How safe is a Isaan city at night?

georgegeorgia

Is it ok to walk around Udon Thani in the early hours of say a weekend morning ? Like 3am 

What's the highest crime area in Isaan?

What's crime like not only in major Isaan cities but in the villages?

If you live in a village do you still need to lock your doors at night ?

What about if you live on a farmhouse , do you feel secure ?

Have you ever been threatened in Isaan ? 

I remember years ago and I'm going back to early 2000's I was at a Isaan festival and a Thai guy bumped into me ,drunk and young , he done it a second time about 25 minutes later, I had no idea why until I seen him fighting other that guys 

I think that's the only time I felt threatened so I moved away from him 

I guess there are some bad people there otherwise they wouldn't have jail's 

Are drugs a big thing there ,meth etc ,is there junkies around that railway station at night?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I wonder if Thailand particularly the Isaan region is succumbing to these new wave of drugs ice meth etc 

Is crime on the increase I wonder ?

Haven't met anyone or saw on any forums farangs who have been a victim of crime in Isaan though ??

Do you walk around Sydney at 3am?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I wonder if Thailand particularly the Isaan region is succumbing to these new wave of drugs ice meth etc 

Is crime on the increase I wonder ?

Haven't met anyone or saw on any forums farangs who have been a victim of crime in Isaan though ??

Drug problem exist since decades. Much hated Thaksin tolerated extrajudicial killings in the early 2000s.

There have been murder cases but always related to big money/real estate/dubious businesses and failed relationship. Contract killing.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

I know it may sound weird to some but as I'm entering that big age I like to put things on my bucket list to do or try .

One of them to walk from undon Thani railway station to the other side if the city walking at around 2 or 3 am on a weekend morning 

Why? Udon is not attractive. Not a walking town at 2am.

Nong Khai 6am along the water.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Does anyone else have that inclination to walk thru Udon Thani at 2am or just me? 

Have you been to Udon? Its nothing special. At 2am there would be some homeless, some hookers and some mongers.

Why the hell would you go walking?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Where I live (rural near Pimai) you would mostly have to worry about the dogs. Not much crime here. The drug problem has gotten better, the better-known dealers felt it was getting too hot for them here and moved on. I think anyone seeing someone walking around at that time of night would think they must be up to no good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand is very safe, for most foreigners. Most crime is Thai on Thai. As long as you have your wits about you, do not wander around drunk, do not insult the locals, and behave with some dignity and respect, you will be fine. Violent crime is far worse in the US, and elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Isaan ia safe but 3am might be dodgy.

What sane person is street walking at 3am?

I agree as those out and  about are quite likely worse the wear for drink and/or drugs, just as I was in my misspent youth.  Or there could be teenage gang members looking for trouble. At that time there is always an increased risk of trouble/violence just as in any Western city. But generally Udon is very peaceful with any violence being Thai on Thai. There was one exception that I know of though which must have been about 10 years ago now, when 2 farangs were attacked and killed by a couple of Thai men while just sitting and chatting in Nong Prajak park at about 4am. I recall reading later that it was a copycat attack of the controversial murders of 2 young backpackers on Koh Tao which is well known as Death Island....Dont go there!

46 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Hmm! Your bucket list includes walking from Udon Thani railway station to the other side of the city at around 2 or 3 am on a weekend morning!

You wonder why you attract "weird people"!😃

But his protein shake might save him