New experience at Suvarnabhumi Immigration

Mark17AA

58 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The main reason I have never used an agent is that I cannot find any that would handle the extension at my local IO..

That must be an up country thing. There are many in Pattaya that only deal with the local Jomtien office. 12.5 k all in and you do not have to go anywhere near the immigration office.

27 minutes ago, nana kid said:

I think people use agents because of the 800,000 in the bank.  That doesn't make them "Illegal Foreigners" it's just bending the rule in a country which is famous for rule bending.  If you do get caught it might be 2000 Baht to change your address

Its illegal not to maintain the money in the bank per regulation by using an agent to falsify that you do have cash in the bank. If you decide to go away from using an agent like this then you may find yourself starting over unless you happen to already have either put the 800k in the bank ahead of time or done 12 monthly transfers internationally for the whole year prior. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, Mark17AA said:

By the way she also advised that I can continue with the visa until expiry then it must be renewed at Wattana if I still live BKK.

Just move to wherever the friendly office is, temporarily. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Simple math. Agents charge about 12,500/year, which is 1.6% of 800,000.  Thai banks pay almost no interest, and most of us can make a bunch more than 1.6% on our investments in our home country. Using an agent in the province where you live has been the best practice for as long as I can remember to avoid the problem the OP encountered. Nothing new here. 

What happens if you die ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, jimn said:

More fool you for using an agent who deals with an office outside your area. That would be a definate no no from me. The agent I use deals direct with the Jomtien office where I live. Only dodgy ones deal out of area.

Yes, I know the Jomtien agents deal with that office, because sometimes when I'm at the counter, I have to wait when a runner comes in clutching a pile of passports to be stamped. The IOs know exactly who the agents are and wouldn't even consider putting a stop to it because it's their bread and butter. For that reason, I'm sure that those using agents need have no fear of being called out for it. Also, as I've said before, if I could afford it I too would use an agent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Simple math. Agents charge about 12,500/year, which is 1.6% of 800,000.  Thai banks pay almost no interest, and most of us can make a bunch more than 1.6% on our investments in our home country. Using an agent in the province where you live has been the best practice for as long as I can remember to avoid the problem the OP encountered. Nothing new here. 

Pity about the potential jail term and/or deportation, not to mention fines and blacklisting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1