Unable to access BKK internet banking from O/S

I've been using internet banking on my Bangkok Bank app for many years. Am currently abroad and will be away from TH for another year. I recently lost my phone and cannot login to the app on my new phone as it wants my debit card number - which has expired. I also cannot not log on to their internet banking from my laptop because of the same reason.  My TGF went to my home BKK bank branch with my bank and passport details and as expected, bank staff were not able to help without me being there. Curious to know if any BKK customer has ever been able to re- set up internet banking from overseas without their debit card. If so, how?!

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

Many thanks. Yes, I have a Skype account and will definitely call them.

I'm curious how it ends up, if you could follow up that would be great. 

FYI, I had an issue with my ATM card.  I  was buying groceries and my ATM card was denied 3x because the store said I forgot my password code.  Impossible.   I called the call center and they told me that I inputted my code wrong 3x ( again impossible) so the ATM card was canceled and I had to go to a branch and get a new one.  Any branch they told me.  So I went to a convenient branch, and they told me I had to go to my original branch to get the ATM, which I refused because the Call Center said, " Any Branch No Problem".   The girl took me outside to the ATM and made me try my old card again. It didn't work and she insisted that I forgot my code.  Sigh.  It took me almost 2 hours to get a new ATM card because by then the girl was not happy with me.

The card worked just fine until I was at the same store buying groceries again and it was declined 2 times.   Not an idiot, I decided not to try 3 times and used my credit card instead.   I called the call center and the 2nd agent told me I had a 5,000 THB limit on my ATM card it was declined because the charge was OVER my limit.  No one told me that the first time I called, they just told me I inputted the code wrong 3x (impossible).  The second agent walked me through the procedure to raise my limit and now I know WHY my card was declined.

The reason I'm going into detail about this, is that there must be a work around your problem, you just need to get ahold of the right agent at the right time.   

I hope it works out.

Thanks for sharing your ‘exceed ATM card limit’ dramas. Will be keeping that in mind going forward. 
Sorted my Skype account credit today. Looking forward to calling them, probably next week. Don’t like my chances TBH, but surely this has happened before to their customers whilst they’re abroad. Will let you know outcome…

• Thumbs Up 1

Is the requirement for debit card details the only method offered?  In a recent similar thread there were options which also included entering your ibanking userid or savings/current account information.

Being locked out of ibanking due to an expired card also sounds unusual.  Are you sure this is the reason?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

There’s 3 options, none of which work for me i.e. don’t have Thai citizen ID number (passport number doesn’t work), can’t get iBanking User ID/Pin (need to be at a bank branch/ATM) & don’t have valid current (un-expired) Smart Card number. All of which confirmed by my home bank branch to my TGF (a government employee in uniform ) who was there with them showing them my expired ATM card, my current savings account bank book and a copy of my passport - with me on the phone as well. Bank staff told her/us nothing can be done until I return to the Kingdom and attend a bank branch or ATM.
Hope is still held with the aforementioned impending phone call…

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

There’s 3 options, none of which work for me i.e. don’t have Thai citizen ID number (passport number doesn’t work), can’t get iBanking User ID/Pin (need to be at a bank branch/ATM) & don’t have valid current (un-expired) Smart Card number. All of which confirmed by my home bank branch to my TGF (a government employee in uniform ) who was there with them showing them my expired ATM card, my current savings account bank book and a copy of my passport - with me on the phone as well. Bank staff told her/us nothing can be done until I return to the Kingdom and attend a bank branch or ATM.

The staff at the bank follow procedures, do not flex, and tick boxes. The procedure stops them in their tracks. When I had an issue, I insisted that my wife talk with the branch manager, not any of the staff. The manager has the power to use his or her discretion and tell the staff to do what is needed.

That said, it seems you need a new card issued; you are NOT their to sign the paperwork, signature verification ID check etc so I dont see how they are going to bypass that critical step in the procedure.

What you may be able to ask, just a suggestion, is the number of that new card issued and the branch to hold the actual card until you return in person.

That would give you the details you need for the online aspect.Its doubtful, but worth a try as a work-around.

Good luck, do tell us how it went.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, treetops said:

Being locked out of ibanking due to an expired card also sounds unusual.  Are you sure this is the reason?

He need to log in again as he's got a new phone

without debit card and PIN, or access to the bank's own ATM other methods to log in to internet / banking app is to use username and password that you have set up for online access, many never set this up as they only need the app,

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

What you may be able to ask, just a suggestion, is the number of that new card issued and the branch to hold the actual card until you return in person.

