Ashes back to Thailand?

swissie

A Thai Lady living 20 years in my home country. Upon her demise, she would like to have her ashes brought back to Thailand.

Question: Can the urn be sent to Thailand by way of UPS, DHL etc? Or can be part of "the luggage" on a regular flight?

Can do? Has anyone done this?

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

DHL, it's a little expensive. (like $300?).

Illegal to bring remains on to a plane (tho plenty do).

Interesting. I will be in a similar situation in the foreseeable future. Would you share your resource/link stating that it’s illegal? THX

• Agree 1

It is my experience having worked in airline security that you are not prevented from taking ashes onto an airplane however you should remove the vessel holding these ashes from your carry on luggage and declare to the officer what the vessel contains.

The reason for this is the ashes are opaque and they may swab the vessel containing the ashes for explosive residue.

Please note this was the practice in Australia approx. 5 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Illegal to bring remains on to a plane (tho plenty do).

This is 100% wrong. It is not illegal to take ashes on a flight.

When someone is cremated, tell staff at the crematorium that you plan to take the ashes on board a flight and they will prepare a document for you stating what the ashes are. Usually this is not required to be shown to anyone but should anyone ask, you have this document to produce.

It goes without saying that you should take the ashes with you on board with your carry on luggage, lest your checked luggage get lost in transit and the ashes lost!

• Like 1