Has anyone done the application to get a visitor visa to Australia for their Thai GF/wife in the past couple of months?

I usually spend low season in Australia and this year my Thai wife of 7 years is threatening to come and visit for a few weeks. She was previously an Australian resident but her Resident Return Visa lapsed during covid and we have little intention of moving back to Australia full time in a hurry. We are both in our late 50's. She has a business in Thailand but it is unofficial with no records. She has property but it is in her son's name but she has a quite large bank balance. My main question is if she applies for a tourist visa and is granted, how long is the visa valid before entry, as she is likely to change her mind and put it off till next low season. I included all the background in case anyone had any thoughts on her chances to  suceed with an application.  

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I usually spend low season in Australia and this year my Thai wife of 7 years is threatening to come and visit for a few weeks. She was previously an Australian resident but her Resident Return Visa lapsed during covid and we have little intention of moving back to Australia full time in a hurry. We are both in our late 50's. She has a business in Thailand but it is unofficial with no records. She has property but it is in her son's name but she has a quite large bank balance. My main question is if she applies for a tourist visa and is granted, how long is the visa valid before entry, as she is likely to change her mind and put it off till next low season. I included all the background in case anyone had any thoughts on her chances to  suceed with an application.  

It's usually 12 months from date of grant. And 3 months stay per time. So one could sit on the visa for 11 months and 29 days and then enter for a 3-month stay one day before the visa expiry date. One can also get 2 or 3 trips out of a 12 month visa. But be cautious about staying in Oz 3 months then having a couple days in Bali or SPore then re-entering Oz for a further 3 months, some IOs will pull people up on that. I think the fact your wife held residence which expired due to the pandemic will work well in her favor. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grain said:

It's usually 12 months from date of grant. And 3 months stay per time. So one could sit on the visa for 11 months and 29 days and then enter for a 3-month stay one day before the visa expiry date. One can also get 2 or 3 trips out of a 12 month visa. But be cautious about staying in Oz 3 months then having a couple days in Bali or SPore then re-entering Oz for a further 3 months, some IOs will pull people up on that. I think the fact your wife held residence which expired due to the pandemic will work well in her favor. 

I think it will be the complete opposite,

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Celsius said:

I think it will be the complete opposite,

Pretty much a nothing comment. Not sure why you bothered. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, grain said:

Thanks for the very useful information. 

18 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Pretty much a nothing comment. Not sure why you bothered. 

Oh, ok. Maybe you need to think a bit harder as to why the government would approve a tourist visa after residency going to waste. The first thing they will assume is that your wife will want to move on a tourist visa.

10 hours ago, Celsius said:

Oh, ok. Maybe you need to think a bit harder as to why the government would approve a tourist visa after residency going to waste. The first thing they will assume is that your wife will want to move on a tourist visa.

Quite possibly true but thank you for a constructive comment instead of just a negative one with no explanation. 

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

Quite possibly true but thank you for a constructive comment instead of just a negative one with no explanation. 

It's often down to one person, how that one person (usually a Thai woman) views something. One may well think of this as allowing residency to go to waste; while another may well understand how the global pandemic lockdowns caused this to happen. The truth is we really have no idea what is going on in the head to the person handling an application. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, grain said:

It's often down to one person, how that one person (usually a Thai woman) views something. One may well think of this as allowing residency to go to waste; while another may well understand how the global pandemic lockdowns caused this to happen. The truth is we really have no idea what is going on in the head to the person handling an application. 

I guess is all perception. She didn't exactly abandon it. She used to be a nurse and her niece who is virtually her daughter ended up in a coma for 4 months in the children's ICU ward in BKK so she came back to nurse her. She needed 2 years of ongoing care and then not so long after when it was time to make decisions and her visa was still valid Covid came. Not saying that will influence the I.O's decision and understand both points of view. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 7:46 PM, Wongkitlo said:

I guess is all perception. She didn't exactly abandon it. She used to be a nurse and her niece who is virtually her daughter ended up in a coma for 4 months in the children's ICU ward in BKK so she came back to nurse her. She needed 2 years of ongoing care and then not so long after when it was time to make decisions and her visa was still valid Covid came. Not saying that will influence the I.O's decision and understand both points of view. 

**** Flaming comments edited out ****

She hasn't lost her permanent residency, because the RRV expired,   She can apply for a RRV from Thailand., shouldn't have an issue going on the information you have provided. 

The immigration website provides the information.  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/resident-return-visa-155-157#About

Edited by metisdead

Posted (edited)

Inflammatory posts and the replies contravening our Community Standards have been removed:

• Please be polite and respectful to others
  • Do not flame, troll or stalk other members

A post commenting on moderation contravening our Community Standards has been removed:

• If you would like to discuss moderation contact Support
Edited by metisdead

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, Nemises said:

Not the answer you wanted but we use a TH agent each time her AU tourist visa expires. All too easy …and cheap. They do everything

Hi, please PM me the agent details you used. 

I just made an application for my girlfriend for subclass 600 VISA for 6 months, handed in all the requested documents and she got a refusal within 9 days on the basis that her intention of staying temporary in Australia were not genuine. Although she has a 9 year old daughter, i ( a permanent resident ) invited her to stay with me as a friend and support her stay in Australia financially. 

What can i do to get the VISA for my girlfriend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

On 3/24/2024 at 1:25 PM, Nemises said:

Like Grain said if you tick all of those boxes then no need for an agent …unless you couldn’t be bothered doing it yourself…. which is me! 

My agent was great, they dealt directly with the TGF. I did nothing :coffee1: Have their details if you choose that path.

I’m in Sydney. The TGF arrives next week for her 3rd holiday here - and is also booked for her 4th - in a year!

Hi, i applied 10 days ago for my TGF for a 6 month S 600 VISA and we got refused on the basis that her intention to return to Thailand was not genuine. Although she has a 9 year old daughter living there. 

We are only together for a short period but are genuinely in love. No one can fake love and a relationship like this. 

I am still bound to Australia because i’m on workers compensation benefits and have to show up at my doctor every 4 weeks to get my certificate of capacity to get paid my remittance. 

So i wanted to have my TGf visiting me for a few months to be together and check out if this could work out long term together. 

Was it wrong to apply for a 6 month Tourist visa? Any advice on what is the best way to get a VISA granted successfully after being together for such a short time only. 

Please share any advice or help as we are very desperate to get this resolved. 

2 hours ago, karmasdestiny said:

Hi, i applied 10 days ago for my TGF for a 6 month S 600 VISA and we got refused on the basis that her intention to return to Thailand was not genuine. Although she has a 9 year old daughter living there. 

We are only together for a short period but are genuinely in love. No one can fake love and a relationship like this. 

I am still bound to Australia because i’m on workers compensation benefits and have to show up at my doctor every 4 weeks to get my certificate of capacity to get paid my remittance. 

So i wanted to have my TGf visiting me for a few months to be together and check out if this could work out long term together. 

Was it wrong to apply for a 6 month Tourist visa? Any advice on what is the best way to get a VISA granted successfully after being together for such a short time only. 

Please share any advice or help as we are very desperate to get this resolved. 

It would've been better to apply for a 3 month visa.

You don't really need an agent if you're OK with paper-work.

If you want to get some help on here, it would be beneficial to post the refusal letter minus the personal details or advise more details of your relationship. Your girlfriend's employment status etc.

From the little information you have given, it seems the length of your relationship is also an issue for Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1