face masks

kingstonkid

I went into AIS on Monday to see about a problem with my phone, I had to go back the following day because the problem was not fixed at all.

Looking for the girl who served me I had no chance. All the girls were wearing the same clothes, had long black hair and were wearing  masks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

After being back in Thailand (Bangkok) for a month, I’d hazard a very rough guess of the percentage of mask wearers at 50%. First time I caught the BTS I was worried I’d be the only one not wearing one, but curiously it seemed to be around the same percentage, or even less, as masked people on near deserted footpaths, and that was in a packed carriage. I speculate that a lot of the fearful mask wearers have opted for a safer form of transport, such as a motorbike taxi…

The air quality in Bangkok has varied from pretty good to poor, but I’ve not noticed any increase in mask wearing on high PM2.5 days.

I notice that posters are still trying to spread the myth that masks were widely worn pre 2020. I would have spend a total of a couple of years in Thailand back then, and seeing someone in a face mask was rare. If any of these posters can post a link to a video showing a crowded location pre 2020 with lots of people wearing masks, I might be persuaded that my memory’s severely faulty.

People have a perfect right to wear masks for the rest of their lives of course, none of my business, but it doesn’t really improve the look of the place, just as in women covering their faces in fundamentalist Muslim countries. It also makes the speech of people harder to understand, especially for older listeners, making me realise that I must be unconsciously relying on lip reading a little.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Pre-covid some wore masks for the pollution or if they had a cold, but in my experience it was a maximum of 10%. Now it's about 60% wearing them. The girls I speak to say they also wear them if they have a spot/pimples now or so they don't have to put makeup on. 

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So everyone in Chiang Mai is going to die from the dust?

Chiang Mai has horrendous air quality at certain times of the year - it's not too bad at the moment.  But Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and pretty much everywhere in the North/East all have it as well.

We're all going to die!

Terrible during the smoky season

Probably good idea to wear a mask.  I don't.

It's practically impossible with 36-42 Celsius temps.

Like you said, it's everywhere.  You can't escape it with Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc burning more than even Thailand.

Your surrounded by bad actors.  

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Agree 1

On 12/14/2023 at 6:34 PM, scottiejohn said:

What a morbid, so called, sense of humour!

At least your real mask has now fallen down and shown what a truly unsympathetic.......... person you must be!

Hang on a minute.  If it was "humour" then it was not serious and therefore not so bad.  And were it a serious comment, then it would not be humour.  Can't have it both ways!

Hint: it was intended as a reflection of the ridiculous attitudes by so many about the utility of masks and about those who don't want to wear them.  At least two people understood, god bless 'em.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Not just Thais. Anyone who understands how bad the air quality is now, and not just in bkk.

Some days you can't see Koh Larn from Pattaya at all. Some of the mask wearing could be just nose and mouth protection from the sun, very fierce lately.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Some days you can't see Koh Larn from Pattaya at all. Some of the mask wearing could be just nose and mouth protection from the sun, very fierce lately.

Currently in Hua Hin and the air is no better than bkk. Way too hot for December too.

• Agree 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:53 PM, charleskerins said:

Here we go with the BS  ,so you are familiar with the regimentation of the population in Thailand ?Are you familiar with the longstanding practice of wearing masks to prevent the transmission of germs in Asia ?  to guard against foul air?  Or do you believe the evil Dr Fauci came as a guest speaker to indoctrinate the youth? What question do you want them to ask ? Why are we wearing masks -they already know.Maybe you should know or have you been indoctrinated to despise science and intellectuals -are you a card carrying member of the Republican Party?Why are we wearing masksWTF are you talking about -do you even know? What a sad freaking comment.

To be clear, the only masks which are effective are the surgical quality masks. The ineffectiveness of those masks commonly used in public can be demonstrated by comparing the size of the covid virus to the size of the mesh in these masks. 47 of the little buggers could join hands between the individual gaps in the mesh. They could be effective in screening larger dust particles but certainly not viruses.

Why those who wear masks worry about those not wearing masks, is to me , evidence that they don't have so much confidence in the mask they are wearing.   So why are they wearing one in the first place ?

In the UK in the early days of covid there was little mention of masks and few masks available, some time later when there was a glut of masks available it suddenly became "imperative" that masks were worn   So "imperative" that little to no detail or instruction regarding how to effectively wear a mask or which type of mask  to wear was given

It didn't matter what kind you wore or how you wore it  all that mattered was that you were seen to be wearing one. A strong indication to me that it was , and remains , a powerful signal of compliance and nothing more.

As soon as Thailand opened up with the "test and go " scheme I like many people was keen to return .  I had finished work about a month before my flight , and fearful of the consequences of testing positive on arrival I self Isolated for two weeks prior to commencing the journey, I live alone in the UK so it wasn't difficult to avoid contact with anybody.  On the two  occasions that I did leave the house for my pre flight PCR tests  ( messed up the timing so had to do 2) I dutifully wore my mask

I will add that due to the nature of my work I am often required  to wear face masks, I had ready and unlimited access to a supply of N95 masks and I have been "face fit" trained to ensure I am aware how to wear one correctly!

