Car park fires at Luton and Bristol - was it EVs ??

TorquayFan

Following the Luton fire, the Fire Officer commented the blaze was started by a diesel. But I've also seen footage (the DT) which showed a Range Rover (?) on fire in the aisle, with flames coming from the position of it's hybrid battery and the flames a different colour from a diesel burn. I haven't seen any further comment from the Fire Brigade beyond the initial comment on which the Guardian article was later based.

I also read a report of a guy trying to park at Luton for a flight to Spain - he noticed his car on fire so jumped out and left it there, in the aisle and boarded his flight. What to believe, I don't know. Further comment from the Brigade seems overdue.

Plastic fuel tanks seem a worrying idea and are thought to have contributed to the the fire at Luton. Whether the fire started in an EV or not, EV's substantially contributed to the spread and intensity of the Luton fire. I've also read that Insurers are recommending that damaged EV's must be spaced with other vehicles excluded in a surrounding diameter of 10 metres (?).

The pros and cons of EV are hard to pin down - but the worst of alternatives IMO is Govts incentivising a rush to them - my simple reason for that position being, that in manufacture they generate a much larger environmental load which requires the vehicle to be used for 100,000 km extra, before the load equates to that incurred by making an ICE, (source - Volvo).

We have yet to learn whether EV batteries will become a higher or lesser fire hazard as they age . . .

A gentle trend towards EV, particularly where they can be accommodated in high pollution urban areas, (BKK and Chiang Mai ?) is an excellent idea - EV's have their place in many ways for sure. But not for long journeys = I've just completed 2x830 km journeys in a Toyota Vigo and didn't have to fill up each until arrival. I have read that 'cars' contribute just 25% of the total CO2 pollution - there are many other aspects to the problem.

Footage from the DT re. Luton https://youtu.be/ccF4xOk5ruY

A cold look at the Luton disaster from Australia https://youtu.be/Yw_iy37bMxs

Geoff buys cars and his fellow cynic on the Bristol fire https://youtu.be/E1DsxEU5VJo There were plenty of eye witnesses so surely someone SAW which of the 11 cars was burning first ! Was it windy - which way did the wind blow - surely it's NOT difficult !!

This one will run and run . . . . .

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:
Following the Luton fire, the Fire Officer commented the blaze was started by a diesel. But I've also seen footage (the DT) which showed a Range Rover (?) on fire in the aisle, with flames coming from the position of it's hybrid battery and the flames a different colour from a diesel burn. I haven't seen any further comment from the Fire Brigade beyond the initial comment on which the Guardian article was later based.

I also read a report of a guy trying to park at Luton for a flight to Spain - he noticed his car on fire so jumped out and left it there, in the aisle and boarded his flight. What to believe, I don't know. Further comment from the Brigade seems overdue.

Plastic fuel tanks seem a worrying idea and are thought to have contributed to the the fire at Luton. Whether the fire started in an EV or not, EV's substantially contributed to the spread and intensity of the Luton fire. I've also read that Insurers are recommending that damaged EV's must be spaced with other vehicles excluded in a surrounding diameter of 10 metres (?).

The pros and cons of EV are hard to pin down - but the worst of alternatives IMO is Govts incentivising a rush to them - my simple reason for that position being, that in manufacture they generate a much larger environmental load which requires the vehicle to be used for 100,000 km extra, before the load equates to that incurred by making an ICE, (source - Volvo).

We have yet to learn whether EV batteries will become a higher or lesser fire hazard as they age . . .

A gentle trend towards EV, particularly where they can be accommodated in high pollution urban areas, (BKK and Chiang Mai ?) is an excellent idea - EV's have their place in many ways for sure. But not for long journeys = I've just completed 2x830 km journeys in a Toyota Vigo and didn't have to fill up each until arrival. I have read that 'cars' contribute just 25% of the total CO2 pollution - there are many other aspects to the problem.

Footage from the DT re. Luton https://youtu.be/ccF4xOk5ruY

A cold look at the Luton disaster from Australia https://youtu.be/Yw_iy37bMxs

Geoff buys cars and his fellow cynic on the Bristol fire https://youtu.be/E1DsxEU5VJo There were plenty of eye witnesses so surely someone SAW which of the 11 cars was burning first ! Was it windy - which way did the wind blow - surely it's NOT difficult !!

This one will run and run . . . . .

You are like a broken record

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

JB - if you are not interested and have nothing constructive to say - why post at all ? The post contains new comment . . . . . NOT least that it's about time we were told more by the Fire Service about the Luton and Bristol fires and the alleged PAX to Spain who baled out of a burning car and left it.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

JB - if you are not interested and have nothing constructive to say - why post at all ? The post contains new comment . . . . . NOT least that it's about time we were told more by the Fire Service about the Luton and Bristol fires and the alleged PAX to Spain who baled out of a burning car and left it.

You sir, are a troll

• Haha 1