Where are you doing Xmas Day?

georgegeorgia

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I hate Xmas day and for those of us old we sometimes have bad memories 

Also my brother used to be a policeman in Australia,every Xmas day it was calls out to family fights at Xmas family parties , old uncle Joe gets drunk has a fight with Uncle Ben he hasn't seen since 1974 etc 

They call the cops then don't want to lay charges 

Same with domestics in Xmas day all getting drunk and fighting

Did Uncle Ben want All of the rice?  :giggle:

a5663e3f-46a3-43af-a574-1455f84c9168_large.png.8ed3b065ea410078d927753d0449304f.png

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

Staying at home contemplating how my home visit will go this year, if they have not already been, while under the consideration period for my extension, Mrs B will be at work in her shop, dressed in red and white and will properly get pished. :giggle::cheesy::giggle:  :drunk:<-wife

The last 3 years I've gone to Chiangmai for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.  Once at Chiangmai smokehouse for their thanksgiving buffet.  The rest at The Dukes.  Dukes switched the last 2 years from a buffet to a set meal service.  Still large portions though.

4 years ago I went to Bourbon Street Restaurant in Bangkok for their Thanksgiving and Christmas buffet meals.

The year before that we did Thanksgiving at home.  But a frozen Turkey costs over 3,000 baht.  So I figure why not spend that and let someone else do all the work.

I've considered trying some of the hotel holiday meals but they are quite abit more expensive.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK, then...

WHO are you doing on Xmas Day?

Your landlady?

Regards Gamma

Don't have one ,maybe if I did and she was my type ......

Regards Worgeordie  copyright* 

• Haha 1

We will be having our regular village/family "Booze-up-n-Barbie" on Sunday 24th.

I may do a roast pork loin with roast tatties, veggies and DIY sage and onion stuffing, but the family will likely scarf the lot before I get a look-in :sad:

I'm supposed to be working on the 25th, I may WFH :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, rwill said:

The last 3 years I've gone to Chiangmai for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.  Once at Chiangmai smokehouse for their thanksgiving buffet.  The rest at The Dukes.  Dukes switched the last 2 years from a buffet to a set meal service.  Still large portions though.

4 years ago I went to Bourbon Street Restaurant in Bangkok for their Thanksgiving and Christmas buffet meals.

The year before that we did Thanksgiving at home.  But a frozen Turkey costs over 3,000 baht.  So I figure why not spend that and let someone else do all the work.

I've considered trying some of the hotel holiday meals but they are quite abit more expensive.

Yep. there's nothing like spending double the normal amount on a meal out, just because some bloke, who may or may not (probably not) have been  born on that date 2,000 odd years ago.  The Calendar was different in those days, so the date is no doubt way off anyway, even if he existed at all.   Sounds nuts to me, but there you go, it takes all sorts.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Yep. there's nothing like spending double the normal amount on a meal out, just because some bloke, who may or may not (probably not) have been  born on that date 2,000 odd years ago.  The Calendar was different in those days, so the date is no doubt way off anyway, even if he existed at all.   Sounds nuts to me, but there you go, it takes all sorts.  

I just enjoy having a turkey dinner once in awhile.  Nothing to do with religion.  Humans would be better off without religions.  Anyway thanksgiving is a harvest festival.  Giving thanks for having enough food to make it through winter.

Edited by rwill

Two years ago, on BOXING DAY, I had lunch at The Caddyshack, Pattaya. It was delicious, almost identical to the one which had been served on Christmas day --- and half the price! 

AFAIK Christmas isn't celebrated in Thailand (previous respondents have referred to it being a work day or a school day) so why should a meal in a restaurant cost extortionate amounts of money. 

Back in the UK, one would expect to have to pay staff a large bonus to encourage them to leave their families in order to serve a load of strangers a Christmas lunch/dinner. I don't suppose Thai staff expect, or receive such a special bonus?

I'll probably take my GF and her daughter for a Xmas Buffet at one of the top hotels in Bangkok. 

A few years ago we went to the St Regis which was very nice. 

Their Xmas Eve Brunch is 5,000 baht ++ per person with free flow Verve Clicquot and 1,500 ++ for her daughter. 

Xmas Eve Dinner is 5,600 ++ and 1,800 ++  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rwill said:

Anyway thanksgiving is a harvest festival.  Giving thanks for having enough food to make it through winter.

