New experience at Suvarnabhumi Immigration

Mark17AA

I for one, have never used an agent, most of the time, it's at the very most a few hours of messing around. Yes, have to endure the IO's bad temper, but most of the time, I feel it's the people always showing up not prepared that causes this. I certainly wouldn't want a job of facing people showing up in singlets and see through swim attire where it's clearly stated to dress appropriately, then have someone messing around with lack of paperwork. They do a tough job facing person after person, day after day. I'm not condoning the bad tempers, but being Thailand as it is, they probably have the worst job going to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why is it when when immigration officers do their job, they are at fault.  

Obviously nothing hypocritical in complaining about corruption and then using it to your advantage.

Have you never done your job and been cranky at the same time! 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Pity about the potential jail term and/or deportation, not to mention fines and blacklisting.

Well, I could be hit by falling space debris too, but I choose not to worry about it.

Have you ever heard of anyone who faced jail, deportation, fines, or blacklisting when their only misdeed was using an agent in this way? No, I haven't either :tongue:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

Have you never done your job and been cranky at the same time! 

Are you trying to say that people don't need to get an extension at the office of their residence, they should be able to pay under the counter and get it at any office.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that people don't need to get an extension at the office of their residence, they should be able to pay under the counter and get it at any office.

Are you looking for an argument maybe? lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Reminds me of my USA B-in-L who decided to use an agent instead of getting a marriage extension -'less hassle' he said. Then he went to do his 90 day report and was told 'go to Jomtien'. In the end cost him 2,000 baht and a bottle of whisky! (back before the online reporting worked).

Marriage extension only 2 days of hassle and about 2500 baht. I do use the 400,000 in the bank, but will run it down next year as i can use it for 8 months of the year, and i can get  5-8% interest in the UK. Did that a bit this year but had to top up again for extension next month.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never used and agent and have been living in LOS on and off for more than 10 years now. I've successfully obtained 4 Non-O retirement visas and subsequent extensions DIY myself.

I've been through all the changes from using an embassy affidavit 3 times to now this time around showing money in the bank.

Get it together, if one is fooling around with immigration and basically dodging the requirements using and agent who participates in graft to get it done one is leaving themselves open to problems.

I'm glad there is more tightening of enforcement of the rules. Let the dodgy expats get banned or thrown out.

If one is screwing around using an agent, especially an agent that obtains a long term visa in a location that is not where you reside you deserve whatever you get for being careless with such an important matter.

It boggles the mind how careless some are with such and important thing but hey, Darwins theory is hard at work in any matters of living and running ones life.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

I for one, have never used an agent, most of the time, it's at the very most a few hours of messing around. Yes, have to endure the IO's bad temper, but most of the time, I feel it's the people always showing up not prepared that causes this. I certainly wouldn't want a job of facing people showing up in singlets and see through swim attire where it's clearly stated to dress appropriately, then have someone messing around with lack of paperwork. They do a tough job facing person after person, day after day. I'm not condoning the bad tempers, but being Thailand as it is, they probably have the worst job going to be honest.

Good on you. Let the rest of the lemmings get treated as they should. Yea if you dress like a numbskull, don't prepare, don't play by the rules then one is going to have problems. It's not rocket science. I don't get it. This whole forum is about helping folks navigate Thai immigration.. well at least it started out that way. Take advantage of the help here! 

I've gotten very good advice and successfully obtained 4 Non-O Retirement visas and many years of extensions all without and agent. Both at Chang Wattana Division 1 and Jomtien. Just a bit of time at the computer. copyshop and Immigration office. Just read the freakin instructions!

Edited by likerdup1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

First came to Thailand in 1961. Visited on business in the 1970s, worked here in the 1980s, retired here in the 1990s and stayed here ever since. Never once used an agent over all these years, and no intention of ever doing so. 

Well, now there is a statement, What an incredible rock of the expat foundation in Thailand you are! Absoulute incredible history of dealing with the Thai immigration system yet....friggin zero contribution from you, to a fellow man's request for a little advice. Pillock!

Edited by V8M8
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Why you losers what to live in a dog hole permanently is beyond me. Snow Bird is the way to go 🤣⛱️🤣

Yet you love to lurk about and make critical comments on a Thai forum! Yea buddy that a way to show the integrity!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Simple math. Agents charge about 12,500/year, which is 1.6% of 800,000.  Thai banks pay almost no interest, and most of us can make a bunch more than 1.6% on our investments in our home country. Using an agent in the province where you live has been the best practice for as long as I can remember to avoid the problem the OP encountered. Nothing new here. 

Did you notice that the baht appreciated quite a bit against, let's say, the pound during the last 20+ years?

