Jump to content

photography how many of you ?


Recommended Posts

Just got me thinking as we get older and retired that we start our hobbies or interests that we put off over life.

 

I noticed in posts there was a lot of photographers on here , seems to a majority,that's not something that interests me ,but what interested me is what they like to photograph.

 

A poster on here rises in the early hours to take pics of "street life" in the early hours in Thailand.

 

I had a Thai tourist visit me in Australia in 2011 we drive up to the Blue Mountains  ,he wasn't interested in that ,he was interested in stopping near rural properties to take pics of......wait for it..... Their postal letterboxes !!!!

 

I was just watching Steve Rosse old farang YouTuber who lives in Turtle Beach phuket , his hobby is making paper mache of......turtles and photography them , he mentions he once took a year after work every afternoon to photo every street sign in Arizona 

 

What is it with photography,vlogging ,selfies etc that interest you 

 

I'm thinking how immature but ..... especially a man of his age late 60's 

 

We all have a new weird interest...in photography, whether that be selfies etc I guess 

But this new generation are obsessed with vlogging and photography, even in the gym etc

 

I just started doing boxing a few times a week to have my young nephew ask me if I had photos of the training ,like it's normal to start taking photos in a boxing gym 

 

Is anyone into this new "vlogging ?

Not photos ,but where I see them walking around with the camera talking to themselves 

 

How much of this should we put up with before it invades our privacy ,some farang eg in Pattaya riding around on a push bike ....vlogging !!

 

What about drone hobby ?

Any interest, this drone hobby is taking off ,why ?

 

Edited by georgegeorgia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have, by accident, ended up with thousands following my posts on FB......no intentions of achieving that...it just happened over a period of time......responding to people takes up some of the day...the rest of the time is just wasted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I have, by accident, ended up with thousands following my posts on FB......no intentions of achieving that...it just happened over a period of time......responding to people takes up some of the day...the rest of the time is just wasted.

I noticed a lot of these influencers don't respond on their comment section

I wonder if there's actually  companys that provide that sort of service eg replying to messages for these big numbered influencers on Instagram and FB etc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

I noticed a lot of these influencers don't respond on their comment section

I wonder if there's actually  companys that provide that sort of service eg replying to messages for these big numbered influencers on Instagram and FB etc 

Never thought of that.....an AI type of thing???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you want to see my photos go to 

PhotoGuy

This will show you what I photograph.

Love it 👍

May I ask do you ever get people who shout at you what are you filming for ? Or ask you if you are taking photos of them etc

I say this because I watch these "audit" youtubers such as DJ and Amagansett press who purposely stand in a street and take pictures of people walking by hoping they get angry and then film them and say " Photography is not a crime !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Love it 👍

May I ask do you ever get people who shout at you what are you filming for ? Or ask you if you are taking photos of them etc

I say this because I watch these "audit" youtubers such as DJ and Amagansett press who purposely stand in a street and take pictures of people walking by hoping they get angry and then film them and say " Photography is not a crime !

Never as yet had anyone complain. If you approach them and ask them most if not all with say ok go ahead and take the photo. I always offer to send them a copy of the photo as well but most say they dont want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

My gf has one.

Your one would be interesting, watching you sit at a desk typing on ASEAN all day !

You could do a commentary 

You could set up a bell type of sound when someone responds to your post and run across the room to the computer and shout " someone has responded !  

Edited by georgegeorgia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your one would be interesting, watching you sit at a desk typing on ASEAN all day !

You could do a commentary 

You could set up a bell type of sound when someone responds to your post and run across the room to the computer and shout " someone has responded !  

Dont have a computer. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Dont have a computer. 

I noticed this is becoming common.

 

Nowadays, Not many have laptops or desktops

They seem to use iPads or phones 

 

Yesterday I offered to buy my nephew a laptop for his uni  , no he said we don't use laptops anymore 😮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

I noticed this is becoming common.

 

Nowadays, Not many have laptops or desktops

They seem to use iPads or phones 

 

Yesterday I offered to buy my nephew a laptop for his uni  , no he said we don't use laptops anymore 😮

 

would be interested to know what he/his school uses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was just watching Steve Rosse old farang YouTuber

 

 

 

Steve goes back to the early Stickman days and has lots of long ago witty essays in the readers contribution section. Met him; super-guy.

