Military Doctor Surrenders After 5-Hour Standoff

webfact

Thai military doctor with mental illness surrenders after shooting near Bangkok
by Petch Petpailin

image.jpeg
Photo via Facebook/ ข่าวสารเมืองปราการ v2

A Thai military doctor surrendered to police last night after a shooting incident in a village on the Srinakarin Road in the Samut Prakarn province near Bangkok.

Bang Kaew Police Station officers received a report of a shooting at 4.45pm yesterday, December 11, and rushed to the scene to find the gunman shouting and waving a gun around outside of his house. He later entered the house and continued to cause a scene.

Workers at a swimming pool construction site near the gunman’s residence reported that the individual discharged three rounds into the ground close to the site, expressing dissatisfaction with the noise generated by the workers. Fortunately, no injuries occurred as a result of the gunfire.

As a precautionary measure, officers maintained a distance of 200 metres, monitoring the situation while reaching out to the gunman’s family to encourage his surrender. Subsequently, the gunman, identified as a former military doctor who had relocated from the Deep South provinces to a hotel in Bangkok, was identified.

Police investigations revealed a ten-year history of mental health issues for the doctor, and it was suggested that the absence of medication might have contributed to the shooting incident.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do cringe whenever I read these oversimplistic solutions to what can be very complex issues.

The treatment for PTSD, which is very likely this guy's problem rarely, if ever come out of a medicine bottle.

"Cringe away" <shrug> ... are you a credentialed psychotherapist or something? Do you have some incredible ability to diagnose someone from a sketchy news article? Congratulations.

You had to skip over the fact that I said "maybe he can get some help now" (from professionals presumably) and the fact that PTSD treatments (if that what he suffers from) usually include pharmaceuticals. The doctor was not taking his prescribed medications, or so the article suggests.

Edited by expat_4_life

1 hour ago, animatic said:

Too much noise!

Guess I’ll fire off my gun.

Totally no logic there.

The doctor had previously served in the south and could well have been exposed to some nasty situations. Adverse and sometimes irrational reaction is often associated with PTSD. It's a classic symptom. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Only toy guns found in house, yet the report was he fired 3 shots into the ground.

Toy guns can make noises too, in some cases, just like the real ones do.

How would the labourers know the difference?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

'The doctor, identified as a military physician from a hospital in Bangkok, had previously served in the southern border provinces'. 

Could be a case of PTSD here. No one was harmed, nor does there seem to have been any intention to so. I hope the Doctor gets the treatment that he obviously needs.

Nah  just lock him up   no need for the likes of him to be at large,   not that complicated at all

The complications start when people start making excuses for this sort of behaviour,      There is always some sort of excuse these days,  The guy needs removing from society.  Would have been better if they had shot him at the scene, nice deterrent too

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

"Cringe away" <shrug> ... are you a credentialed psychotherapist or something? Do you have some incredible ability to diagnose someone from a sketchy news article? Congratulations.

You had to skip over the fact that I said "maybe he can get some help now" (from professionals presumably) and the fact that PTSD treatments (if that what he suffers from) usually include pharmaceuticals. The doctor was not taking his prescribed medications, or so the article suggests.

Suicides of the many veterans suffering from PTSD who have received minimal treatment amounting to a prescription is why I cringe at the phrase 'take your meds'.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I do cringe somewhat whenever I read these oversimplistic solutions to what can be very complex issues.

The treatment for PTSD, which is very likely this guy's problem rarely, if ever come out of a medicine bottle.

I agree the best treatments for PTSD are peace and quiet and love.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

The 'Pharmaceuticals' are usually medication to help sleep which is a major problem for most PTSD sufferers. It is lack of rest and sleep due to the nightmares and daytime flashbacks that causes the kind of emotional problems this man displayed. So the noise from the work was actually creating the problem. As I said before peace and quiet and love are the best medicine.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

expressing dissatisfaction with the noise generated by the workers.

I know how how feels. There has been a few times I wished I had a gun. Once the builders were still working next door to me at 9.00P.M. Gave them a mouthful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a very simple question, why are there so many nut jobs in the Thai  military and the police, and shouldn't something like that be examined?

Isn't this cause for suspicion of some sort? What is going on? 

I wonder whether the concept of face / losing face is involved. Match that to ptsd and it would be a volatile combination.  

2 hours ago, kidneyw said:

I know how how feels. There has been a few times I wished I had a gun. Once the builders were still working next door to me at 9.00P.M. Gave them a mouthful.

In Malaysia, by law, all labour must cease at 5pm so as not to disturb the public. 

The law is generally respected, too.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Only toy guns found in house, yet the report was he fired 3 shots into the ground.

Where is this reported. The original article doesn't mention that only toy guns were found