It has not been a bad investment to buy baht.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Somebody has a problem, I won't be there to help out.

Money in a Thai bank relatively easy for Thai wife to get access, money in UK bank problems.

Once , at Suvarnabhumi , they asked me if I had a Thai wife, I laughed and said no , no, Thai wife would take all my money. 3 immigration officers burst out laughing ...I was being honest...wouldn't dream of it. 

• Confused 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:34 PM, ukrules said:

I would not be surprised, it's the next logical thing to crack down on.

Anyone going this agent route is 'making their own card' for potential future issues.

Nearly everyone I know who lives here in Hua Hin uses an agent except for that one guy with PR, I don't know why as most of these people (but not all of them) do actually have the money, they just don't seem to want to put it in a Thai bank.

they just don't seem to want to put it in a Thai bank.....Can't Blame them for that !!!

19 hours ago, worrab said:

I use Hua Hin for my annual extension and do not use an agent. Have the money in a separate account which just sits there and makes a little interest. Cannot see the need to pay out for an agent when the renewal and re entry takes around 35 minutes!

Yeah Your O.K. You've Got The Money to " Just Sit There " A LOT & I Mean A LOT Haven't !!!!

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

First came to Thailand in 1961. Visited on business in the 1970s, worked here in the 1980s, retired here in the 1990s and stayed here ever since. Never once used an agent over all these years, and no intention of ever doing so. 

I Smell Money, Money, Money......

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, it is what it is said:

I have a Non O visa for which I have always used an agent to obtain. I know they have used various "friendly" officers at various offices around the country.

sounds like a euphemism for illegally being in the country?

the sooner immigration get their act together and remove illegal foreigners the better. such people simply make life worse for all of us here legally.

It Might be O.K. for YOU But.....At least have a Little Sympathy for Other People who are Down on their " LUCK " !!

18 hours ago, jimn said:

More fool you for using an agent who deals with an office outside your area. That would be a definate no no from me. The agent I use deals direct with the Jomtien office where I live. Only dodgy ones deal out of area.

But There ARE Loads of Dodgy Ones that live in Jomtien too ( Agents that is ) But I Guess you didn't know that !!

18 hours ago, jimn said:

That must be an up country thing. There are many in Pattaya that only deal with the local Jomtien office. 12.5 k all in and you do not have to go anywhere near the immigration office.

Can YOU Find me one to do it for 12.5k WITHOUT Attending the Immigration Office then......PLEASE ??

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimn said:

That must be an up country thing. There are many in Pattaya that only deal with the local Jomtien office. 12.5 k all in and you do not have to go anywhere near the immigration office.

Yes, I live upcountry.

The only agents in my province handle just migrant worker visas. Can't fund any that would handle my retirement extensions and can;t find any agents elsewhere willing to come out here, even for a fee.

• Agree 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:34 AM, ukrules said:

I would not be surprised, it's the next logical thing to crack down on.

Anyone going this agent route is 'making their own card' for potential future issues.

Nearly everyone I know who lives here in Hua Hin uses an agent except for that one guy with PR, I don't know why as most of these people (but not all of them) do actually have the money, they just don't seem to want to put it in a Thai bank.

I can understand that, my bank, my country, and easier for my inheritors to obtain. 
it’s a pain in the arse for them to get it and certainly saves them so much hassle WHEN the time comes.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, I live upcountry.

The only agents in my province handle just migrant worker visas. Can't fund any that would handle my retirement extensions and can;t find any agents elsewhere willing to come out here, even for a fee.

Yes, I live upcountry.....So Do I Sheryl, But I've got an Agent Up Here in Issan NOT That far from where I live.....

On 12/13/2023 at 3:34 PM, ukrules said:

But to listen to them they would have it that anyone doing it themselves is a fool.

Probably nothing to worry about right now but will probably get addressed in the future.

I actually feel sorry for guys who live in a tourist hotspot. The queues at these places can be truly horrendus spurring many to use an agent. When I lived in Bangkok I prefered doing visa runs to going to Chaeng Wattana. Luckily where I now live our immigration office is often empty so pretty quick to do it yourself.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 747man said:

Yes, I live upcountry.....So Do I Sheryl, But I've got an Agent Up Here in Issan NOT That far from where I live.....

Doesn't help me though. I'm in Prachinburi.

Virtually no foreign retirees here whereas a fair number in Issan.

27 minutes ago, 747man said:

Can YOU Find me one to do it for 12.5k WITHOUT Attending the Immigration Office then......PLEASE ??

Yes I can my agent does it all for me. I have to visit the bank but not immigtion. I wont name my agent on open forum but if you PM me apologise for your previous dig at me I will. In any case no good for you he is in Pattaya.

Edited by jimn