Half of new HIV infections in Thailand among 15-24 year olds

webfact

aids.jpg

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) in Thailand has revealed that nearly half of the annual 9,000-plus new HIV infections are individuals aged between 15 and 24 years old. This trend has persisted for several years, according to Dr Suchada Jiamsiri, the head of the Division of Aids and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) at the Ministry of Public Health’s DDC.

Dr Suchada, in an interview with the Bangkok Post to mark World Aids Day, indicated that the highest infection rates were previously among sex workers and men who have sex with men but this has now shifted to the younger population. Dr Suchada attributed this change to diminishing attention to the disease among young people and a disregard for condom usage.

“Young people are more likely to focus on preventing unwanted pregnancies, such as by using birth control pills. These have been effective in reducing the number of teenage mothers, but the use of condoms is often overlooked due to the perception that it diminishes sexual pleasure.

“This trend is deeply concerning, and we are doing our utmost to raise awareness about the importance of condom use among young people.”

by Mitch Connor

Picture, of Bangna Commercial College on World AIDS Day last December, courtesy of AHF Thailand.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Avoidance of pregnancy seems to be of greater concern to most rather than acquiring a sexually transmitted infection (of any type). Should be more awareness programs to educate the young. Perhaps the government health department could advertise on TikTok or Facebook which is most teens and young adults seem to watch endlessly.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) in Thailand has revealed that nearly half of the annual 9,000-plus new HIV infections are individuals aged between 15 and 24 years old. This trend has persisted for several years, according to Dr Suchada Jiamsiri, the head of the Division of Aids and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) at the Ministry of Public Health’s DDC

So no real control then?

When I ask HIV positive people about this problem, they stress that:

1. Young people are too shy to go into a pharmacy and ask for condoms due to stories that some pharmacists start to question whether their parents know.

2. Very often, parents don't want schools to install condom machines as it "encourages" kids to have sex (as if!). 

3. Some teachers are uncomfortable educating about sex and HIV. Not all.

4. There was a period when Khun Mechai (a well-known campaigner for condom use) was successful and improved condom use numbers but no one took the lead when he retired so the numbers of teen pregnancies, and indeed HIV. has gotten worse.

5. Kids born with HIV are stigmatized here and often don't care if they infect others.

I can only think that education at school will help and free condoms are a must.

Edited by Purdey

The challenge is that Thai kids have no idea about possibilities.  Girls feel that if the want to keep a bf they have to put out or their friends will ridicule them.

There are 2 major things lacking in schools

Financial education

And 

Real sex education by people that know

Most Thai teachers still think pump and dump is okay.

I have never understood the extent of the danger of having unprotected oral sex. I've seen a lot of different opinions, medical and otherwise.  I read that Michael Douglas contracted throat cancer because of his passion for cunnilingus.

I have never protected against it either giving or receiving. Maybe I'm very stupid or very lucky.

How dangerous is it?

(Please don't tell me it all depends who you have it with).

(Incidentally before I came to Thailand 15 years ago, I read a book on Living In Thailand that said Thai girls would almost never give a farang oral (for fairly obvious reasons).

The book also said that only bar girls/sex workers would have tattoos. It would be shameful for a Thai girl otherwise.

Times have changed!)

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, siftasam said:

I have never understood the extent of the danger of having unprotected oral sex. I've seen a lot of different opinions, medical and otherwise.  I read that Michael Douglas contracted throat cancer because of his passion for cunnilingus.

I have never protected against it either giving or receiving. Maybe I'm very stupid or very lucky.

How dangerous is it?

(Please don't tell me it all depends who you have it with).

(Incidentally before I came to Thailand 15 years ago, I read a book on Living In Thailand that said Thai girls would almost never give a farang oral (for fairly obvious reasons).

The book also said that only bar girls/sex workers would have tattoos. It would be shameful for a Thai girl otherwise.

Times have changed!)

You can get gonorrhea of the throat from oral and may not know you have it as they generally don't test for it and it won't be picked up in a urine test, you need a throat swab. Condition can start effecting other organs incl Brain