Pattaya visa scam leaves hundreds of tourists out of pocket and overstaying

webfact

5 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I think it’s likely the agent lost her contact at the IO, maybe over a payment dispute, and had not yet cultivated a new one.

of course there may be a perfectly innocent explanation, but we will never hear it.

dream on

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

ED Visas/Extensions to learn the language (and Muay Thai I suspect), have always been a dodgy item.... and no doubt money is received by officials. A nightmare for the victims, the loss of a lot of money, no extension, on overstay, and no passport!

If they were ligit and did it themselves......1900 baht! Fools and their money is soon parted!

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

If they were ligit and did it themselves......1900 baht! Fools and their money is soon parted!

But they would need a school of sorts to provide the paperwork for an ED Ext surely? A legit education vehicle would add to the 1900 baht, like enrolling in classes and proof of same.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

This is the second time I read something like this in Pattaya. The first time it was some Russians, sometime last year. Take heed as to why your own government tells you to never surrender your passport to anyone. Each time you do you are a hostage to that person. 

Not entirely true. Every foreigner working in Saudi has to surrender their passport to the employers, and that is with the full knowledge of the relevant governments. The only way I could have abandoned my job and left the country was by going on holiday, when we got our passports back.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Celsius said:

Visa agents :cheesy:

How can people just surrender their passport to these scumbags, lol

I hope the issuing countries keep a tab on every mug who willingly surrenders the passport to these so called "agents" never issue a replacement passport again.

i could not agree more.  idiots.

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

I think it’s likely the agent lost her contact at the IO, maybe over a payment dispute, and had not yet cultivated a new one.

of course there may be a perfectly innocent explanation, but we will never hear it.

Immigration offices are very busy right now, dealing with all the tourist extensions for the holiday period, and yet those of us who live here full time, have to suffer long waits becoz of this. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, smedly said:

most of them have no choice as they cannot meet the financial requirements for a 12 month extension or refuse to

The article clearly stated that"

"Chanidapha revealed that the affected tourists, who had paid approximately 32,000 baht (US$ 916) each, had approached her language school, but the school found no record of them in their system."

So this was nothing to do financials and 12 month extensions, but clearly about attempting to obtain ED visas?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stoner said:

ok 

1 - what is a tourist doing approaching a language school for a long term visa ? 

2 - no thailand you impact your own image. was it the tourists who set up this scam or locals ? 

you ever heard of "education-visa"? that involves a school as well

mind you, it's better to fix yr visa by yrself, not to difficult and pay only 1900 instead of 32000 !!!

5 hours ago, balo said:

Plenty of good hard working visa agents in Pattaya.  Clearly they did not do a good enough research.

Key Visa is highly recommended.     (RIP  Darren  :sad: ) 

Echo sentiments about Darren; a lovely man.  He was a fellow Utd supporter and thus been spared the angst lying heavy on our shoulders ATM.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, stoner said:

ok 

1 - what is a tourist doing approaching a language school for a long term visa ? 

2 - no thailand you impact your own image. was it the tourists who set up this scam or locals ? 

Education Visas. and maybe retirement visas Local citizens passing off as employees of the school and visa agents. There are hundreds of these agencies in Pattaya.

9 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

Education Visas. and maybe retirement visas Local citizens passing off as employees of the school and visa agents. There are hundreds of these agencies in Pattaya.

something something something....born every minute.

a fool and his money are bla bla bla. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

something something something....born every minute.

a fool and his money are bla bla bla. 

If they are paying that amount, then that is for the school to provide paperwork and a fake attendance sheet, and/or to place B800,000 in their bank account and a little hand out to immigration.

• Confused 1