face masks

kingstonkid

4 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Personal experience v science  who is demonstrating blissful ignorance?     https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449       I am comfortable with facts.

The facts so far,  I wore a n95 mask correctly  pretty much exactly as recommended by the clinic in the link you posted, I was as careful as possible, why wouldn't I be? I was travelling to Thailand and from what I had been reading there were potentially unpleasant consequences for those testing positive. Despite me taking precautions I caught covid. 

Result,  Any confidence I may have had in masks as a serious form of protection pretty much evaporated, although I still dutifully wore one, as and when required, no skin off my nose, but I couldn't care less whether others wore them or not

Had I not caught covid I would probably have retained some confidence in wearing a mask, and that being the case, obviously  I would still wear one as req'd, but still feel no compunction to criticise those who didn't wear masks, why would I ,  its  up to them , and after all I was wearing mine.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The thing about blissful ignorance is that people are blissfully unaware of their ignorance. Masks have been proven beyond any shadow of doubt to reduce transmission of the virus. To suggest otherwise is ignorance of the science. That you claim "personal experience" as the basis for this insult laden disinformation is concerning.

So as long as you had yours on you were safe, after all  its proven beyond a shadow of doubt. I had mine on too, but remained skeptical regarding the benefits.  Skeptical enough not to worry whether other people were wearing a mask or not. 

What I find concerning is people accepting whatever they are told, especially by governments, and agencies connected to them. Masks may well have reduced transmission but to what degree? Do you seriously believe that was the only reason for making people wear them. Can you not accept that it was the government's intention to scare people "witless" despite the likes of UK health minister being caught on tape saying so and that a visible sign of compliance was a necessary part of that?     Uo to you as they say

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

believe what you want, masks did not prevent me and many others catching it

I believe science  ,I believe statistics. Masks are proven to HELP prevent the spread of the virus .One's personal narrative has no bearing on  statistics gleaned from thousands . You catch the virus 5-7 days before you test positive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Absolutely -they are fing lemmings   orange leader says no masks we follow him .Dr Fauci whose iq is probably double that of donnie he's evil.

So how many times have you been infected with covid?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Why is this a good thing?

Why does a complete stranger wearing a mask affect you in any way?

Do you seek a sense of power to see others agreeing with you? Do you feel threatened by those who don't?

I'm just curious why you care at all about innocuous things that have no impact on your life, unless of course you happen to believe that masks are effective against disease and pollution in many cases. Is there never a place/time to wear a mask?

How do you feel about coats worn in warm weather? Chewing gum? Wearing a hat? Shorts in cold weather? Sandals with socks? Beards?

The thing that gets me upset is T-shirts with misspelled English words on them. Agreed?

Whether a complete stranger or anybody else for that matter wears a mask does not affect me in anyway, Its entirely up to them, I just remain skeptical of how much protection they actually provide.  For the umpteenth time I wore mine as instructed, how does that make me an antimasker?     Is it just because i was not scared enough to berate those who's beliefs were different to mine?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Why is this a good thing?

Why does a complete stranger wearing a mask affect you in any way?

Do you seek a sense of power to see others agreeing with you? Do you feel threatened by those who don't?

I'm just curious why you care at all about innocuous things that have no impact on your life, unless of course you happen to believe that masks are effective against disease and pollution in many cases. Is there never a place/time to wear a mask?

How do you feel about coats worn in warm weather? Chewing gum? Wearing a hat? Shorts in cold weather? Sandals with socks? Beards?

The thing that gets me upset is T-shirts with misspelled English words on them. Agreed?

It is simply inane to see somebody walking outside in an area that's uncrowded with a mask on, it feels like an atmosphere of the zombie apocalypse, and it does create a sense of fear and dread in the population.

It's just not necessary at this point unless it is within a hospital or used for pollution. And I happen to enjoy warm coats in the winter time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's nothi9ng to do with that. Anti maskers are politically motivated, not scientifically motivated.

Would that be the same science that now thinks that men can become women?   I'm not an anti masker, I wore mine, properly as and when required,

I just didn't get upset about those who didn't,   and I just didn't feel that safe amongst those who did,  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

Absolutely -they are fing lemmings   orange leader says no masks we follow him .Dr Fauci whose iq is probably double that of donnie he's evil.

