Residents refusing to pay maintenance in gated village.

giddyup

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I never had this issue with any of the gated communtities i lived on, 3 in total over 12 years.

I have certainly come across a few.... empty houses being one source. I expect it is a bigger issues in condo buildings.

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have certainly come across a few.... empty houses being one source. I expect it is a bigger issues in condo buildings.

Although certainly an eyesore empty houses won't generate garbage etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I never had this issue with any of the gated communtities i lived on, 3 in total over 12 years.

Did you own the house or were you renting? We never had a problem in our village until the last year or so. There were always late payers, but not 8 houses refusing to pay.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Did you own the house or were you renting? We never had a problem in our village until the last year or so. There were always late payers, but not 8 houses refusing to pay.

I owned on one of them and rented in the other 2.

16 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

How much is the maintenance fee, paid monthly?

At the moment it is 6 monthly, but it's flexible, you could choose to pay monthly if you wished. I pay 14000 baht a year.

5 hours ago, PJ71 said:

It's totally relevant, he's many more options if he's only renting, it makes things much easier.

No it doesn't, if you live somewhere you want the area to be clean and all the services available. To say otherwise is totally naive of you.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

No it doesn't, if you live somewhere you want the area to be clean and all the services available. To say otherwise is totally naive of you.

Is it easier to move from a rented house or owned property?

17 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Is it easier to move from a rented house or owned property?

You'd probably have to see the lease out if rented. If I'd rented for the 13 years instead of buying the house, I would have paid at least 3 million baht in rent, dead money. When I cark it my partner still has over 4 million baht equity in the house.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

We have a lot of this, as far as I know only an attachment at the land office can be made where a house cannot be sold unless the back payments are made

Not much good if the owners are there for 30 years.

27 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You'd probably have to see the lease out if rented. If I'd rented for the 13 years instead of buying the house, I would have paid at least 3 million baht in rent, dead money. When I cark it my partner still has over 4 million baht equity in the house.

that's great.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I think it would be a complete nightmare living in a gated community with uptight farang and selfish middle class thai's with their barking rat dogs. Not for me. 

Define uptight?

We have middle to upper Thai's, some with dogs but none of them bark incessantly or even occasionally.......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Although certainly an eyesore empty houses won't generate garbage etc.

Well it dilutes the pot shall we say for those paying for street lighting, service of common areas and facilities, security  that sort of thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 1:17 PM, proton said:

We have a lot of this, as far as I know only an attachment at the land office can be made where a house cannot be sold unless the back payments are made

You are correct, the juristic only has to register the non payment with the land office and the property cannot be transfered if sold until the lien is cleared. Not sure if interest payments are added, but at the end of the day it will be payable if the want to sell.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

My friend rents in a project, half the units are empty, the place looks like a bomb shelter in bahkmut! Very few pay monthly bills, it’s a totall mess!

can’t sell, he’s kicking himself in the arse for buying!

You said he rents, then you said he's kicking himself for buying...which is it??

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2023 at 1:57 PM, jimn said:

You are effected just as much as a renter as an owner. Dont you care if security disappears, bins dont get emptied, swimming pool closes and the roads don't get swept?

He does not because he can move to another condo.

7 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

My friend rents in a project, half the units are empty, the place looks like a bomb shelter in bahkmut! Very few pay monthly bills, it’s a totall mess!

can’t sell, he’s kicking himself in the arse for buying!

You said he rents... nothing to stop him moving on. 

Have the village committee members approached those not paying and ask them why? In a friendly non-confrontational manner of course.

Another option is to print out a letter (in English & Thai) explaining the fees and pass it out to everyone's mailbox, then follow-up after a few days with a door-to-door visit with many residents, especially with those those not paying.