Thanks for trying to help. I did try that approach and the bank said that even if they did issue me with a new card (to be either held by them until I return, posted to me or given to an authorised person on my behalf) the card would still have to be activated by me, at their ATM. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Nemises said:

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

He need to log in again as he's got a new phone

without debit card and PIN, or access to the bank's own ATM other methods to log in to internet / banking app is to use username and password that you have set up for online access, many never set this up as they only need the app,

It was indicated by the OP he was using ibanking too but sounds more like it's only been mbanking.  If ibanking was being used as well then that could have provided a solution.  Anyone else only using the app would be well advised to set up website access too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, treetops said:

Anyone else only using the app would be well advised to set up website access too

Correct! …and furthermore: even though you can use your phone these days for ATM transactions (essentially making ATM cards obsolete), never let your ATM card expire if you intend leaving the Kingdom for any length of time. I let mine expire on the advice of bank staff who ensured me I could do everything at the ATM on my phone. If only I knew I was going to lose my phone whilst abroad…

For the record I had a backup of my phone data saved to the Cloud. Unfortunately the Restore onto my new phone did not bring back my BKK m-banking login credentials - possibly because the ATM card’s expiry date had elapsed. 

23 minutes ago, treetops said:

sounds more like it's only been mbanking.

Correct. 

20 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Annoying but you might need to make a trip back home.

Correct! But luckily for me the app login credentials for my other Thai bank (KTB) downloaded perfectly from the Cloud backup onto my new phone. Phew!  If KTB m-banking also failed to reinstall like BKK then yes, good chance I’m going back to LoS for a quick holiday. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nemises said:

For the record I had a backup of my phone data saved to the Cloud. Unfortunately the Restore onto my new phone did not bring back my BKK m-banking login credentials - possibly because the ATM card’s expiry date had elapsed. 

I have some Aussie bank apps that do the same thing, I think it's a security thing. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I have some Aussie bank apps that do the same thing, I think it's a security thing. 

Recently upgraded my mobi and it was a bit of a pain in the arsk.

One banks settings (transfer limits, notifications Face ID etc) all reset themselves to NOT what I wanted, the other kept them but the registration of the new device was painful.

I understand that they detect that I’m logging in on a new device and want to verify that I’m me, but they should be doing that without deleting all my settings and preferences.

18 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Anyone else only using the app would be well advised to set up website access too

I highly recommend internet banking as a backup.  If you are worried about secure transactions you can do them right at your home with your secure internet.   I set up internet banking way before mobile banking.  BBK was quite picky about giving me this "privilege" until I got my long-term visa status.  I think it might even be harder now, because now you cannot even open an account at BKK unless you provide them with one of those proof of residency papers from immigration.  Back in the day, I just gave them 200 baht and a copy of my passport on a tourist visa.  

Internet banking only asks for your login ID and password.  I think you can use it from any computer, but not sure.  I used to use Internet banking from my phone before mobile banking, when I was in a secure environment, that is.  Login and password.

Lastly, in defense of being a bit old fashion, I've seen those mobile apps fail at stores and ATMs many a time.   When a good old fashion piece of plastic works every time (unless you are over your limit or you put your password in 3x   incorrectly. :laugh: 

Good luck. 

BKB charge me 20b a month which I belief is for SMS, yet they have not sent one this year, I get SMS from other banks, and other institutions, worst bank to deal with IMO, I want to go and complain, but the hassle is to much for me over 240baht.   

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

BKB charge me 20b a month which I belief is for SMS, yet they have not sent one this year, I get SMS from other banks, and other institutions, worst bank to deal with IMO, I want to go and complain, but the hassle is to much for me over 240baht.   

That's cheap. I'm with BBL and they charge me 30 baths per month! 😱

On 12/15/2023 at 11:09 AM, LivingNThailand said:

Why don't you call the Call Center.  They are usually helpful.  They are based in Bangkok and speak very good English.  If you don't get a good response, you can call back later and another agent.

Do you have a Skype account?  If not it's easy to set up.  To call the bank should only cost about a $1 for about 20 minutes.  Just an estimate.  I use Skype to call the US all the time and $10 lasts a long time.

Just finished speaking with the call centre. The guy spoke brilliant English, he was very helpful and the wait time was less than 5 minutes.
The outcome: I will not be able to set up i-Banking or m-Banking again until I return to Thailand. 
I can however give my TGF authority to act on my behalf for any bank transactions until I return. This will first involve her obtaining/mailing/delivering to my home branch, the relevant form. 
He 100% agreed that BKK bank staff should not be suggesting to their foreign customers (who are about to head overseas for lengthy periods) to let their ATM card expire regardless if they use their phone for ATM transactions or not.
Lesson learned!

Hope this helps others on here who are planning on leaving the Kingdom for a lengthy time, who also use m-banking and who also no longer need/use an ATM card. 

Thanks again to those who tried to help. 

Edited by Nemises

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Just finished speaking with the call centre. The guy spoke brilliant English, he was very helpful and the wait time was less than 5 minutes.
The outcome: I will not be able to set up i-Banking or m-Banking again until I return to Thailand. 

I'm glad you got a partial resolution to your problem.   Down deep I didn't think you could, but I was hopeful. The call center is usually pretty good, with good communication and English skills.  You just have to work around the red tape!  :laugh: