How safe is a Isaan city at night?

georgegeorgia

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Is it ok to walk around Udon Thani in the early hours of say a weekend morning ? Like 3am 

What's the highest crime area in Isaan?

What's crime like not only in major Isaan cities but in the villages?

If you live in a village do you still need to lock your doors at night ?

What about if you live on a farmhouse , do you feel secure ?

Have you ever been threatened in Isaan ? 

I remember years ago and I'm going back to early 2000's I was at a Isaan festival and a Thai guy bumped into me ,drunk and young , he done it a second time about 25 minutes later, I had no idea why until I seen him fighting other that guys 

I think that's the only time I felt threatened so I moved away from him 

I guess there are some bad people there otherwise they wouldn't have jail's 

Are drugs a big thing there ,meth etc ,is there junkies around that railway station at night?

In my opinion Udon is very safe, however in saying that, you still need to use common sense when out at such early times. Generally speaking there is not much to do In UdonThani at 0300. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We live up in Phu Phaman. About 2 hours west of Khon Kaen. 

It's a pretty typical small town.

I used to take long walks during the day.

I stopped, after a few people who saw me out wandering around warned my wife that I was

in danger of getting my throat cut for my wallet by teenagers on drugz.

As unlikely as that is, I can't totally discount the idea. 

I now limit my  long walks to the Temple grounds just across the street. 

As for night-time, we rarely find ourselves driving the 30 to 60 minutes it would take to find restaurants or markets. 

Just not worth challenging the nighttime traffic adventures -seems that every night is New Years Eve out there. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kbb said:

I stopped, after a few people who saw me out wandering around warned my wife that I was

As for night-time, we rarely find ourselves driving the 30 to 60 minutes it would take to find restaurants or markets. 

Just not worth challenging the nighttime traffic adventures -seems that every night is New Years Eve out there. 

0.1% chance why risk it?

On 12/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, georgegeorgia said:
On 12/3/2023 at 9:32 AM, bignok said:

Do you walk around Sydney at 3am?

Sydney is relatively safe  , just need to have situational awareness on who is coming towards you.

Udon Thani is relatively safe  , just need to have situational awareness on who is coming towards you, also.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, kbb said:

A psychologist would say it's never happened, that you are "catasphrizing" something that there's no "evidence" for ,unless of course it's happened in that area before.

I would take the risk and walk a little each day outside the temple grounds to see if it does happen,

The major risk though is the street dogs !! 

Report back to us 

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 12/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, bignok said:

Isaan ia safe but 3am might be dodgy.

What sane person is street walking at 3am?

Maybe, but the only dangers I know are the dogs, roosters on steroids and the pervert monks walking around at the wee hours.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

Still dodgy in parts. Gangsters have guns. 

The 'Gangs' can all go shoot each other. but rarely do they bother anybody else, unlike Thailand where it appears most carry a gun or weapon, where just looking at someone or arguing with a taxi driver can get you killed. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

The 'Gangs' can all go shoot each other. but rarely do they bother anybody else, unlike Thailand where it appears most carry a gun or weapon, where just looking at someone or arguing with a taxi driver can get you killed. 

Most? Not most people. Taxi drivers dont carry guns. A lot of App drivers are women or ladyboys or students. Only had 1 that looked a bit crazy.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Does anyone else have that inclination to walk thru Udon Thani at 2am or just me? 

I've done it more than a few times, years ago.  It's a very walkable city.

Even in the village,  a amall one maybe 50 houses, wifes family try to never leave the house unattended.  They worry someone may walk in and take things. There are known drug dealers and i guess people are afraid to turn them in.    There is a benefit for having the old dog with a rep for biting strangers.  I would think UT would be boring at 3am.  

On 12/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I know it may sound weird to some but as I'm entering that big age I like to put things on my bucket list to do or try .

One of them to walk from Udon Thani railway station to the other side of the city walking at around 2 or 3 am on a weekend morning to see if I meet "interesting" people

I always seem to attract the weirdo element whether I'm sitting in a park on a Sunday or walking thru a  city street at night 

It's a bit weird but why not if that's what you want to do. The walk will do you good.

I've been to Udon many times but never been out at that time although I was out in Bangkok around 4am one morning a few years back. Very quiet in the side roads apart from early morning deliveries to a vegetable shop and a bit more on the main road. I've never felt unsafe to be honest, even at night .

I live in a village in Mahasarakham and we do lock the house at night but I don't think it would matter if we didn't. I often forget to lock the car. Although they wouldn't do anything our dogs would bark a lot so that might scare them off. Having said that if they bark it's due to other dogs or people with torches in the rice field looking for crabs or frogs, and we used to have howling sessions with distant dogs at one time.

I would guess it's going to be worse for a woman than a male  in general especially with drunks if any are still around. Maybe if you could find someone else who wants to do the same thing to go along for support. If I was in the area I would certainly be up for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living in Thailand for 20 years. I've never felt threatened. I have a long list of complaints about living here but 1 thing I value over living back home is safe streets.

I have had things, including my motorbike stolen but never felt physical danger.

In the UK you literally risk getting mugged or beaten up by local youths hanging around or simply in need of cash at all hours. You can walk into a pub, look at someone in the wrong way and get beaten senseless. Never get that here.

Isan above all places is safe. I'd say the one way to get into an altercation is on the road. Beeping your horn would do it or of course running a female up the wrong way. But no, I feel very safe from physical threat.

Can't say I'd leave my house unlocked though.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

In the UK you literally risk getting mugged or beaten up by local youths hanging around or simply in need of cash at all hours. You can walk into a pub, look at someone in the wrong way and get beaten senseless. Never get that here.

In some places in UK.

Some pubs. 

Some places in Isaan too.

20 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

In some places in UK.

Some pubs. 

Some places in Isaan too.

Honestly? You have experience of being mugged, attacked or intimidated by gangs of hooded toads hanging around streets in Isan?

Granted someone can take a dislike of you if they feel like it anywhere in the world but I've never felt threatened in the same way here as back home.

I remember a kid of about 8 screaming obscenities at others in a busy beauty spot in Norfolk. When told to mind his language he started hurling abuse at the old couple.

Never in Isan. Never in Thailand.

45 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

Honestly? You have experience of being mugged, attacked or intimidated by gangs of hooded toads hanging around streets in Isan?

Granted someone can take a dislike of you if they feel like it anywhere in the world but I've never felt threatened in the same way here as back home.

I remember a kid of about 8 screaming obscenities at others in a busy beauty spot in Norfolk. When told to mind his language he started hurling abuse at the old couple.

Never in Isan. Never in Thailand.

You said " risk". Not " experience of".

One kid in Nofolk does not a dangerous country make.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, youreavinalaff said:

You said " risk". Not " experience of".

One kid in Nofolk does not a dangerous country make.

That's an example and a personal experience. Do you have any of your own to add to your point, if you have one at all?

Yes, I said 'risk' and so where is the risk of being mugged or attacked by local youths prevalent in Isan? Where's the risk you are claiming? I've never seen kids here acting that way, not in the way they do in the UK. The risk in the UK is very real to people all over the country. Is it here? Come on....give us the experience of your life in Thailand and 1000s more that fear a trip to their local 7-11 of an evening. 

Back yourself up with some form of experience or facts that prove whatever point you're making. Or hazard an opinion on how safe Is an is. Which is the topic.