Foreigners who order spicy dishes but modify them to be not spicy.

Everyman

14 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

It really should more accurately be called 'stir fried chicken/pork with basil'

That is also how it is called. I order a pad krapow khai kai dow, since I don't fancy pad krapow moo

What is Pad Kra Pao made of?

Ingredients. The key components include basil, which is stir-fried with ground meat (commonly beef, chicken or pork), garlic, sugar and Thai chili. The dish is seasoned with a combination of soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce.

Edited by BenStark

20 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I mean, if you ask for a chicken pad grapao, they are just gonna give you stir fried chicken anyway, right? 

There are only usually a few basil leaves to flavor the meat

It really should more accurately be called 'stir fried chicken/pork with basil'

Should it ??....     Cottage pie isn't a pie made of small cottages...  toad in the hole isn't actually a toad...  there is no rabbit in Welsh Rabbit (also know as Welsh Rarebit), mince pies don't have any mince beef (or meat of another kind) in them... 

The one that makes me chuckle is when vegetarians do their nut after ordering pineapple fried rice and they get those small Chinese sausage chunks !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, BenStark said:

That is also how it is called.

Yeah, but that's just a language thing.

You don't literally get a plateful of basil.

7 hours ago, BenStark said:

I order a pad krapow khai kai dow, since I don't fancy pad krapow moo

What is Pad Kra Pao made of?

Mostly meat and rice, a little basil and some other things. 

19 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Totally, I am tired of farangs pretending they aren't farangs and eating spicy <deleted> that I am not made for and causing every Thai person to think I want everything 'native', instead of being appropriate for a farang :)

Ok, tongue in cheek but there is a point here about not getting upset when not everyone wants to do 'Thailand' the way you do Thailand.

I think pineapple on pizza, mayonnaise on fries and ketchup on steak is disgusting but hey, if that's how people want to eat it, I am not going to let it bug me.

Pineapple on pizza or a burger is OK.

Agree mayonnaise on fries and ketchup on steak is a big no.

I have gleaned that most people here can’t just look at a Thai food menu and know immediately which dishes have chilis in them and actually don’t eat Thai food very much if at all. 

As far as Thai food being boring aside from chilis..that’s just ridiculous. 

Anyway, enjoy your 7-11 sandwiches and Lays. 

• Sad 1

On 12/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, Baht Simpson said:
On 12/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Thais don't know what spices are, all they know are chillies and ironically it was the dirty foreigner who introduced them to it

Demonstrably untrue. We have a shop here that has sacks of about 20 diffeerent spices, all used in cooking. It's true that a few of them are more widely used though.

If you've never been there, I highly recommend a visit to this shop in Chinatown BKK.  In the small alley next to the new(ish) Wat Mangkon MRT station. About 50 meters into the alley.   Amazing selection of hundreds of spices.  I always end up with a dozen or so every time I happen by there.

http://www.nguansoon.com/index.php?page=about&lang=_en

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had another disgusting pile of garbage served to me that was supposedly Thai food. Utterly bland and inedible. I barely touched it, just paid and left. And that’s after a big long explanation that I didn’t want it that way. <deleted> “farangitized” it anyway and i wasted 150 baht. 

On 12/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, Ralf001 said:

Good for you champ.

If we all had the same palate the world would be boring.

I’ve been thinking about your comment and realized that there’s a big difference between liking different kinds of food and DISliking an entire cuisine. It doesn’t make the world more interesting, it’s just close minded.

Edited by Everyman