typical retiree (foreign home) situation

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't know how else to explain it to you! When you reach the expiration date of your visa and you want to remain in Thailand, you can't renew your visa, you can either leave, buy a new one and then return, or, you can extend your stay in country based on the reason you stated when you acquired your initial visa. Once that visa expiration date is reached and you have acquired an extension of stay, you no longer have a visa. A visa is nothing more than permission to enter the country for a defined period of time, an extention of stay is permission to remain, after the expiration of that visa.

Are you getting there yet?.

Why so much trouble with renewing visas then?  Couldn't everyone make a case to Immigration that there visa has exired and they wish to extend their stay to be with family?  What is the length of the typical extension?  

Just now, jaxon said:

Why so much trouble with renewing visas then?  Couldn't everyone make a case to Immigration that there visa has exired and they wish to extend their stay to be with family?  What is the length of the typical extension?  

NOBODY renews their visa here, you can't do that. All EVERYONE can do is extend their stay for a specific purpose.

I have a one year extension of stay, based on marriage. Every year I extend my stay in Thailand for one year for reason of marriage. I don't know what other do but it will certainly be a variant of that.

A visa is a physical piece of paper that is fastened into your passport, an extension of stay is a series of stamps. The starting point is whatever reason you gave for acquiring the visa in the first place, if you you want to extend your stay for a different reason, you have to go through a process to change that reason.

39 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

NOBODY renews their visa here, you can't do that. All EVERYONE can do is extend their stay for a specific purpose.

I have a one year extension of stay, based on marriage. Every year I extend my stay in Thailand for one year for reason of marriage. I don't know what other do but it will certainly be a variant of that.

A visa is a physical piece of paper that is fastened into your passport, an extension of stay is a series of stamps. The starting point is whatever reason you gave for acquiring the visa in the first place, if you you want to extend your stay for a different reason, you have to go through a process to change that reason.

Ah ok, got it.  So does the "extension of stay" based on marriage typically have requirements for health insurance and finances (800K / 65K pm)?   Or is it case by case.

2 minutes ago, jaxon said:

Ah ok, got it.  So does the "extension of stay" based on marriage typically have requirements for health insurance and finances (800K / 65K pm)?   Or is it case by case.

The first requirement is to have a wife, the second is to have 400k in the bank, 2 months prior and 3 following your extension date. I do not know is there is a monthly option, others will tell you. No, health insurance is not mandatory. Expect a visit from Immi on your first extension, they want to see that everything is real! 4 photographs (varies by location), one of you and wifey at the front, one at the front gate showing the house number and two inside the house, new pictures every year. Complete a slew of forms, duplicate required, sign every page of both and develop RSI. Passport gets stamped for month month, noting that your application is pending approval. Visit Immi on the date of your rewal and get stamped for a further 11 months.