My BP has gone from high to low.

giddyup

The title seems to suggest that your "High" BP (as in actual hypertension) has gone to hypo-tension and therefore a possible problem.

At 110/60 your Blood Pressure is right on normal for the systolic measure (110) but diastolic (60) is on the low side of normal, but not low as in an obvious problem of symptoms that you appear not to be "suffering"

I don't really have a Blood Pressure condition but for two or three days one week in February, this year while attending a hospital for a routine check my BP was high so my Clinical Doctor prescribed some medication that was one tablet per day. At that time, he said, if the BP went too low, reduce to a half.

After two days it went into normal range and I went to a half tablet and it remained nicely in mid normal range. I decided to reduce from a half to nothing. For the next three months while taking my BP measurements 6 times per day, every day, my BP remained in normal range.

Suddenly it went up again for a couple of days so I visited the Doctor again and asked for advice. He told me just take a tablet and then a half when it goes down. I did this and in December (now) having done measures every day day since then, I have taken the sum total of 6 tablets and my BP has flattened out an average of 113/72 over the entire period since February, over the last three months 111/71

I think you could try reducing the dose but confirm with your Doctor first.

I am 78 with no health issues.

Edited by ChrisKC
additional point

Been taking High B P Med's for over 30 years, suddenly started dropping. Dr reduced  Losartan 100mg per day to 50 mg in Feb. last week reduced them again to 25 mg per day

Age 74, last week at Hospital reading 109/61..........  take at home every day anyway, next appointment end Jan

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ignis said:

Been taking High B P Med's for over 30 years, suddenly started dropping. Dr reduced  Losartan 100mg per day to 50 mg in Feb. last week reduced them again to 25 mg per day

Age 74, last week at Hospital reading 109/61..........  take at home every day anyway, next appointment end Jan

What Meds are you on , if you don't mind me asking? I have been put on Amlodipine/Valsartan since June of this year and my BP has been in "normal" range ever since. (High was 175/90 as an example).

I do monitor it daily. Age 80 and next visit to cardiologist is Feb. One thing is the Cost of the above, 130 Tabs cost B8,737.00 at the Hospital.

8 minutes ago, Al BB said:

What Meds are you on , if you don't mind me asking? I have been put on Amlodipine/Valsartan since June of this year and my BP has been in "normal" range ever since. (High was 175/90 as an example).

I do monitor it daily. Age 80 and next visit to cardiologist is Feb. One thing is the Cost of the above, 130 Tabs cost B8,737.00 at the Hospital.

Never buy meds from hospital pharmacy, much cheaper from local pharmacies. I was prescribed Valsartan and also found it expensive and Sheryl suggested Losartan which is much cheaper and basically the same thing, so now use that.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Never buy meds from hospital pharmacy, much cheaper from local pharmacies.

I agree ! Strange that my 4 (Local) Pharmacies don't stock it though. Next visit I will ask for a Prescription. Maybe there is a "generic" equivalent. 

30 minutes ago, Al BB said:

I agree ! Strange that my 4 (Local) Pharmacies don't stock it though. Next visit I will ask for a Prescription. Maybe there is a "generic" equivalent. 

There is, I just gave it to you, Losartan.

25 minutes ago, Al BB said:

You do nto bneed a prescription.

There is no locally made generic for the single pill combo of amlodopine+valsdartan, only brands are Amval and  is Exforge, both imported.  You can get Exfordge  online from:

https://bangkokdrugstore.com/product/exforge-5160-mg-14s/ 

https://bangkokdrugstore.com/product/exforge-10160-mg-14s/

Under 1,000 baht for 28 tabs

Might also ask here, use their Messenger function  https://medisafepharma.com/

Both are very reliable pharmacies that deliver.

If you want to save even more money ask your doctor if you can switch to Losartan (same drug class as valsartan) and amlodipine and take them separately. Both come in very, very cheap local brands. 80 mg of valsartan is equivalent to 50 mg losartan.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There is, I just gave it to you, Losartan.

Losartan is in the same drug class but is not a generic equivalent to valsartan and certainly not to the combo of valsartan/amlodipine which he is taking.

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Losartan is in the same drug class but is not a generic equivalent to valsartan and certainly not to the combo of valsartan/amlodipine which he is taking.

I mentioned Losartan because some time ago I asked about an alternative to Valsartan because of the cost, and you suggested Losartan. I rang the doctor and asked about switching and all he said was that Losartan wasn't as strong as Valsartan. That was in 2017.

Edited by giddyup

On 12/3/2023 at 5:53 PM, Sheryl said:

110/60 is not extremely low. It is normal range.

Whether ior nto to adjust your BOP meds depends on what yo uare takinbg buyt the adjustment would nto be to every other day as these merds do nto have that long an action. More likely a reduction in daily dosage.

What exactly are your meds? (list all not just BP meds as some others can reduce BO as a side effect)

What meds do you recommend to cure fat fingering the keyboard?

🤔😅

I'm glad that my pressure meds don't cause BO as a side effect too.

(Sorry. Cheap shot I know. But I had to take it)

Seriously, I appreciate your professional opinions on these issues. 👍🙏

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never buy meds from hospital pharmacy, much cheaper from local pharmacies. I was prescribed Valsartan and also found it expensive and Sheryl suggested Losartan which is much cheaper and basically the same thing, so now use that.

Depend what Hospital is used. for years only use Government Hospital and getting my med's there are cheaper

Have looked many times over the years  places like the 'cheap' Pharmacies on Rama 4 in BKK, there still more expensive than the Government Hospital Pharmacy....  Also where I live NO Pharmacy sells Insulin......  

There are advances to a Pharmacy, 3 different tablets I take you can get the mg I need, the Government Hospital only has one type...  = Dr Prescription 25 mg per day - Hospital only has 100 mg not that easy cutting a tablet into 4, the other 2 types is only cutting once.

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You do nto bneed a prescription.

There is no locally made generic for the single pill combo of amlodopine+valsdartan, only brands are Amval and  is Exforge, both imported.  You can get Exfordge  online from:

https://bangkokdrugstore.com/product/exforge-5160-mg-14s/ 

https://bangkokdrugstore.com/product/exforge-10160-mg-14s/

Under 1,000 baht for 28 tabs

Might also ask here, use their Messenger function  https://medisafepharma.com/

Both are very reliable pharmacies that deliver.

If you want to save even more money ask your doctor if you can switch to Losartan (same drug class as valsartan) and amlodipine and take them separately. Both come in very, very cheap local brands. 80 mg of valsartan is equivalent to 50 mg losartan.

Thank you Sheryl.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, scottiejohn said:

Does anyone know of over the counter Pharmacist tablets and costs one can take for minor High BP!

Amlodipine 5mg is the usual starting med but best to seek a check-up first.

• Thanks 1

I used to take meds for minor high BP but after I retired and moved to Thailand my BP started to get low like the OP so I stopped my meds and monitored my BP every day for 2 weeks and it is now normal. I didn't start any healthy exercise or drink less but I have a much less stressful life here and I eat a lot more vegetables. It's now been 18 months meds free and my BP is still normal.

• Like 1