Quiet, affordable places to live near Pattaya?

4737 Carlin

5 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I see dozens of cyclists around Silver lake using the  the designated cycle trails at weekends, I don't know of anywhere else with trails like this apart from the Mabprachan trial, speaking as a former cyclist myself I agree with BigStar and certainly would never bike around Pattaya roads or even on the outskirts.

but should he listen to someone who doesn't cycle or someone who cycles 10k km a year around Pattaya and outskirts? it's similar to the don't ride a motorbike people

19 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Nirun is complete crap that's not worth even this price

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Nirun is a slum, i wouldn't live there if it was free.

The units in the Nirun Tower building facing the sea actually have great sea/city lights views if you're on an upper floor, especially at night. Many are newly renovated. You can't be too picky with a 10k budget if you want a view.

If you like older buildings it's an option. I did have some problems with the water pressure so check that. I just ignored the building and area, you're getting that funk at most places in Central when you exit out anyway.

I wonder why the Op wants to be near Pattaya, I would think Hua Hin or Chaing Rai were better options.

10 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

If you are looking for credential try this:

After retiring at an early age whilst living in Singapore I pursued my hobby of mountain biking.

I imported mountain bikes into Singapore and distributed them around the region as well as selling retail, I ended up with 5 retail shops and a multi million dollar business.

I am founding father of Bike hashing world wide, bike hashed all over Malaysia, Thailand and the  Riau Islands Indonesia.

Ran and led promo bike tours  over  High Altitude Himalayan Passes of Manali-Leh Highway

I worked with National Parks Singapore to establish mountain bike trails on the Island

So yes I know a bit about biking :biggrin:

ok, i can tell you after doing 10k km a year around the outskirts of Pattaya for years that it's mostly safe, accidents happen of course, car accidents, motorbike accidents, bus accidents, i know someone who died walking crossing the road on Sukhumvit 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Thanks for all the replies - some great info and will help me to narrow down my search when I arrive next week. I cycle everyday and everywhere here in Chiangmai but I've no intention of riding in the city or on busy highways down in Pattaya - I've spent enough time down there to know it would be too dangerous. I want to be near some ok places to ride so I don't have to run the gauntlet of crazy drivers just getting out there. I'm 52 and quite a strong rider so will typically want to ride 60-90 kms at a time - preferably with hills if I can find any. Also, gravel tracks if there are any routes.

fyi if you want to ride with any of the decent cycling groups you're going to have to cycle down busy roads sometimes, if a lone rider you can avoid but won't be as good

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, scubascuba3 said:

last place I'd want to be is Mabpachan area

Why do you say that?

It's a nice area to live if you got a house with good AC system. Good people live there. Nice walk around the lake and you can fish and catch shrimp too.

Excellent inexpensive food at 2 temples and many markets. The best one in Pong.

It's just too hot for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Do people who are fortunate enough to earn dollars have to go to Nirun Condo? Traveling 10,000 miles to make a decent living is not enough.

Your post is prejudice against the residents of Nirun Condo.

There are plenty of retirees in Nirun who "are fortunate enough to earn dollars"

Many of those who own as well, I'm get really peeved of those of you who think your a class above because you live in a different condo building,so what 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok, i can tell you after doing 10k km a year around the outskirts of Pattaya for years that it's mostly safe, accidents happen of course, car accidents, motorbike accidents, bus accidents, i know someone who died walking crossing the road on Sukhumvit 

Do you find that cars and bikes give cyclists plenty of room and patience in general?

I guess its going to be proportional to the time spend riding - eg. 1 hour every day is going to create some skirmishes.

57 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Do you find that cars and bikes give cyclists plenty of room and patience in general?

I guess its going to be proportional to the time spend riding - eg. 1 hour every day is going to create some skirmishes.

Cars and motorbikes are very patient with cyclists, often taking a wide birth round them, opposite to other cars and motorbikes

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Why do you say that?

It's a nice area to live if you got a house with good AC system. Good people live there. Nice walk around the lake and you can fish and catch shrimp too.

Excellent inexpensive food at 2 temples and many markets. The best one in Pong.

It's just too hot for me.

i prefer the liveliness of central, no need to live central unless you have one of those fake wives, kids and pets and mandatory pickup 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your post is prejudice against the residents of Nirun Condo.

There are plenty of retirees in Nirun who "are fortunate enough to earn dollars"

Many of those who own as well, I'm get really peeved of those of you who think your a class above because you live in a different condo building,so what 

Get real mate, it's a cheap condo place with a very poor reputation. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Get real mate, it's a cheap condo place with a very poor reputation. 

Those residents just may "express" themselves different to you 

Eg wearing no t shirts ,

I do agree it has a poor reputation but this is unfortunately caused by those farangs who have mental problems eg alcohol abuse 

It's very sad 

On 12/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, Rimmer said:

I am founding father of Bike hashing world wide

Do bike hashers refer to themselves as "drinkers with a cycling problem"?  My old Hasher friends refer to themselves as "drinkers with a running problem". That was in Phuket and Pattaya; they said that places like Tokyo and Singapore were more couple and family oriented. 

Is there a Dirt Road for cycle hashers?  I can't imagine what a post Dirt would be like on a bicycle. 

• Haha 1