Macbook eye strain eye soreness

charleskerins

I googled this first but I believe I can get better answers on here. I spend a lot of time on computer and I noticed my eyes are sore. I had this checked out in the states and everything was ok.  What i have deduced is -I stopped wearing my contacts  and reading glasses when I use the computer and I think they were protecting my eyes.  I put the macbook on night mode  .Has anyone had success wearing glasses specifically made to address this issue?  I read that the American Optometry associates  said they are not effective. Please spare me the conspiracy theories    e.g   New World Order   plot to control your mind by emitting short laser beams 

thanks in advance

I would think eye strain. I have two pairs of reading glasses - one for computer work ~ 1.5 diopter and one for book or close up reading on tablet ~ 2.0 diopter. 

i find the night mode or other blue filtering makes very little difference to how my eyes feel. I thought the theory was that it suppressed melatonin production and kept one awake. 

certainly staring at a computer screen, one can forget to blink and keep the eyes moist.

41 minutes ago, degrub said:

I would think eye strain. I have two pairs of reading glasses - one for computer work ~ 1.5 diopter and one for book or close up reading on tablet ~ 2.0 diopter. 

i find the night mode or other blue filtering makes very little difference to how my eyes feel. I thought the theory was that it suppressed melatonin production and kept one awake. 

certainly staring at a computer screen, one can forget to blink and keep the eyes moist.

I only need reading glasses when i wear contacts -don't wear them in this humidity   maybe try real low power ones?

11 minutes ago, degrub said:

Maybe increasing the font size a bit as an experiment if possible on the macbook ?

You could try a cheap pair of readers as well.  If you are using an external monitor, you may want to consider having computer glasses made for the specific distance once you figure out the issue.

font size good idea    plus  low power readers

For driving I need a -1.5 on the left and a -4.5 on the right.

I've been using my PC for ages without correction but Madam noticed that I was squinting a lot in my right eye. In fact, using just my right eye I couldn't read the screen at all.

So, I tried my driving glasses. Wow, my screen has sharp edges.

But they were just a little too strong, so I ordered a cheap pair from Zenni, guessing at -0.5L -3.5R.

Perfect and no eye strain or squinting.

@charleskerins As above, I'd try some weak readers (they're cheap) to see what strength suits each eye, then maybe order some from Zenni or another online outlet if your eyes are very different.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

For driving I need a -1.5 on the left and a -4.5 on the right.

I've been using my PC for ages without correction but Madam noticed that I was squinting a lot in my right eye. In fact, using just my right eye I couldn't read the screen at all.

So, I tried my driving glasses. Wow, my screen has sharp edges.

But they were just a little too strong, so I ordered a cheap pair from Zenni, guessing at -0.5L -3.5R.

Perfect and no eye strain or squinting.

@charleskerins As above, I'd try some weak readers (they're cheap) to see what strength suits each eye, then maybe order some from Zenni or another online outlet if your eyes are very different.

I don't need reading glasses when i don't wear my contacts  but maybe I will try some low power ones  to protect me from the computer screen?

3 hours ago, charleskerins said:

I googled this first but I believe I can get better answers on here. I spend a lot of time on computer and I noticed my eyes are sore. I had this checked out in the states and everything was ok.  What i have deduced is -I stopped wearing my contacts  and reading glasses when I use the computer and I think they were protecting my eyes.  I put the macbook on night mode  .Has anyone had success wearing glasses specifically made to address this issue?  I read that the American Optometry associates  said they are not effective. Please spare me the conspiracy theories    e.g   New World Order   plot to control your mind by emitting short laser beams 

thanks in advance

Get checked for dry eye. It's a serious problem. Use a larger external monitor. Take a 10 minute break every 30 minutes.

You can buy inexpensive stands that will both raise the height and also tilt the screen in a useful way...like these

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+stand&crid=3F400QX06UJIG&sprefix=laptop%2Caps%2C307&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_6

I have one  and also put something under it (reams of printer paper, or books, work well). 

Very easy to increase font size on a Mac...Command +

• Thanks 1

Increase font size or even decrease screen res and definitely get some good glasses though just cheap reading glasses can help hugely.

I well remember increasing the size of everything on my laptop some years back and was totally amazed how my eyes were less strained and vision clearer after a day or two.

I used to use a laptop all the time but now in my late 60's I use an external monitor on my mac mini if I am away from the 27 inch iMac. 

Just get a big monitor and set the screen res to wherever is best for you. It's a game changer especially if you are not a youngster. If you spend a lot of time on the laptop it's a no brainer really.

The thought of doing anything other than sending emails on a piddly little laptop screen seems very silly unless you have to for some reason.

• Confused 1

On 12/20/2023 at 6:11 PM, Keep Right said:

I think most of the eye strain using a Macbook it due to the cult faithful hoping they will visualize Steve Jobs on the screen.

