Where are you doing Xmas Day?

georgegeorgia

On 12/8/2023 at 4:27 PM, Doctor Tom said:

I think Thanksgiving was started by the new arrivals in the Americas, to thank the Native Americans, before their land was stolen, they were killed in their thousands and sent to reservations.  Seems to me that there is even less reason to celebrate that now? 

In the modern World, a good many of us can enjoy any dinner we want, at any time that we want.  There is nothing special about any day of the year to the even reasonably well off.  All of these holidays are designed and perpetuated, and even invented ( Black Friday), for multi Nationals to sell their stuff.  I need and want none of it. 

As I understand it, Thanksgiving celebrates when they were starving and the native Americans gave them enough food to survive. If the Native Americans had known what was coming, they'd have waited for them to starve to death and then danced on their graves, singing the equivalent of "Hallelujah".

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:51 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Yep. there's nothing like spending double the normal amount on a meal out, just because some bloke, who may or may not (probably not) have been  born on that date 2,000 odd years ago.  The Calendar was different in those days, so the date is no doubt way off anyway, even if he existed at all.   Sounds nuts to me, but there you go, it takes all sorts.  

Errrrrr. Xmas was a pagan festival that the early Christians nicked to remember the birth of Jesus, The tree and the gifts are nothing to do with the Christ- the tree is part of a pagan festival and the gifts were started by St Nicholas. Santa Claus was apparently started as advertising to sell Coca Cola, but I could be wrong on that, and I can't be bothered to go look it up as it doesn't matter anyway.

The point is that it was never about the baby Jesus to start with, and that it may never have happened in the way it's celebrated anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS, I'll really be celebrating as I bought an Xmas pudding with caramel sauce. The diabetes isn't going to make me go blind for just one treat a year.

Your in New Zealand,so gonna be hot I think there? 

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I get a time machine for Xmas I'm going to go back and assassinate the group that sang Snoopy's Christmas, before they made the record.

If I hear that <deleted> song one more time i'll.......................................

How bout some Baby Shark ?

19 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Pattaya is the last place on Earth where you need to be alone for more than a few minutes of arriving. 3,000 Baht paid to the right person will guarantee company for 24 hours or more.

Im sure Bignok would even have Xmas dinner with you for 3,000 baht !

Save ya cash and buy a few bottles of cheap Thai  whisky and go sit on the Jomtien beach .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I get a time machine for Xmas I'm going to go back and assassinate the group that sang Snoopy's Christmas, before they made the record.

If I hear that <deleted> song one more time i'll.......................................

I'd kill the anti social bxxxxxd who penned Jingle Bells.  The Thai stores play it on a loop,  from November until Song Kran, it drives me crazy.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your in New Zealand,so gonna be hot I think there? 

It's actually been pretty cool recently- climate change???????

Not that it ever gets cold enough to snow on North Island plains.

Normally it'd be baking hot, but I've only used the AC twice in past month.

Edited by thaibeachlovers