I think Thanksgiving was started by the new arrivals in the Americas, to thank the Native Americans, before their land was stolen, they were killed in their thousands and sent to reservations.  Seems to me that there is even less reason to celebrate that now? 

In the modern World, a good many of us can enjoy any dinner we want, at any time that we want.  There is nothing special about any day of the year to the even reasonably well off.  All of these holidays are designed and perpetuated, and even invented ( Black Friday), for multi Nationals to sell their stuff.  I need and want none of it. 

We'll be going to Central Florista Phuket, at the front of Tops they have a Chicago style diner, they have all the normal stuff Turkey Ham Pork and all the trimmings plus many other things if you dont fancy that, lots of starters to choose from,

What they do is you go around and pick what you want and how much, then they weigh, my wife likes it she can just get what she wants to eat, not like a buffet. loads of different stuffing's and sauces to choose from,

Last year they sold out of Turkey that was around mid day, I think they miscalculated it last year, we have been for the last couple of years and I see lots of people come to take away, one guy ordered 5 turkeys,

Another thing I like is you can go into Tops and buy a bottle of wine or beer and take it to the restaurant and they don't charge you any extra, 

Well. we'll be having a little virtual Christmas.

I'll be working at he airport until 2pm.

Then plan a little virtual get get together with the American and Thai kids, grandkids in California and Colorado,

Then me and MrsG will be packing up for our trip to Iceland, Sweden and onwards to our home in Thailand for the winter

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

'Set me googling. Not avail in Chiang Mai. 2K baht for a full one at a couple of places in Bangkok.

Very hard to cook right. Gotta be eaten very hot due to the grease factor.

More crispy skin than meat ratio compared to duck. A half a goose is enough for two people. It's been decades. 'Will def indulged next time I go to BKK.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/1413122/your-goose-is-cooked-on-soi-26

That for me is one of the joys of Christmas. To treat yourselves to things you wouldn’t have every day. To ‘splash out’ as it were. More time taken for food preparation, more of your favourite things. 
@proton and his ‘frozen veg’ meal is an insult to himself. At least roast some fresh ones. Make an effort. Try something different. 

18 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Turn the aircon down to 22C at 8.00am. Prepare Xmas lunch for a 2.00pm start. Eat, drink and be merry with family and friends until the sun goes down, then loosen the top button of one's trousers and sit outside with a glass of something nice.

I have cooked our traditional Xmas lunch every year since moving here in 2005 - I've started planning the menu and I'm looking forward to the day.

Sounds great 😃👍

Are we all not invited? 😮

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

We will be having our regular village/family "Booze-up-n-Barbie" on Sunday 24th.

I may do a roast pork loin with roast tatties, veggies and DIY sage and onion stuffing, but the family will likely scarf the lot before I get a look-in :sad:

I'm supposed to be working on the 25th, I may WFH :whistling:

It's great to work from home 😁

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, Doctor Tom said:

One of the great pleasures with living in Thailand is that I can ignore Christmas.  I am not religious and neither do I like getting ripped off with Christmas BS and over pricing.  It's a normal day for me, no different to any other. 

Same here - enjoying that Christmas is just another day without all the fuss and bs.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, Doctor Tom said:

I think Thanksgiving was started by the new arrivals in the Americas, to thank the Native Americans, before their land was stolen, they were killed in their thousands and sent to reservations.  Seems to me that there is even less reason to celebrate that now? 

In the modern World, a good many of us can enjoy any dinner we want, at any time that we want.  There is nothing special about any day of the year to the even reasonably well off.  All of these holidays are designed and perpetuated, and even invented ( Black Friday), for multi Nationals to sell their stuff.  I need and want none of it. 

Hear Hear!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Finspin said:

It’s a good question and got me thinking.

I arrive in jomtiem on the 19th from the UK. I’m assuming I will have to book somewhere.

Hope wherever I go has a table for the single billy no mates.

Pattaya is the last place on Earth where you need to be alone for more than a few minutes of arriving. 3,000 Baht paid to the right person will guarantee company for 24 hours or more.

• Haha 2

Probably the same as I'm doing now. It's too dangerous on the roads with all the city drivers that don't know how to drive in the country going to visit auntie Mabel, with the cheapest gift they could find wrapped in nice paper to fool her, to chance going to the beach, which will be full of drunk youths anyway.

I buy a lot of DVDs from op shops and thank the people that gave the auntie Mabels of the country a nice new DVD that they bought on special, which she never watched, as I get to buy them for $1, never taken out of the box.

• Haha 1