Which Travel Insurance for a Thai National?

gejohesch

Hi! I'm planning a trip next year, myself + my Thai partner (been with her for 15 years already, so not just a GF!). Trip duration about 4 months, of which 3 in Schengen area and 1 month outside Schengen (Mexico to be exact). I hesitate between 2 insurance options, 1) with ALLIANZ = "Worldwide Hiphop"; and 2) with AXA =" Worlwide". Allianz would cost 3640 THB; AXA would charge 3061 THB. Both would provide sufficient coverage to qualify for a Schengen visa.

I checked a few other options, e.g. Europe Assistance and Mondial Care. They would be significantly more expensive. As we hardly ever, maybe even never, had to put a claim to any travel insurance we've taken, I would not really see the point in paying over the odds for what could be a "more robust" insurance package. Therefore, I'm now looking hard at either ALLIANZ or AXA.

Would anyone have any experience with those insurances that could be shared in this discussion?

Thanks a lot in advance for your contributions!

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

If your friend is not a hiphopper, she does not need the ALLIANZ Hiphop insurance. Let her sign up for the AXA Worldwide.

I don't trust insurance companies that give their products childish names.

Hahaha! Interesting comment! Maybe you have a point!

There is a list of insurance companies that are recommended on by the VFS... 

That doesn't mean you have to use those they recommend, but, its recommended you do for ease of application. 

Wife's recent Schengen visa application used a different insurance (World Nomads) because we needed specific cover (ski), which the others did not offer and I wasn't going to get two separate policies just to please the VFS staff...   

Wife was questioned about this and told the visa may be rejected because she is not using the insurance recommended by VFS, she just told them the insurance she has is better and go ahead - The Visa was issued without issue.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a list of insurance companies that are recommended on by the VFS... 

That doesn't mean you have to use those they recommend, but, its recommended you do for ease of application. 

Wife's recent Schengen visa application used a different insurance (World Nomads) because we needed specific cover (ski), which the others did not offer and I wasn't going to get two separate policies just to please the VFS staff...   

Wife was questioned about this and told the visa may be rejected because she is not using the insurance recommended by VFS, she just told them the insurance she has is better and go ahead - The Visa was issued without issue.

I'm not familiar with VFS, I guess that's the service to use for certain EU countries. Myself + partner, we have used TLS to apply for Schengen a number of times in the past, either for Spain, Portugal, France etc. TLS have their office in Sathorn.

I used to be allowed in which was rather helpful as I could answer a number of questions directly. Last time we went there, however, I was nit let in. The guy who dealt with my partner caused a hell of a lot of an issue about the "missing itinerary". He could not understand that I invited my partner to stay with me at my permanent address in the EU, and therefore there was no "further itinerary" than that. Past that dumbwit, the visa was delivered in due course without any further questioning.

This is just to say that some of the staff they have in those visa service offices seem to be rather incompetent ... or intellectually lazy (which is another type of incompetence).

26 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

I'm not familiar with VFS, I guess that's the service to use for certain EU countries. Myself + partner, we have used TLS to apply for Schengen a number of times in the past, either for Spain, Portugal, France etc. TLS have their office in Sathorn.

I used to be allowed in which was rather helpful as I could answer a number of questions directly. Last time we went there, however, I was nit let in. The guy who dealt with my partner caused a hell of a lot of an issue about the "missing itinerary". He could not understand that I invited my partner to stay with me at my permanent address in the EU, and therefore there was no "further itinerary" than that. Past that dumbwit, the visa was delivered in due course without any further questioning.

This is just to say that some of the staff they have in those visa service offices seem to be rather incompetent ... or intellectually lazy (which is another type of incompetence).

(My mistake) it probably was that place (TLS)...  I didn't get involved as the Wife deals with all her own visa applications etc.

I selected the right travel insurance for our trip...   my wife was questioned about the insurance as it was not one on their list.

My Wife did tell me that one of the staff there (at TLS) was being a little bit too authoritarian and suggesting my Wife will not get her Visa without the insurance on the list, they also told her she needs to get a better photo...  She's done this too many times and just told them to process it... the Visa as issued quite quickly (less about a week I think).

Anyway....  my point is: TLS have a list of insurance which is accepted for the Schengen Visa Process - thus to avoid hassle, its best to go with an company on that list. 

The link about travel insurance is at the bottom of the TSL webpage (but true to form - it doesn't work ! - but there is a list of accepted insurers that should be available online somewhere)

As others have mentioned Chubb / AXA etc are very likely to be on that list. 

https://pt.tlscontact.com/th/BKK/index.php

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(My mistake) it probably was that place (TLS)...  I didn't get involved as the Wife deals with all her own visa applications etc.

I selected the right travel insurance for our trip...   my wife was questioned about the insurance as it was not one on their list.

My Wife did tell me that one of the staff there (at TLS) was being a little bit too authoritarian and suggesting my Wife will not get her Visa without the insurance on the list, they also told her she needs to get a better photo...  She's done this too many times and just told them to process it... the Visa as issued quite quickly (less about a week I think).

Anyway....  my point is: TLS have a list of insurance which is accepted for the Schengen Visa Process - thus to avoid hassle, its best to go with an company on that list. 

The link about travel insurance is at the bottom of the TSL webpage (but true to form - it doesn't work ! - but there is a list of accepted insurers that should be available online somewhere)

As others have mentioned Chubb / AXA etc are very likely to be on that list. 

https://pt.tlscontact.com/th/BKK/index.php

That link indeed does not open!

15 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

I would imagine that you are going to be flying internationally to these locations.  Why are you not seriously considering the travel insurance option provided by the major airline you are flying?  Seem like you may need it also.

Is the insurance thats provided by the airlines accepted when applying for a Schengen Visa ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is the insurance thats provided by the airlines accepted when applying for a Schengen Visa ?

That's a good question. In view of a few less than perfect experiences with the Schengen visa services in Bangkok (see above, myself and richard-smith-237), I would hesitate banking on that.

1 hour ago, fceligoj said:

I would imagine that you are going to be flying internationally to these locations.  Why are you not seriously considering the travel insurance option provided by the major airline you are flying?  Seem like you may need it also.

That's a good point. I did not think of that. Similarly, I remember that I get a travel insurance thrown in when booking with one of my CC's. I will check further.

Edited by gejohesch
forgot sthg