So on the day of my journey I set off, wearing my mask correctly, and armed with two test certificates which showed i was covid free. As uncomfortable as it was I dutifully remained masked up for the entire journey, declining (as usual) any food offered on the flight. I would also add that I had also received 2 vaccinations, 1 booster and had contracted and fully recovered from a dose of covid  around 8 months previously,

What could possibly go wrong.....I thought

On arrival at my test and go hotel I was PCR tested again , and retired to my room to await the test results , confident that in the morning I would be able to complete my journey.  Imagine my surprise when I answered the phone in my room,  and was told  I had tested positive !

As far as I am concerned that is proof enough .   

People who wish to wear masks are of course perfectly entitled to do so,  but their concern over the behaviour of others, is illogical, and nothing more than the result of the huge project fear campaign. Panic is rarely conducive to rational thought.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, poyai111 said:

To be clear, the only masks which are effective are the surgical quality masks. The ineffectiveness of those masks commonly used in public can be demonstrated by comparing the size of the covid virus to the size of the mesh in these masks. 47 of the little buggers could join hands between the individual gaps in the mesh. They could be effective in screening larger dust particles but certainly not viruses.

Surgical quality masks are about the least effective masks that could be worn , they do not fit tightly around the face and are not even designed to prevent the spread of a virus.  This was announced years ago . That is why the N95 masks became the recommended type !

The inefficiency of surgical masks in this respect is well understood by those who's work places  them in close proximity to viruses,  I didn't see any of those treating victims of ebola relying on surgical masks for protection.

Kind of begs the question why were these useless pieces of cloth handed out like confetti ?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Why those who wear masks worry about those not wearing masks, is to me , evidence that they don't have so much confidence in the mask they are wearing.   So why are they wearing one in the first place ?

In the UK in the early days of covid there was little mention of masks and few masks available, some time later when there was a glut of masks available it suddenly became "imperative" that masks were worn   So "imperative" that little to no detail or instruction regarding how to effectively wear a mask or which type of mask  to wear was given

It didn't matter what kind you wore or how you wore it  all that mattered was that you were seen to be wearing one. A strong indication to me that it was , and remains , a powerful signal of compliance and nothing more.

As soon as Thailand opened up with the "test and go " scheme I like many people was keen to return .  I had finished work about a month before my flight , and fearful of the consequences of testing positive on arrival I self Isolated for two weeks prior to commencing the journey, I live alone in the UK so it wasn't difficult to avoid contact with anybody.  On the two  occasions that I did leave the house for my pre flight PCR tests  ( messed up the timing so had to do 2) I dutifully wore my mask

I will add that due to the nature of my work I am often required  to wear face masks, I had ready and unlimited access to a supply of N95 masks and I have been "face fit" trained to ensure I am aware how to wear one correctly!

So on the day of my journey I set off, wearing my mask correctly, and armed with two test certificates which showed i was covid free. As uncomfortable as it was I dutifully remained masked up for the entire journey, declining (as usual) any food offered on the flight. I would also add that I had also received 2 vaccinations, 1 booster and had contracted and fully recovered from a dose of covid  around 8 months previously,

What could possibly go wrong.....I thought

On arrival at my test and go hotel I was PCR tested again , and retired to my room to await the test results , confident that in the morning I would be able to complete my journey.  Imagine my surprise when I answered the phone in my room,  and was told  I had tested positive !

As far as I am concerned that is proof enough .   

People who wish to wear masks are of course perfectly entitled to do so,  but their concern over the behaviour of others, is illogical, and nothing more than the result of the huge project fear campaign. Panic is rarely conducive to rational thought.

Here's a rational thought masks help prevent the spread of the virus.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

Here's a rational thought masks help prevent the spread of the virus.

Patently not,  in my experience , If but if you find the idea comforting , then up to you.  There is something to be said for blissful ignorance , but more to be gained from facing, what may be uncomfortable  facts and drawing on personal experience .

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Patently not,  in my experience , If but if you find the idea comforting , then up to you.  There is something to be said for blissful ignorance , but more to be gained from facing, what may be uncomfortable  facts and drawing on personal experience .

The thing about blissful ignorance is that people are blissfully unaware of their ignorance. Masks have been proven beyond any shadow of doubt to reduce transmission of the virus. To suggest otherwise is ignorance of the science. That you claim "personal experience" as the basis for this insult laden disinformation is concerning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Personal experience v science  who is demonstrating blissful ignorance?     https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449       I am comfortable with facts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

The thing about blissful ignorance is that people are blissfully unaware of their ignorance. Masks have been proven beyond any shadow of doubt to reduce transmission of the virus. To suggest otherwise is ignorance of the science. That you claim "personal experience" as the basis for this insult laden disinformation is concerning.

"They don't know what they don't know"     Ozi  is definitely not a moron.   

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 10:33 PM, kingstonkid said:

Is it my imagination or are more Thais wearing them these days?

It seems so.  I keep wanting to grab them by the collar and yelling at them, "WHY ARE YOU AFRAID?"

Instead?  I just shake my head at the lunacy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1