Blow to Biden as poll shows Trump in lead for 2024 presidential election

CharlieH

image.png

Donald Trump has nudged ahead of Joe Biden in national polling for the 2024 presidential election, a survey published on Saturday revealed, a day after the US president branded his predecessor as “despicable” at an event in California.

The Wall Street Journal poll shows Biden with the lowest approval rating of his presidency, a finding broadly in line with other recent studies that have sparked concern in Democratic circles less than a year before voters go to the polls.

It shows Trump leading Biden by four points, 47% to 43%, the first time this survey has shown that the former US president is favored in a head-to-head test of the likely 2024 White House matchup, the WSJ said.

When five potential third-party and independent candidates are included, drawing a combined 17% support, Trump’s lead expands to six points, 37-31.

Although Biden has expressed his desire to run for a second term, many in the Democratic party would like to see him stand down, fearing his advancing age – 81 on election day and 86 after eight years in the White House if he wins next year – will turn off voters.

The indictment of the president’s son, Hunter Biden, in California on Thursday on nine criminal tax charges places additional obstacles in his path to re-election.

Meanwhile Trump, despite leading the race for the Republican nomination by almost 50 points, according to RealClearPolitics, is no shoo-in either, largely because of his own multiple legal woes. The candidate who will himself be 78 on polling day remains in peril from four concurrent criminal cases against him, some over his illegal efforts to overturn Biden’s 2020 victory.

At a fundraiser on Friday night, Biden laid into Trump for his actions on 6 January 2021, the day of the Capitol riot by his supporters trying to prevent Congress certifying the election result.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

14 minutes ago, Denim said:

Hobsons choice.

At the moment,  other democracies around the world seem to be struggling with the same problem, a choice of bad or worse.

The folks with REAL money want global autocratic governments. One of the few good things 45 did (unknowingly I'm SURE) was have the US bow out of TPP.

• Confused 2

Not being an ageist or anything. But I think presidential candidates should have an age limit. It should be not more than 65, mentally and physically fit. You want a leader who "leads," the one when you see and listen, you'd feel a strong sense of leadership. Not the one you'd want to say, "Let's go Brandon" to or throw grumpy old tirades just for the heck of it. Gone are the days when it's hard to choose who you'd vote for because of their high qualifications, not just in the US but noticed in a lot of other countries too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Utterly horrendous choices, the American people should be given better alternatives, Biden should quit the campaign and be replaced with someone younger who has a better shot. The Biden/Harris ticket is horrendous, some like Biden, nobody likes Harris and Biden is way too old.

Trump is a terrible choice, he's way too corrupt, a wannabe fascist, and morally bankrupt. Perhaps the days of decent people running for that office in America are long gone, perhaps the nation is long gone. 

I agree with everything you say above. I don't know of any Democrat that could replace Trump on the ticket. Of everyone I do know of, I guess my first choice would be Pete Buttigieg, but since he's gay, I'm sure a lot of people would not vote for him. 

I think your last comment could unfortunately be true, "...perhaps the nation is long gone." :sad:

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Hobsons choice.

At the moment,  other democracies around the world seem to be struggling with the same problem, a choice of bad or worse.

Not all. NZ has a new government that people voted for, as well as against the previous shower. I voted for this time and not against as usual.

It's probably our last chance to save the country from disaster.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, WDSmart said:

thiabeachlovers, My original comment was not meant to imply that I like Biden. I don't think he's done a bad job, as many people do, but he would not be my first choice for president. HOWEVER, I would vote for ANYONE if they were running against Trump. My comment was meant to criticize my fellow countrymen for even considering voting for Trump. 

I got that, and I understand it completely. If I could have voted in the US in 2016 I'd have voted for donkey doo in preference to her. My preferred choice was Bernie, but they stabbed him in the back to put her up for it, and all I can say about that is thank the deity she didn't win.

I'd vote for Trump again, but only if Biden/Harris was the Dem's candidate. I'm not a fan of rich people.

You still need to look at WHY Trump is popular with millions of Americans and need look no further than congress.

Does anyone think people voted for Trump as a person? IMO they voted for him as a rebuke to Washington.

Sadly, the rest of the current lot of GOP candidates are no better than Trump, but Biden is a worse candidate because I just don't want Harris in charge.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No!! not at all , no one is preventing anyone else from running. Sitting presidents Usually run unopposed in the primary  for a second term . 

but he will be the official candidate and get the support of the party for money and workers. Candidates without that stand no chance.

I can understand a good president running unopposed, but that doesn't apply to Biden, too old, too doddery, talks to dead people.

30 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I agree with everything you say above. I don't know of any Democrat that could replace Trump on the ticket. Of everyone I do know of, I guess my first choice would be Pete Buttigieg, but since he's gay, I'm sure a lot of people would not vote for him. 

I think your last comment could unfortunately be true, "...perhaps the nation is long gone." :sad:

I was a supporter of Pete, and thought that he had a real future, until he completely dropped the ball with the airline fiasco. After offering the airlines tens of billions of dollars in relief money during covid, as soon as covid was finished the airlines began gouging the public like never before. Did Pete step up as the head of the Department of Transportation? No he didn't say a peep, he was Silent Pete, he was complicit, and only after people raised a huge fuss did he finally level a couple of very mild criticisms toward the airlines.

He forever lost all credibility during that period. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1