 

I live on a very instagrammed corner. I see people taking pics several times a day. No interest in it myself.

 

Nimman1 Mall has a couple of arches with many little lights. It's rare not to see a Jap-couple photoing each other in front of them. A giant plastic durian statue is another must-photo for Chinese vacationers. Often they are amusingly posing like they're holding their noses.

 

This person has a rare talent for Thai architectural pics:

 

https://www.genevievefields.com/blog-1/an-afternoon-in-hat-yai

Edited by Prubangboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Just got me thinking as we get older and retired that we start our hobbies or interests that we put off over life.

 

I noticed in posts there was a lot of photographers on here , seems to a majority,that's not something that interests me ,but what interested me is what they like to photograph.

 

A poster on here rises in the early hours to take pics of "street life" in the early hours in Thailand.

 

I had a Thai tourist visit me in Australia in 2011 we drive up to the Blue Mountains  ,he wasn't interested in that ,he was interested in stopping near rural properties to take pics of......wait for it..... Their postal letterboxes !!!!

 

I was just watching Steve Rosse old farang YouTuber who lives in Turtle Beach phuket , his hobby is making paper mache of......turtles and photography them , he mentions he once took a year after work every afternoon to photo every street sign in Arizona 

 

What is it with photography,vlogging ,selfies etc that interest you 

 

I'm thinking how immature but ..... especially a man of his age late 60's 

 

We all have a new weird interest...in photography, whether that be selfies etc I guess 

But this new generation are obsessed with vlogging and photography, even in the gym etc

 

I just started doing boxing a few times a week to have my young nephew ask me if I had photos of the training ,like it's normal to start taking photos in a boxing gym 

 

Is anyone into this new "vlogging ?

Not photos ,but where I see them walking around with the camera talking to themselves 

 

How much of this should we put up with before it invades our privacy ,some farang eg in Pattaya riding around on a push bike ....vlogging !!

 

What about drone hobby ?

Any interest, this drone hobby is taking off ,why ?

 

 

I've "done photography" for the last ~50 years, with ever evolving cameras/possibilities, and I've meanwhile gone into drones (2) and a gimbal camera. Not for fame, not for fortunes, but it's like painting the moment (took a lot longer before, what of canvas, paint tubes, the mess), and capturing "weird things" like a series of mailboxes that don't look like the ones at home! As to the "why": because everybody can, with modern phones doubling as cameras with wet-dream performance and "vlogging" gadgets that are seriously close to the real professional, really expensive gear! As to me personally, in the course of (at the latest with digital) photography, i learned the ins and outs of Photoshop, and nowadays real serious video mastering apps (Blackmagic Davinci Resolve). Sometimes keeps me busy for more hours than planned...

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, it is what it is said:

 

would be interested to know what he/his school uses?


Pretty close to 100% of uni students use iPads or some form of tablet. Teachers upload materials onto a platform like Google Classroom or MS Teams and students can open it all up on their pads. It's a step up from pre-Covid days when most just brought a phone to class as it's much easier for them to take notes and access online resources. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always been drawn to photography and the great photographers, such as Henri Cartier-Bresson or Sebastiao Salgado, Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, etc.

 

Part of the enjoyment of photography in the past was the procedure....loading film, capturing an image, wondering if it was captured as hoped, developing it in the darkroom, then making a print.

 

I had favorite films and gear...B&W such as Kodak Technical Pan or for color, the glorious Kodachrome 25. Using something small and discrete such as a Leica Rangefinder allowed for all sorts of shots and an easy way to capture the moment exactly as one wanted (with proper depth of field, etc.).

 

I know one can still do most of these things with modern digital equipment, and editing via a computer is much easier than in a darkroom, but I still prefer the old ways. Yes, Leica now makes a great Monochrome Rangefinder, and computers allow for conservative color saturation that can approach what Kodachrome did naturally, but in my opinion too many photographers today go overboard on sharpness and saturation. Maybe that is what the market wants, but I prefer the old ways.

 

 

YinYang.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...