How safe is a Isaan city at night?

georgegeorgia

6 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

That's an example and a personal experience. Do you have any of your own to add to your point, if you have one at all?

Yes, I said 'risk' and so where is the risk of being mugged or attacked by local youths prevalent in Isan? Where's the risk you are claiming? I've never seen kids here acting that way, not in the way they do in the UK. The risk in the UK is very real to people all over the country. Is it here? Come on....give us the experience of your life in Thailand and 1000s more that fear a trip to their local 7-11 of an evening. 

Back yourself up with some form of experience or facts that prove whatever point you're making. Or hazard an opinion on how safe Is an is. Which is the topic.

The risks are there. 

I don't post about things I don't know about or haven experienced. 

You have not seen it so you think it doesn't happen. That's fine.

No need for outbursts.

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

The risks are there. 

I don't post about things I don't know about or haven experienced. 

You have not seen it so you think it doesn't happen. That's fine.

No need for outbursts.

I've posted about experiences in the UK. So I have seen it, regularly.

You're criticizing yet openly admit you haven't seen it or experienced anything.

What's the point? 

I've lived in the UK and Thailand in equal durations and have family in both countries. Both myself and others have reported grievances in the UK dished out by local yobs. I have never, ever met a soul in Thailand who's been attacked without reason by local Thai youths.

20 years travelling around Thailand and not once have I felt threatened whilst walking around.

I am basing my opinion on experience. Like you've freely admitted. Your argument is based on zero facts, zero experiences. 

43 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

You're criticizing yet openly admit you haven't seen it or experienced anything.

What's the point? 

I've lived in the UK and Thailand in equal durations and have family in both countries. Both myself and others have reported grievances in the UK dished out by local yobs. I have never, ever met a soul in Thailand who's been attacked without reason by local Thai youths.

20 years travelling around Thailand and not once have I felt threatened whilst walking around.

I am basing my opinion on experience. Like you've freely admitted. Your argument is based on zero facts, zero experiences. 

I have not posted that I've never experience it. You made that bit up.

I've also never denied it happens in UK.

21 years in Thailand and 32 years in UK. I have felt equally safe in both countries.

That leads me back to my original comment which was " in some places". Not all of either country is dangerous or perfectly safe.

No need for outbursts.

• Confused 1

Last year I walked back to my hotel room from the Central area in Udon at around 9 pm and it was like a ghost town - didn`t see a single person - it`s not like Patts at all . I think most crime seems to be drug related . I often watch the Thairat news show and remember an article about people being robbed in Nong Prajack Park , presumably when they were asleep , so I never feel 100 % safe there and would never go after dark .

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

What's the point? 

Andrew Oake ,young Australian from South Australia man riding a motorbike 2011 ,Isaan area 

machete attacked murdered by 3 drug fuelled youths in a racial attack 

Thai youths sentence 3 years jail !!

Edited by georgegeorgia

Adelaide taxi driver Mr Oake, 28, and Som had been holidaying in Prasat, near Surin in northeastern Thailand, for two months when they travelled between villages and were set upon by three men in a drug-fuelled, racially motivated attack in March 2010.

His attackers had been drinking on the night of the incident near Som’s village of Prasat, 410km northeast from Bangkok. Thai police say the men had also consumed methamphetamines.

Mr Oake was slashed in the head and on his arms with a homemade machete.

11 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I have not posted that I've never experience it. You made that bit up.

I've also never denied it happens in UK.

21 years in Thailand and 32 years in UK. I have felt equally safe in both countries.

That leads me back to my original comment which was " in some places". Not all of either country is dangerous or perfectly safe.

No need for outbursts.

You've pestered and picked on my post which was explicitly clear when I made the point I feel safe here.

That is based on having seen street crime and been subjected to it whilst living in London and Suffolk. I have never had any form of physical threat from locals whilst living here. 

The post is about Isan not all of Thailand like you're now saying.

So please, tell us, like the topic asks, how safe is living in Isan, based on you finally saying that you feel safe here. 

That's exactly what I said all along yet for some obscure reasons you have questioned my response.

As for you saying that you've always felt safe in the UK, that's good for you but there are untold instances of yob culture impacting innocent lives. Either you don't follow the news or believe that the media are all leading us on and street violence is a myth.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Adelaide taxi driver Mr Oake, 28, and Som had been holidaying in Prasat, near Surin in northeastern Thailand, for two months when they travelled between villages and were set upon by three men in a drug-fuelled, racially motivated attack in March 2010.

