Cooking

still kicking

OK guys most of you are expats or hail from other countries, let's hear what food you like. It is often mentioned that Thai food is so super and listed as one of the best in the world. Whether you cook it or not it does not matter list your favourite. I do like cooking and cook all foods; my Tai wife of 20 years loves my cooking she cooks sometimes but not Thai food I guess she is used to eat foreign food after living in the west for 20 years. So, my question is what food do you like? List anything, might it be Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Hungarian or Thai or any other country. So, what is your favourite food?

• Thanks 1

I'd have to go with

Italian

Mexican

American BBQ style

American breakfast style

Thai

The unknown category: About anything my wife cooks.... She likes trying different menus (fusion) & I can't really remember any bad ones...Today was a Louisiana style shrimp platter - then she created a homemade soup dish based off that recipe.....

• Agree 1

Madam does great Thai (no MSG) of course.

She also does passable Italian (ok pasta with a ragu, carbonara or mushroom sauce) and Shepherd's Swineherd's Pie (made with pork).

Simple grilled (charcoal grill) chook or pork chops with spuds (boiled or jacket) and veggies are quick and easy.

Roasts are my domain!

• Like 1

Mostly in house eating:

Yank ... if there is such thing (Philly cheesesteaks, scrapple)

Mexican

Italian

Thai, when I do, it's fusion, pasta vs rice

Wife cooks  Thai mostly, and does western quite well.

When out of the house, usually Thai, Malay curries/massamans, and things we can't or won't do in house.  Again, fusion version for me, if available (ex: drunken seafood noodle) instead of rice.   Roti and or potato for carbs.  Veggies, anything will do.  Purposely get sweet & sour for the veggies, and a safe bet if not familiar with the vendor.

Usually don't do deep fried anything, just chips or an occasional Cordon Bleu at the one local place.

A good part of our outside munchies is pastries @ coffee shops probably too much, but I'm addicted.

At home, it usually western, soups/stews, roast, veg, BBQ when I do the cooking.
If wife cooking, it Thai food all the way - she handy in kitchen, favors seafood.  She has a few western dishes up her sleeve tho too.

When we go out, it an opportunity to have something different - then its
(in no particular order)
Japanese

Korean

American BBQ

Mexican

American style Steaks (or pork chops, she loves her pork chops)

Indian
Arabic

Italian
or, sometimes Thai (have a couple of favorite places)

Wife does Thai food especially Chiang mai. I do a few European dishes. Grandweans love my fish and chip (whenever I can get good ocean fish) and my mince and tatties. I have not yet found proper curly kail so cannot make a real Scotch Broth ( which wife loves).

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

You mean really, really slowly?

75BTU is just under 22Watts, about 1/3 of a conventional 60W lamp, even madam's crock-pot slow-cooker is 180W :whistling:

Now 75,000BTU (22kW) would be more like it :smile:

Them, there zeros are important.

Haha....!

Who stole my ZEROS???

75,000 BTU.

This is the absolute MINIMUM I use to cook Chinese cuisine.

Actually, it comes on a tripod, and was designed to boil large kettles of fish to make chowder.

What a magnificent gadget.

It sounds like a jet engine.

(By comparison, my AC machines are each 20 BTU.)

Wait....

I meant...20,000 BTU.

So, 75,000 BTU burners are nothing to sneeze at.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Haha....!

Who stole my ZEROS???

75,000 BTU.

This is the absolute MINIMUM I use to cook Chinese cuisine.

Actually, it comes on a tripod, and was designed to boil large kettles of fish to make chowder.

What a magnificent gadget.

It sounds like a jet engine.

(By comparison, my AC machines are each 20 BTU.)

Wait....

I meant...20,000 BTU.

So, 75,000 BTU burners are nothing to sneeze at.

@ WalMart

image.png.a665c916aefc3fb521734aabe9d9ade0.png

• Like 1

Got to have the tools, or cooking isn't nearly as enjoyable.  I could easily live with just an eat in kitchen & 1 bedroom house.   Which is basically what our is.  No dining room, or living room, with eat in kitchen being the largest room.

We have too many (redundant) appliance, and since I'm not a fan of bending over (in either a good or a bad way), everything is counter top, which is a challenge.

One constant ... Cast Iron ROCKS:

1703068515532.jpg