Where are you doing Xmas Day?

georgegeorgia

I have a few Christmas puddings that I haven’t got around to eating. The good thing is that they are soaked in alcohol, so they get better with age. The bad thing is that I’m not that fond of alcohol, so don’t bother to eat them ☺️

C1ED979A-3A87-4352-9FDC-181C94AE7BBA.thumb.jpeg.d20e54b0b5fd409a0ac4e024ccd79cb0.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Turn the aircon down to 22C at 8.00am. Prepare Xmas lunch for a 2.00pm start. Eat, drink and be merry with family and friends until the sun goes down, then loosen the top button of one's trousers and sit outside with a glass of something nice.

I have cooked our traditional Xmas lunch every year since moving here in 2005 - I've started planning the menu and I'm looking forward to the day.

So what are you having? Not a fan of turkey, as it’s relatively tasteless. Instead would go for goose, though a bit fatty. 

50 minutes ago, NextG said:

I have a few Christmas puddings that I haven’t got around to eating. The good thing is that they are soaked in alcohol, so they get better with age. The bad thing is that I’m not that fond of alcohol, so don’t bother to eat them ☺️

C1ED979A-3A87-4352-9FDC-181C94AE7BBA.thumb.jpeg.d20e54b0b5fd409a0ac4e024ccd79cb0.jpeg

Most are horrible

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

We will be having a turkey dinner on Xmas Eve with family, at theirs.

So, on Xmas day, roast leg of lamb (NZ) and roast pork with crackling, roasted veg, cauliflower cheese, Mashed potatoes with cream and scallions, Yorkshire puddings etc.

Haven't decided on the starter or sweet yet, but a cheeseboard, crackers and home-made bread rolls to finish.

We'll probably be eating leftovers for a few days after.

Sounds good. But do you think there’ll be space for bread rolls after all that? 

• Thanks 1

In bed late, as FM 95 concert the day before, then get up and start on the single malt and tramadol, frozen veg dinner (mrs does not cook) and Sainsbury's Christmas pud and custard followed by brandy and port. Probably watch a daft film PM where the mrs will fall asleep. 

44 minutes ago, proton said:

In bed late, as FM 95 concert the day before, then get up and start on the single malt and tramadol, frozen veg dinner (mrs does not cook) and Sainsbury's Christmas pud and custard followed by brandy and port. Probably watch a daft film PM where the mrs will fall asleep. 

I don’t have custard, which is partially the reason why I haven’t eaten any Christmas puddings. Brandy butter isn’t appealing to me. Need to practice making custard before Christmas. 

51 minutes ago, proton said:

Frozen veg? Surely you can do better than that. Christmas is the time to remember to be kind to others…. and yourself. 
Tramadol doesn’t sound good either. But probably you are afraid of the alternatives. 

10 hours ago, NextG said:

Instead would go for goose, though a bit fatty. 

'Set me googling. Not avail in Chiang Mai. 2K baht for a full one at a couple of places in Bangkok.

Very hard to cook right. Gotta be eaten very hot due to the grease factor.

More crispy skin than meat ratio compared to duck. A half a goose is enough for two people. It's been decades. 'Will def indulged next time I go to BKK.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/1413122/your-goose-is-cooked-on-soi-26

18 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

I will be working.  Xmas day is test day in Thai schools.  So I will be an exam invigilator.

The Thai testing system is the most out of date and confusing thing.

Everything is in Thai writing but we expected to do it.  Draw the seating plan on the whiteboard, arrange the desks in that order, hand the papers out in that order except there are two year groups in each room so now the papers are different because one groups is doing math and the other is doing science so now we collect the papers except math finished after 1 hour and science is 40 minutes so now we collect the papers and put them into your fingers in a certain order (the thai teacher insisted that I stack 20 papers between my fingers and another 20 between the others so they are 'in order') but we check them again anyway so collect the papers except 3 students are not finished so now there is no order and also walk up the rows in order and skip every other row because there are two subjects also ask the students to tear apart certain pages now sort the papers into different bags except the torn pages go on top and now use a huge metal spike to stab 15 test papers (i actually saw one thai teacher bleeding blood over the papers because she had cut herself) put the papers into the bags and take them to the office.  do it again for the next 5 days.

Sounds like a fun way to spend Xmas day.