His attackers had been drinking on the night of the incident near Som’s village of Prasat, 410km northeast from Bangkok. Thai police say the men had also consumed methamphetamines.

Mr Oake was slashed in the head and on his arms with a homemade machete.

The topic asks if I feel threatened or safe.

Based on my experience I feel safe, as do all I know here.

That incident is isolated and over 10 years old. There were arguments that it related to a road rage incident. Not saying it did but it's inconclusive.

Tragic as it was it's not representative of everyday life here. That's like using the Tsunami to warn people from visiting Phuket.

Personally speaking, if you live here, lock your property because there is theft. Be sensible and respectful and you'll encounter no problems. 

People can knit pick all day long but in general . I feel very secure here.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Any place is dodgy at 3AM, most crimes always happend around this hour.

That's very true 

I was watching a YouTube Isaan video recently where the farang in it said he still locks his doors even though he knows everyone in the village

It's a bit like my brother who is a policeman telling me someone stole his orange juice from the staff fridge ,I guess it can be opportunistic 

6 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

You've pestered and picked on my post which was explicitly clear when I made the point I feel safe here.

That is based on having seen street crime and been subjected to it whilst living in London and Suffolk. I have never had any form of physical threat from locals whilst living here. 

The post is about Isan not all of Thailand like you're now saying.

So please, tell us, like the topic asks, how safe is living in Isan, based on you finally saying that you feel safe here. 

That's exactly what I said all along yet for some obscure reasons you have questioned my response.

As for you saying that you've always felt safe in the UK, that's good for you but there are untold instances of yob culture impacting innocent lives. Either you don't follow the news or believe that the media are all leading us on and street violence is a myth.

It was you that started using whole countries by comparing Isaan to UK, as a whole. 

I pointed out " In some places in UK. Some pubs. Some places in Isaan too."

You asked about personal experience. Then you ask if I watch the news. Watching the news is not personal experience.

I went into 6 pubs on Saturday night. Nothing to worry about. I've been in a night club in Buriram when things have kicked off. Also had to protect myself and my wife in an instance of heritage rage.

That's why I used "some" in my post and have not used "never".

Some parts of Isaan are no go areas. As are some parts of Suffolk,Norfolk (As you’ve) mentioned) Devon (where I live) or other parts of UK. Other parts will only very occasionally have issues.

Hence my original reply to you "

In some places in UK.

Some pubs. 

Some places in Isaan too."

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

It was you that started using whole countries by comparing Isaan to UK, as a whole. 

I pointed out " In some places in UK. Some pubs. Some places in Isaan too."

You asked about personal experience. Then you ask if I watch the news. Watching the news is not personal experience.

I went into 6 pubs on Saturday night. Nothing to worry about. I've been in a night club in Buriram when things have kicked off. Also had to protect myself and my wife in an instance of heritage rage.

That's why I used "some" in my post and have not used "never".

Some parts of Isaan are no go areas. As are some parts of Suffolk,Norfolk (As you’ve) mentioned) Devon (where I live) or other parts of UK. Other parts will only very occasionally have issues.

Hence my original reply to you "

In some places in UK.

Some pubs. 

Some places in Isaan too."

What places are no go areas in Isan?

I'm not talking about isolated places like snooker clubs or such but general life on the streets. Everyday, normal life on the whole.

Answer this honestly. Would you feel safer walking around a town center in the UK at night (as a previous member raised) or any given town in Isan?

6 pubs one night might be safe 1 weekend and then a completely different story the next. I was sitting in a pub garden, our local, with a group of friends a few years back when a random woman simply rammed a pint glass into another woman's face yards away from us. Her only motive being she took offence to someone from another town coming to her town. Isolated maybe but I don't get that feeling sitting here. 99.9 percent of people here just enjoy themselves with kids running around unharmed.

And please, as I answered in reply to this topic, Isan is a very safe place to live, answer the topic question yourself. How safe do you feel living in Isan? My point has always been that I feel 100 percent safe. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't recommend the UK anymore and I take no pleasure in saying that. I grew up in London and never felt concerned as a kid. Then it changed and it's never felt safe since.

