.

Can only hope it goes ok next week, but you have wasted two trips for nothing.

Absolutely it's insane and it pissed me off so much. Complete waste of two trips for nothing.

I'm wondering if with that yellow ticket number and 8:30am I can just go to Counter 1 or do I have to line up again with everyone else and get a queue number for Counter 1?

Edited by bbi1

18 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Absolutely it's insane and it pissed me off so much. Complete waste of two trips for nothing.

I'm wondering if with that yellow ticket number and 8:30am I can just go to Counter 1 or do I have to line up again with everyone else and get a queue number for Counter 1?

Sorry no idea what the yellow ticket means.

The only time I had similar is when they have keep my passport over night (pink ticket number that time), and had to pick up the passport next day, with yearly extension in it. Then went straight to counter to collect.

Hopefully someone will guide you on the 15 when they see the ticket.

My GAWD, sometimes i find myself laughing at the ABSURD requirements foreigners must adhere to, and all the hoops and stupid amounts of money in a Thai bank just for the privilege of staying there (and spending your money into their economy)  They really have us by the nutsacks don't they? XD