Renewal of extension of stay based on marriage

My first renewal is due 21dec. Went to local immigration to get the latest checklist.
1) They said same as last year with one additional info required from me: proof you’re free to marry certificate. The document we get from our embassy prior to getting married  here in Thailand. We had to have that 7 years ago when we got married. So why they ask for it?

2) we plan to travel to USA for Christmas and new year. Considering the permit will not be issued until after we come back does that cause an issue when I get back to Thailand? 
I hold an Australian passport. Alternatively if we submit the application in the next day or so, is there a way to speed up the process?

thanks in advance. 

You could consider a 60 day extension to visa wife and also a reentry permit then apply for your extension when you return to Thailand.

If you had asked earlier I would have suggested agent as generally they can assist with early application especially with flights out of Thailand. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You could consider a 60 day extension to visa wife and also a reentry permit then apply for your extension when you return to Thailand.

If you had asked earlier I would have suggested agent as generally they can assist with early application especially with flights out of Thailand. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

My first renewal is due 21dec. Went to local immigration to get the latest checklist.
1) They said same as last year with one additional info required from me: proof you’re free to marry certificate. The document we get from our embassy prior to getting married  here in Thailand. We had to have that 7 years ago when we got married. So why they ask for it?

2) we plan to travel to USA for Christmas and new year. Considering the permit will not be issued until after we come back does that cause an issue when I get back to Thailand? 
I hold an Australian passport. Alternatively if we submit the application in the next day or so, is there a way to speed up the process?

thanks in advance. 

I can't help but think someone has made a mistake. If you are now married, how can you be free to marry? I remember having to get one of those to get married here in Thailand but I don't remember having to ever show it to Imm.. But it was 14 years ago, so maybe I just don't remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I can't help but think someone has made a mistake. If you are now married, how can you be free to marry? I remember having to get one of those to get married here in Thailand but I don't remember having to ever show it to Imm.. But it was 14 years ago, so maybe I just don't remember.

Yeah got me puzzled. I’ve learned not to argue with them. They said wanting to make sure you aren’t married to other people too. Doesn’t make sense unless incidents of multiple married cases have been seen and they try to clamp down on it. I hope they’re not asking for a new certificate because I’m taking the original one. We’ll finding out Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

thanks in advance. 

Maybe the "proof you’re free to marry certificate" is the Khor Ror (คร) 2 Marriage Registration paper that's available from the local District Office. Perhaps something lost in translation. Usually printed off while you wait, 20 baht at our local office.

• Like 2

I agree with MartinL, it could be the certificate you get from your local amphur office that proves you are still married, i normally get mine a day before i go to immigration,hopefully this is the case for you, as what they are asking for makes no sense.

Do you still have the affirmation of freedom to marry form, which maybe you got before you got married ?  perhaps its that form they want.

Anyway i wish all the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:03 PM, MartinL said:

Maybe the "proof you’re free to marry certificate" is the Khor Ror (คร) 2 Marriage Registration paper that's available from the local District Office. Perhaps something lost in translation. Usually printed off while you wait, 20 baht at our local office.

That would make sense. I've never heard of the 'free to marry certificate request' 

On 12/8/2023 at 7:51 PM, bunnydrops said:

Never been asked for that proof after being legally married, only KR2 confirmation from local Amphur dated the same day as your Extn application stating you are still legally married and not divorced.