Thai widow pleads for help as loan sharks tighten grip after husband’s suicide

webfact

On 12/12/2023 at 8:57 PM, thesetat said:

She has a way out. Why beg for help or tolerate threats. Loan sharking is illegal and the police should be going after those doing it. 

2 days ago the government responded to this problem. https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG231210152040697#:~:text=The Royal Thai Police (RTP,allowing for immediate police action.

What the government says they are going to do and what they actually do are two different things.

Same with the Police, they don't go after anybody unless they see a potential payday.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:59 PM, aussienam said:

Sad consequences of COVID.  Debt. 

Poor family with basic fiscal management abilities.  Wonder where the parents are whom the grandparents now support?  

Thai mafia loan sharks, that charge extreme interest on top.  Sad story.  Poor man to sacrifice his life to save his wife and grandkids from potential harm and destitution.  This is harsh poor living reality in Thailand.  

They were up the creek without a paddle way before COVID-19.

I get them up here, trying to approach me at the house to borrow money against their land.

The problem here is they have no Chanote as they have already borrowed against it from moneylenders or the bank. 

So, therefore, they have nothing to offer in security, and usually, they know this, they are hoping we are gullible enough to fall for it.

Sometimes just because they don't have an education doesn't prevent them from being crafty and sneaky as their survival mechanism kicks in.

The mafias tend to be of Chinese heritage and know full well that the 'country bumpkins' won't be able to keep up the ridiculous interest payments. They use this as a method of acquiring the land cheap.

It's a dog-eat-dog world.

• Agree 1

Plenty I could say about your attitude, but I will refrain from editorializing and stick to the facts of this OP. 

The facts are that unskilled work pays very little in Thailand, 

The subject of the OP were elderly 

Thai employers like to hire the young.  

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Plenty I could say about your attitude, but I will refrain from editorializing and stick to the facts of this OP. 

The facts are that unskilled work pays very little in Thailand, 

The subject of the OP were elderly 

Thai employers like to hire the young.  

There are plenty of older people working and there are still vacancies... if one is trying to survive and all they can do is work for a low wage isn't that better than borrowing... low wages isn't an excuse when you are living on the bottom edge... it is a starting place

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

There are plenty of older people working and there are still vacancies... if one is trying to survive and all they can do is work for a low wage isn't that better than borrowing... low wages isn't an excuse when you are living on the bottom edge... it is a starting place

That is not true. Very hard or even impossible to be hired if you are elderly. If you think otherwise , all I can say is that you don't know Thailand very well. 

These people have become debt slaves, The husband killed himself so that the wife can have the life insurance to pay off some of the debt

A tragic love story, and all people in this forum can be is critical ,and that it's their own own fault.

I am not sure who I feel more sorry, for these poor people or for some of you guys. 

• Haha 1