Amway

Kevin1908

I was dragfwed ito Amway by a supposed friend and soon got sickened of all the "motivation" stuiff and the fact the "business" seemed to rotate round selling tapes and books for "self-improvement" - the products themselves, well we sold some makeup to somebody and they came out in a rash - supposedly "Cliniuque" property. Left as I soom i was twigged on.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I was dragfwed ito Amway by a supposed friend and soon got sickened of all the "motivation" stuiff and the fact the "business" seemed to rotate round selling tapes and books for "self-improvement" - the products themselves, well we sold some makeup to somebody and they came out in a rash - supposedly "Cliniuque" property. Left as I soom i was twigged on.

Nonsense I was a member of Amway for many years still buy their products today.. 

How much money can you make with Amway? (amwayglobal.com)

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

:burp:

• Sad 1

It had a bad name in Australia back in the 80's and 90's for reasons noted above i.e. people would join and would sell stuff and look to get others to sell for them. The products were OK.

Many would try to sell to family and friends, or get family and friends, to join and sell on their behalf. They sold it as a way of having your own business so your dreams could come true. 

So you might get a call saying 'Hi. Long time no see. You want to come over for a drink'  .. you would go and get  the hard sell. 

There was a song by a band called TISM called 'Death Death Death Amway Amway Amway; that indicated how some felt. 

Not sure if Amway in Thailand in 2023 has a similar concept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

I do buy Amway products they are pretty good but not cheap, and no it is not a pyramid scheme. 

What? So, there are not people at the top, and sellers under them in a tier system?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

The reason I asked is that a Thai woman I chat with on line said the she is working for Amway. I hope she hasn't been conned into joining a pyramid scheme.

Most probably, she is not working for Amway, but sell their products. That makes her something they name distributor. In reality, same as selling on commission.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Most probably, she is not working for Amway, but sell their products. That makes her something they name distributor. In reality, same as selling on commission.

Yes I gather that is what they are doing. So they pester their friends and family to buy Amway stuff then they get commission on sales. Is that right? I can't see how they can make enough sales to get a living income.

My soon to be ex sells Protein Bota B. She buys it for 3500 baht or there abouts and only makes 200 baht per sale. Less of course her costs in sendiing it to her customer. I assume also this is a pyramid that she had to buy into. For the amount she sells it seems a hell of a lot of effort and outlay for very little return.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

23 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

The reason I asked is that a Thai woman I chat with on line said the she is working for Amway. I hope she hasn't been conned into joining a pyramid scheme.

If she sells products on her own she doesn't work for Amway she works for herself. Working for Amway means she works in a shop or distribution centre, etc and is on their books. A distributor is NOT paid by Amway and needs to keep own records including for taxation.

People go on about a pyramid scheme. Price is the same for distributors to buy and same price for customers. In a pyramid scheme the prices keep going up. And have you ever thought about your local retail store? Price goes up from all through the chain to the customer. Probably less increase through Amway. At least in Amway you can see the prices from buying from Amway itself and. Can't see how much your bottle of milk costs Big C or whoever to sell to you..

• Sad 1

Amway is a multi-level marketing company, which basically means it is a pyramid scheme.

Their goods are ok quality, but not special, AND expensive. Not crazy expensive, but expensive. 

They make the lions share of their money from the various sales associates they have, that buy product for themselves...

Very few people do well "money wise" working for them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Yep, YouTube must be correct.

I been in Amway since 1980. NOT a pyramid scheme.

Thats strange, so many say it is a pyramid scheme. In my experience of being pressured by people to buy their over priced products I would say it's a social nuisance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My parents were Amway distributor in Hong Kong, they started their Amway business in the late 70's (We arrived there in 1973, Amway opened in 1974) 

They made good money doing it and my mother raved about the products until she passed away last year. 

Multi level marketing isn't easy, like any business you have to work hard, and not everyone is cut-out to make money in that type of business.   It depends a lot on who your sponsor is and how much help they give you.  My parents were fortunate to be sponsored by one of the two Diamond level distributors in HK. 
I believe they reached the Ruby level although it may have been higher.   

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Thats strange, so many say it is a pyramid scheme. In my experience of being pressured by people to buy their over priced products I would say it's a social nuisance. 

I been in it 43 years and do know a little about but you can believe what you want.