How do I learn the visa laws?

People posting often refer to 'official laws'  and I would like to learn these. (What types of border crossings, etc.)  I would also like to know the latest changes to the yearly retirement visa (a retirement visa issued for one year by an agent.) Where would I find these? Thank you.

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

(a retirement visa issued for one year by an agent.)

Agents do not issue visas or extensions of stay - and are not a legal means to obtain more than assistance in getting such from a Consulate or Immigration.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I would also like to know the latest changes to the yearly retirement visa (a retirement visa issued for one year by an agent.) Where would I find these?

It's actually an "extension based on retirement" 

By way of example I just searched "extension retirement CW with agent AseanNow" 

The screenshot attached shows all the threads on that question.

Screenshot_20231208-085554.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Hi Lopburi etc.  I knew I'd be walking into the lion's den by posting this question.  /despite the inaccuracy of my wording, how do I find information about requirements for the yearly retirement visa (not the lifetime one)?

Lite Beer gave you the official link in the post just before yours (12 month retirement extension is item 22)

In the same website you can find the official requirements for the initial non-immgration O visa, which I've linked for you (item 9)

https://www.immigration.go.th/en?page_id=2537

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you are asking about the non immigrant O-A visa you get the information from your home country Thai Embassy/Consulate section (requirements vary by country).  That provides a one year stay on arrival and if multi entry (valid for one year) an entry on last day of validity would still provide one year stay from that date.  The current issue with this visa is that special medical insurance is required for full time of any stay so can be a bit difficult to coordinate for those able to get insurance and a nightmare for those too old for insurance.  Also any extension of stay from such a visa entry continues to require the medical insurance.

6 hours ago, cubism001 said:

People posting often refer to 'official laws'  and I would like to learn these. (What types of border crossings, etc.)  I would also like to know the latest changes to the yearly retirement visa (a retirement visa issued for one year by an agent.) Where would I find these? Thank you.

Years of dedicated study. A bit faster via Google School or the ChatGPT Institute of Advanced Knowledge.

• Haha 1

Although unofficial but usually up to date, at least for practices at the Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration Office, the Pattaya City Expats Club website has a section devoted to Thai Immigration issues including links to English translations of the Immigration Rules for extending one's stay. 

Go to their home page - https://pcec.club/.  

One of the topics listed along the top is THAI IMMIGRATION.  Clicking on that will bring up the main page.  If you are using a mouse, you can navigate direct to a sub page with more specific information on types of services/requirements by hovering the mouse cursor over the sub topic and then clicking on the sub topic to go direct to that web page.

• Thanks 2

On 12/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, novacova said:

All the laws are readily available at the immigration office, which is where the final say is. 

Agree, in theory but ... the final say appears to be the IO you are standing in front of at the local office and the results to the same situation varies according to the office and the officer, at the particular day, particular hour ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, kimothai said:

I would also like to know the latest changes to the yearly retirement visa (a retirement visa issued for one year by an agent.) Where would I find these? Thank you.

You need to specify which Immigration office you are using.

Chiang Mai, airport - the only one left, I believe.  But I relied on private companies & it was fine until a month ago. Then one after another, they couldn't do this 15 month retirement visa, even a powerful company that I never doubted. I'm trying to learn the 'rules' so I don't step out of line again crossing borders until I have to move. It looks like the govt. simply wants younger, more affluent people now. I'll probably end up in a dustier less sanitary version of Thailand, at least until I save some cash to go elsewhere.  How about you? I've posted everywhere. Maybe martial arts schools offer visas for a price? They did during covid. Thanks for posting.  

51 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Chiang Mai, airport - the only one left, I believe.  But I relied on private companies & it was fine until a month ago. Then one after another, they couldn't do this 15 month retirement visa, even a powerful company that I never doubted. I'm trying to learn the 'rules' so I don't step out of line again crossing borders until I have to move. It looks like the govt. simply wants younger, more affluent people now. I'll probably end up in a dustier less sanitary version of Thailand, at least until I save some cash to go elsewhere.  How about you? I've posted everywhere. Maybe martial arts schools offer visas for a price? They did during covid. Thanks for posting.  