I personally don't feel safe walking around areas of the UK at night. I don't feel safe knowing my kids are out on  their own in England. Not everywhere granted, but I'd never allow them out after dark to go to the local shops. If I see a group of youths, hoodies, various races, both white and others, I immediately find myself tense up. Maybe paranoia sure but in comparison, no, I've never had that feeling here. That's why I can say I appreciate the feeling of security, safety and lack of threat living in Isan.

Apart from lunatic drunk and dangerous driving I feel no threat whatsoever from the locals.

23 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

What places are no go areas in Isan?

I'm not talking about isolated places like snooker clubs or such but general life on the streets. Everyday, normal life on the whole.

Answer this honestly. Would you feel safer walking around a town center in the UK at night (as a previous member raised) or any given town in Isan?

6 pubs one night might be safe 1 weekend and then a completely different story the next. I was sitting in a pub garden, our local, with a group of friends a few years back when a random woman simply rammed a pint glass into another woman's face yards away from us. Her only motive being she took offence to someone from another town coming to her town. Isolated maybe but I don't get that feeling sitting here. 99.9 percent of people here just enjoy themselves with kids running around unharmed.

And please, as I answered in reply to this topic, Isan is a very safe place to live, answer the topic question yourself. How safe do you feel living in Isan? My point has always been that I feel 100 percent safe. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't recommend the UK anymore and I take no pleasure in saying that. I grew up in London and never felt concerned as a kid. Then it changed and it's never felt safe since.

I personally don't feel safe walking around areas of the UK at night. I don't feel safe knowing my kids are out on  their own in England. Not everywhere granted, but I'd never allow them out after dark to go to the local shops. If I see a group of youths, hoodies, various races, both white and others, I immediately find myself tense up. Maybe paranoia sure but in comparison, no, I've never had that feeling here. That's why I can say I appreciate the feeling of security, safety and lack of threat living in Isan.

Apart from lunatic drunk and dangerous driving I feel no threat whatsoever from the locals.

You are funny.

You question my experience as only one offs, then bang on about your one occurance.

You talk about 1 pub or one boy in Norfolk then say you are talking about whole towns.

Make up your mind. You need to compare like with like.

Now you say lunatic drunks make you feel unsafe. Plenty of those in Isaan.

Anyway, seeing as you like to compare, I would rather walk around my home town in UK at night than BanYang district in Buriram. 

Then again, I'd rather walk around Muang district of Buriram than Croydon.

I'll say it once more. Both danger and safety are in evidence in SOME places in both UK and Isaan.

Please...please..put your reading specs on. I specifically said ISOLATED MAYBE....go look again.

Apart from lunatic drivers in Isan....I feel no threat from locals. Again, you're simply agreeing with what I said yet trying to belittle it. It's the same thing you've just mentioned.

I have never said whole towns. I said "I" don't feel safe in certain situations (town centers on a Saturday night, or when approaching local youths)

You need a trip to Specsavers.

19 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You are funny.

You question my experience as only one offs, then bang on about your one occurance.

You talk about 1 pub or one boy in Norfolk then say you are talking about whole towns.

Make up your mind. You need to compare like with like.

Now you say lunatic drunks make you feel unsafe. Plenty of those in Isaan.

Anyway, seeing as you like to compare, I would rather walk around my home town in UK at night than BanYang district in Buriram. 

Then again, I'd rather walk around Muang district of Buriram than Croydon.

I'll say it once more. Both danger and safety are in evidence in SOME places in both UK and Isaan.

What's wrong with BanYang district?😂

20 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

. If I see a group of youths, hoodies, various races, both white and others, I immediately find myself tense up. Maybe paranoia sure but in

I'm not sure what a psychologist would call that 

Have you been threatened before by youths in hoodies?

It's understandable,but I think based on past experience

It's interesting to see what the "psychological" is behind that if there is any psychologist on here 

26 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's interesting to see what the "psychological" is behind that if there is any psychologist on here 

I did say paranoia plays a role sure.

I've had 2 attempted muggings in London, both by groups of young youths. I've been to football matches where thugs embark on violent missions purely for the thrill of it. I'm proud to be English but I'd be the first to say that young English men pose more threat of violence than any other nationality. Again, based only on my experience. 