But you had your Fauci endorsed mask on, at least you should have done,  you were totally safe, why concern yourself with those who didn't .  Sounds like you were not so confident about your mask after all,    Not unlike my self  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

I believe science  ,I believe statistics. Masks are proven to HELP prevent the spread of the virus .One's personal narrative has no bearing on  statistics gleaned from thousands . You catch the virus 5-7 days before you test positive.

Did you even read my post , if so what part of ... 

"  As soon as Thailand opened up with the "test and go " scheme I like many people was keen to return .  I had finished work about a month before my flight , and fearful of the consequences of testing positive on arrival I self Isolated for two weeks prior to commencing the journey, I live alone in the UK so it wasn't difficult to avoid contact with anybody.  On the two  occasions that I did leave the house for my pre flight PCR tests  ( messed up the timing so had to do 2) I dutifully wore my mask"

Did you find difficult to understand ?

If I need a lesson from you on the incubation period of Covid I will ask for one  

I would be very wary of statistics If I were you,  they can be very misleading to those who don't fully understand the concept

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Did you even read my post , if so what part of ... 

"  As soon as Thailand opened up with the "test and go " scheme I like many people was keen to return .  I had finished work about a month before my flight , and fearful of the consequences of testing positive on arrival I self Isolated for two weeks prior to commencing the journey, I live alone in the UK so it wasn't difficult to avoid contact with anybody.  On the two  occasions that I did leave the house for my pre flight PCR tests  ( messed up the timing so had to do 2) I dutifully wore my mask"

Did you find difficult to understand ?

If I need a lesson from you on the incubation period of Covid I will ask for one  

I would be very wary of statistics If I were you,  they can be very misleading to those who don't fully understand the concept

The test is fairly accurate 5-7 days after exposure.

HELP prevent 

You can ask but it will be fruitless.

But you had your Fauci endorsed mask on, at least you should have done,  you were totally safe, why concern yourself with those who didn't .  Sounds like you were not so confident about your mask after all,    Not unlike my self  

Geezus Christ  what a waste of time.   You're defiantly clueless.  Typical   It was endorsed by Darwin.

• Haha 1

Would that be the same science that now thinks that men can become women?   I'm not an anti masker, I wore mine, properly as and when required,

I just didn't get upset about those who didn't,   and I just didn't feel that safe amongst those who did,  

Moving the goal posts another Magat play/ploy.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It is simply inane to see somebody walking outside in an area that's uncrowded with a mask on, it feels like an atmosphere of the zombie apocalypse, and it does create a sense of fear and dread in the population.

It's just not necessary at this point unless it is within a hospital or used for pollution. And I happen to enjoy warm coats in the winter time. 

"and it does create a sense of fear and dread in the population."    ???

On 12/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, NoshowJones said:

I went into AIS on Monday to see about a problem with my phone, I had to go back the following day because the problem was not fixed at all.

Looking for the girl who served me I had no chance. All the girls were wearing the same clothes, had long black hair and were wearing  masks.

They have pretty eyes 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, poyai111 said:

To be clear, the only masks which are effective are the surgical quality masks. The ineffectiveness of those masks commonly used in public can be demonstrated by comparing the size of the covid virus to the size of the mesh in these masks. 47 of the little buggers could join hands between the individual gaps in the mesh. They could be effective in screening larger dust particles but certainly not viruses.

I'll go with the CDC    

• Masking is a critical public health tool for preventing spread of COVID-19, and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.
  • To protect yourself and others from COVID-19, CDC continues to recommend that you wear the most protective mask you can that fits well and that you will wear consistently.
  • Masks and respirators are effective at reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, when worn consistently and correctly.
  • Some masks and respirators offer higher levels of protection than others, and some may be harder to tolerate or wear consistently than others. It is most important to wear a well-fitting mask or respirator correctly that is comfortable for you and that provides good protection.
  • Agree 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely. Like the zombie apocalypse. 

There's something I'm missing. Muslim women have worn masks in public for Millennia. According to the anti-vax cult their children should all have distorted upbringings. Are Muslims zombies? Or just the women?

• Like 1