Quiet, affordable places to live near Pattaya?

4737 Carlin

I’m sure this isn’t the first time this has been asked, but I’m looking to relocate to the Chonburi area and need some suggestions on where to begin looking for a place. I’ve visited Pattaya/Jomtien dozens of times over the years but don’t really know the surrounding areas. I’d like to live close(ish) to Pattaya but anywhere within a 25 mile radius is ok as I’ll only go into the city a couple of times a month. I’ve lived in Chiangmai for the last few years, so am a keen cyclist. I’m not expecting anything that compares to here down there, but a quiet area or town with places to ride nearby are a must. Anyhow, I’ll be down there for a month next week so I’m just looking for suggestions on where to start looking. Do Sriratcha, Bangsaem, and Bangsaray seem like good places to start? Maybe around Jomtien or Naklua? I don’t really need to be near the coast so inland towns would also be ok. Like a lot of us, I live on a budget so rents less than 10,000 baht per month would be in my ballpark. I like to eat local food and buy at local markets, so I’m not too bothered about western restaurants etc. - I can get all that in Pattaya. If you’ve read this far and can help, any advice or suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I liked the Bang Saray area, nice little beach, good places to eat out etc, easy distance of Pattaya if thats what you want.

Based on your post the Darkside of Pattaya would make sense especially if you cycle. House or condo can be had for 7000 baht a month. 

But personally if you want quiet I would look down Beach road Jomtien as far down like Soi 19, as a cyclist you can ride further down to the end and head up to Sukhumvit to darkside and open riding areas.

I would also look Bang Saray very quiet beach community is great, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

Both Sattahip and Bang Saen are unnecessarily far away from Pattaya. Naklua/Banglamung and Sriricha are too busy, though they do offer a local feel. 

Beach towns south of Pattaya are great, notably Ban Amphur and Bang Salay. However, the good cycling is on the other side of Sukhumvit. Riding your bike to an intersection and getting across is easily done in theory. In practice, it's a bit dangerous, and I've heard of a cyclist who got hit trying to do exactly that.

Given the cycling interest, the Dark Side is probably where you wanna be. As @GypsyT said above, the Lake Mabprachan area's still nice.

Cycling is fine from Pattaya to darkside, most cyclists i know do that without issue, doing 400km a week.

last place I'd want to be is Mabpachan area, darkside is overrated 

• Confused 3

I have been told that View Dee resort on the dark side of Pattaya is very reasonably priced and has a swimming pool and other amenities plus a few restaurants and bars nearby . Not too far from the main town . Run by Brian Jacks ( UK Olympian judo winner ) .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cycling is fine from Pattaya to darkside, most cyclists i know do that without issue, doing 400km a week.

I may have passed you on my motorbike (dangerous enough in itself) and the usual thought "What an idiot" probably crossed my mind. Now I speak as a former cyclist myself. Even used to cycle to work downtown (big city, no bike lanes) from a suburb. Loved my light, swift "outlaw" bike at the time.

The OP may gauge Pattaya's chaotic streets and traffic against his appetite for risk. Dunno his age, but an older guy really doesn't want even to fall off his bike.

Nor is Pattaya known as a quiet town.  I suggest the OP read through the discussion on this thread:

Posters there also address your "I'm safe in a group" delusion.

A group I know, one of whom has had the Sukhumvit experience, transport their bikes in a truck to the Silver Lake area on Saturday mornings. Way to go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

I may have passed you on my motorbike (dangerous enough in itself) and the usual thought "What an idiot" probably crossed my mind. Now I speak as a former cyclist myself. Even used to cycle to work downtown (big city, no bike lanes) from a suburb. Loved my light, swift "outlaw" bike at the time.

The OP may gauge Pattaya's chaotic streets and traffic against his appetite for risk. Dunno his age, but an older guy really doesn't want even to fall off his bike.

Nor is Pattaya known as a quiet town.  I suggest the OP read through the discussion on this thread:

Posters there also address your "I'm safe in a group" delusion.

A group I know, one of whom has had the Sukhumvit experience, transport their bikes in a truck to the Silver Lake area on Saturday mornings. Way to go.

Good advice for those living in fear, luckily thousands ignore that scaremongering