I've never felt that in Isan, nor Thailand on the whole. There is a plentitude of absolute idiots among the population here but in my opinion, I don't fear groups of Thai kids kicking the hell out of me for my phone or the like. I don't fear drinking in another town and being attacked for wearing the wrong football shirt. It's purely in response to the question. How safe is Isan. To me, much, much safer in response to street crime, road situations excluded.

I'd consider myself streetwise and I've never been in any "serious" altercation to call upon that I can recall. However, when I visit the UK each year I feel like the public and authorities are losing control of the local areas.

No need for psychology. Based upon prior experience and the general behaviour in which they conduct themselves.

More to do with stereotypes and constant stories of street crime in the UK. Some people will choose to criticise such anxiety but it exists.

I'd love to walk comfortably through a group of such folk, say good evening and feel totally at ease but I'm sharing how the situation makes me and countless others feel when encountering the same.

43 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

May I throw the question back to you?

Do you feel at ease walking through a group of teens, young adults whatever we are to call them, at night in the UK?

In London a no-go area means that the police would avoid going into the place without full back-up? They are also advised not to wear their uniforms in some places because of the threat of violence.

I've never been to Banyang, no idea where it is in fact but is this comparable to this?

1 hour ago, Barnet1900 said:

Please...please..put your reading specs on. I specifically said ISOLATED MAYBE....go look again.

Apart from lunatic drivers in Isan....I feel no threat from locals. Again, you're simply agreeing with what I said yet trying to belittle it. It's the same thing you've just mentioned.

I have never said whole towns. I said "I" don't feel safe in certain situations (town centers on a Saturday night, or when approaching local youths)

You need a trip to Specsavers.

All I said, please do look back at my comments, is that SOME areas and SOME pubs in UK are like you said. Look at your first post. No mention of "some" or " isolated".

Likewise I said SOME areas of Isaan have a threat. Unless you have visited every corner of Isaan, that is something you cannot argue with.

I've been to Specsavers. It seems you have not. Get some glasses, reread my posts and you will see several things you've accused me of saying that I have not said.

3 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

May I throw the question back to you?

Do you feel at ease walking through a group of teens, young adults whatever we are to call them, at night in the UK?

In London a no-go area means that the police would avoid going into the place without full back-up? They are also advised not to wear their uniforms in some places because of the threat of violence.

I've never been to Banyang, no idea where it is in fact but is this comparable to this?

You are doing it again. 

"In the UK" then giving certain areas of London as the only example.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:03 PM, Barnet1900 said:

In the UK you literally risk getting mugged or beaten up by local youths hanging around or simply in need of cash at all hours. You can walk into a pub, look at someone in the wrong way and get beaten senseless. Never get that here.

You appear to have got lost with all your twisting and turning. My original post was in response to the above. Below is what you could have written to better explain your experiences:

In some places I've been to in UK I you literally risk getting mugged or beaten up by local youths hanging around or simply in need of cash at all hours. . You can walk into some  pubs, look at someone in the wrong way and get beaten senseless although that has never actually happened to me nor have i ever witnessed it. Never get that where I've been in Isaan.

Edited by youreavinalaff

On 12/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Sydney is relatively safe  , just need to have situational awareness on who is coming towards you.

So, same like in every place then. All questions answered in one sentence. 

31 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You ask nationality as you walk past these groups that worry you in UK?

That could be part of the problem

Nothing Todo with nationality in the UK. They're English, British, couldn't care less. I don't stop to ask. It's the age, and general look.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't play dumb. 

50 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You appear to have got lost with all your twisting and turning. My original post was in response to the above. Below is what you could have written to better explain your experiences:

In some places I've been to in UK I you literally risk getting mugged or beaten up by local youths hanging around or simply in need of cash at all hours. . You can walk into some  pubs, look at someone in the wrong way and get beaten senseless although that has never actually happened to me nor have i ever witnessed it. Never get that where I've been in Isaan.

Once more, scraping the barrel. Forums are about general statements. Yours are entirely the same. Some, some, some...

Go ahead and finally give your response.

How safe is living in Isan for you?

1 minute ago, Barnet1900 said:

Nothing Todo with nationality in the UK. They're English, British, couldn't care less. I don't stop to ask. It's the age, and general look.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't play dumb. 

Just asking because, on other threads, some posters believe it's the immigrants causing the problems. 

Have you ever been to a football match in Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria or Turkey?

Judging by your remarks regarding young British males, I would guess not.