Apple.jpg

I am getting bad eye strain trying to read the text above the Hare Krishna's head.

9 minutes ago, Simon1287 said:

Increase font size or even decrease screen res and definitely get some good glasses though just cheap reading glasses can help hugely.

I well remember increasing the size of everything on my laptop some years back and was totally amazed how my eyes were less strained and vision clearer after a day or two.

I used to use a laptop all the time but now in my late 60's I use an external monitor on my mac mini if I am away from the 27 inch iMac. 

Just get a big monitor and set the screen res to wherever is best for you. It's a game changer especially if you are not a youngster. If you spend a lot of time on the laptop it's a no brainer really.

The thought of doing anything other than sending emails on a piddly little laptop screen seems very silly unless you have to for some reason.

If  you got the time       

How do i decrease resolution  ? system settings?

Get a big monitor ? Go to store by a monitor compatible with Macbook?   buy a cord ?  how does it switch the screen over to the monitor? 

I messed with the font -seemed like there were 4 different settings -pick one   instead of a way to slowly adjust it up like a smartphone. 

You are welcome to belittle my lack of knowledge -thanks

if I obtain monitor I will need to switch over to mouse?

9 minutes ago, Simon1287 said:

Edited by charleskerins
nm

9 hours ago, charleskerins said:

If  you got the time       

How do i decrease resolution  ? system settings?

Get a big monitor ? Go to store by a monitor compatible with Macbook?   buy a cord ?  how does it switch the screen over to the monitor? 

I messed with the font -seemed like there were 4 different settings -pick one   instead of a way to slowly adjust it up like a smartphone. 

You are welcome to belittle my lack of knowledge -thanks

if I obtain monitor I will need to switch over to mouse?

Not forced to get a mouse or trackpad or keyboard unless you close the laptop when you have an external screen. Recent mac laptops or recent OS versions have had some issues with loosing sync or finding the external monitor.  
Make sure on the apple laptop spec page of the maximum # of pixels horizontal and vertical and at what refresh frequency are supported. Make sure the monitor matches up at least at one combination with what the mac port supports. Make sure the cable you use also supports that combination or higher. If the monitor has HDMI and DisplayPort and USB C ports (video, not mass storage/keyboard/mouse etc), then you will have covered all the bases. You only need 1 of the above, but most come with 2 or more types.  Make sure about the cable - some may need to be “ active” powering a format conversion between the mac port and the display.  Easiest is to talk with someone at the genius bar in the apple store if you need help. They wont support third party hardware, but they can tell you what to look for for you model laptop. While this sounds daunting, it usually is no issue and works. Read the apple forums, Mac specific web site forums, Reddit, etc for what has worked and what caused issues.

6 hours ago, degrub said:

Not forced to get a mouse or trackpad or keyboard unless you close the laptop when you have an external screen. Recent mac laptops or recent OS versions have had some issues with loosing sync or finding the external monitor.  
Make sure on the apple laptop spec page of the maximum # of pixels horizontal and vertical and at what refresh frequency are supported. Make sure the monitor matches up at least at one combination with what the mac port supports. Make sure the cable you use also supports that combination or higher. If the monitor has HDMI and DisplayPort and USB C ports (video, not mass storage/keyboard/mouse etc), then you will have covered all the bases. You only need 1 of the above, but most come with 2 or more types.  Make sure about the cable - some may need to be “ active” powering a format conversion between the mac port and the display.  Easiest is to talk with someone at the genius bar in the apple store if you need help. They wont support third party hardware, but they can tell you what to look for for you model laptop. While this sounds daunting, it usually is no issue and works. Read the apple forums, Mac specific web site forums, Reddit, etc for what has worked and what caused issues.

Thank you     !!!

For a long time, I wore my glasses when using my laptop but I stopped about a year and a half ago. My eyesight has actually improved since then ( don't need reading glasses). In addition to all of the usual steps (hourly breaks, every once in a while look into the distance and then look back, eye exercises, etc), what I have found to be most helpful is deep breathing. You breathe into the eyes and then exhale (basically the Wim Hof method with a focus on your eyes).  A lot of eye conditions are caused by dryness and lack of oxygen, particularly if you're old. As a bonus, I haven't had any eye floaters either since I started doing it religiously (30 minutes power breathing every morning).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

For a long time, I wore my glasses when using my laptop but I stopped about a year and a half ago. My eyesight has actually improved since then ( don't need reading glasses). In addition to all of the usual steps (hourly breaks, every once in a while look into the distance and then look back, eye exercises, etc), what I have found to be most helpful is deep breathing. You breathe into the eyes and then exhale (basically the Wim Hof method with a focus on your eyes).  A lot of eye conditions are caused by dryness and lack of oxygen, particularly if you're old. As a bonus, I haven't had any eye floaters either since I started doing it religiously (30 minutes power breathing every morning).

helps with blood pressure also