How is 90 day reporting supposed to work?

A friend entered Thailand a couple of months ago with a 1 year Non O Retirement Visa and he has just this week extended it for the 1st time. I was surprised when he told me that he must do his 1st 90 day report in January which is 90 days from when he entered Thailand and not from the date of his 1st extension. I was under the impression that 90 day reports ran from the date of extension or date of any re-entry to Thailand after extension(s).

Edited by SunsetT

Seems that your friend entered on single entry  non O visa (based on retirement) 

Gives 90 day stamp and then obtained a 12 month extension to that permission of stay.

Indeed that FIRST extension should start his count clock for his first 90 day report..

Seems his immigration office put start clock to date of entry.

After first extension, subsequent extensions have nothing to do with 90 day reports. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, Peabody said:

My first 1-year extension of Non-O was October 16. At immi right now reporting for the December 15 deadline that they stapled in my passport! 

Thats about 60 days after your extension. So did u enter Thailand about 30 days before Oct. 16 to make a 90 day report necessary on December 15th?

14 hours ago, steve187 said:

should be 90 days from date of application for yearly extension

quote '' The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days''

taken from here - https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1666

I received my first one year extension on Dec 13, note in passport says my 90 day notification will be March 13

2 minutes ago, jimn said:

Then he must be paying lots of fines then. Nothing to be proud of. Its an easy 5 minute process online.

It's not clear how/why the "friend" did not do 90day reports.

I didn't do a 90 day report for my first 7 years in Thailand due to frequent travel out/return.

Only when covid hit did I do my first TM47 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:55 AM, SunsetT said:

A friend entered Thailand a couple of months ago with a 1 year Non O Retirement Visa and he has just this week extended it for the 1st time. I was surprised when he told me that he must do his 1st 90 day report in January which is 90 days from when he entered Thailand and not from the date of his 1st extension. I was under the impression that 90 day reports ran from the date of extension or date of any re-entry to Thailand after extension(s).

It's depending on the local immigration office, how the 90-days are counted. Some places continously counts from last entry date, others – like where I live – resets the count by each extension of stay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not clear how/why the "friend" did not do 90day reports.

I didn't do a 90 day report for my first 7 years in Thailand due to frequent travel out/return.

Only when covid hit did I do my first TM47 

Agree with you. However I assume by this comment by the poster that his friend is permanently resident in Thailand and not in a situation similar to you. His frivolous comment was just an attempt to disrupt the thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Read the title of the TM47 form. It is written in English. You report to immigration if you stay inside Thailand for 90 days. It may, at first, be 90 days from your extension but if you ever leave and re-enter Thailand then you will break that coincidental connection. In general, your extension date and 90-day report date have nothing to do with each other.

• Agree 1

Just a comment regarding online 90 day reporting.  I did my FIRST online report at about 11:45 am yesterday, Sunday.  I had an an approval email at 11:00 pm. last night.  So, less than 12 hours on a Sunday.  I'm thoroughly impressed.  Wish I hadn't waited to try it. 

On 12/16/2023 at 6:10 AM, Colabamumbai said:

Friend here 10 years, never done 90 day. 

My 90 day report is checked every retirement extension to make sure it's up to date and agrees with the TM30 address report, have to supply copies of both for the file. 90 day reports are not required if you do not spend more than 90 days in country at a time, i.e. flies out or does border hop every 80 days.