So you have been entering Thailand every 15 months visa exempt or with tourist visa and agent was converting to non immigrant O visa entry for 90 days to allow TM7 extension of stay for retirement?

The age requirement has not changed.  But it seems you do not meet the normal financial requirements and that the alternative 'agent' method is now being closed.

As has been said there are alternative destinations to explore if not tied to Thailand and you wish to explore them.  As for Thailand things can change from one day to another so you might be able to find another door if this is now closed or temporarily move to greener pastures if not.  

• Thanks 1

Kiimothai, now the larger visa company (in bkk) says they'll have a new quota of 15 month visas like you asked about. The issue with all the companies lies in the non O financial requirement (800,000 bhat), which is why so many of us get these 15 month extensions. But her quota is limited and timing is not 100% assured.  I'm willing to try though.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So you have been entering Thailand every 15 months visa exempt or with tourist visa and agent was converting to non immigrant O visa entry for 90 days to allow TM7 extension of stay for retirement?

The age requirement has not changed.  But it seems you do not meet the normal financial requirements and that the alternative 'agent' method is now being closed.

As has been said there are alternative destinations to explore if not tied to Thailand and you wish to explore them.  As for Thailand things can change from one day to another so you might be able to find another door if this is now closed or temporarily move to greener pastures if not.  

Yes, social security does not extend to 800,000 bhat, even when a person is a retired teacher. Yet I could live like a worthy human being. It was refreshing.  The Dalai Lama calls it 'living with dignity.' Perhaps it will work out again. It does teach us a few lessons, though, about how flippant people are, willing to ridicule fellow ex-pats. The Thai immigration officer was in good company...

2 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Yes, social security does not extend to 800,000 bhat, even when a person is a retired teacher. Yet I could live like a worthy human being. It was refreshing.  The Dalai Lama calls it 'living with dignity.' Perhaps it will work out again. It does teach us a few lessons, though, about how flippant people are, willing to ridicule fellow ex-pats. The Thai immigration officer was in good company...

Which might make Philippines a good alternative - it would not require nest egg of 800k as you can live there 3 years on a tourist visa and pay as you go.  And living outside cities can be quite cheap.  But things go slow and infrastructure/food will not be anywhere near Thailand.  But on the other hand people can be very nice.  Not sure of costs to maintain entry in Cambodia but that might also work.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:37 AM, cubism001 said:

You can find English translation of the various rules and police orders – just Google, if no links are shared – but the different immigration offices might have their own regulations on top. Furthermore, when entering a country it's in general up to the individual immigration officer's judgement, to allow your entry; however, they will often call for support from a superior officer, if they are in doubt.

HERE is a link to the official site of visas,

and HERE is an official Royal Thai Consulate-link with detailed explanations.

3 hours ago, kimothai said:

I would also like to know the latest changes to the yearly retirement visa (a retirement visa issued for one year by an agent.) Where would I find these? Thank you.

The obvious thing is to phone the agent and ask them. They must speak English.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Kiimothai, now the larger visa company (in bkk) says they'll have a new quota of 15 month visas like you asked about. The issue with all the companies lies in the non O financial requirement (800,000 bhat), which is why so many of us get these 15 month extensions. But her quota is limited and timing is not 100% assured.  I'm willing to try though.

There's no such thing as a 15 month visa, as you've been told already. You say you want to learn but then you reject the knowledge given to you by the in-the-know guys 🤦

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

There's no such thing as a 15 month visa, as you've been told already. You say you want to learn but then you reject the knowledge given to you by the in-the-know guys 🤦

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa will give you a stay of 15 months if you time your border hops correctly.

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa will give you a stay of 15 months if you time your border hops correctly.

But OP says it is a retirement visa and does not mention any border hops - are agents sending passports on international 90 day border trips again?

Edited by lopburi3

23 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

I have a degree in English, a tesol, and I hold the most powerful passport in the world.

No you don't!

You can't even move to EU freely..... and you vacations are only 90 days max during 180 days.

Time to rejoin - Welcome back -:)

"British citizens' EU citizenship and free movement rights ended when the Brexit transition period expired on 31 December 2020."

Otherwise I agree with you and you were abused.