Pattaya visa scam leaves hundreds of tourists out of pocket and overstaying

webfact

28 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

As far as there was nothing dodgy and all above board then I find using an agent perfectly acceptable, but not for those that don't follow the law to legally stay here, which is 800k in their bank account for retirement extensions. Problem are all these dodgy folks who don't do that and pay agents to bribe immigration officers because they don't have the 800k in savings. Same with those folks that were on volunteering visas  in the past doing the dodgy dodgy. Same with those people who bribe cops to get out of fines and other type of trouble. Thailand doesn't need all those dodgy type of foreigners here.

There is something somewhat repugnant with regard to your behaviour here in suggesting that anyone who doesn’t have a ‘measly’ 800k(the repulsiveness of that comment alone speaks to your motives here, as of course that excludes everyone using the perfectly legitimate Income Method). 
It’s just a disgusting elitist rant of the sort we see increasingly often here. 
Coming in below the threshold shouldn’t mark someone out as ‘dodgy’, just as we cannot assume that someone on an Elite pass is on the up and up. 

On 12/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, JimTripper said:

Learn to do things yourself. Don't use an agent for anything here. It's just blokes off the street doing things you could do on your own.

Agreed but for some it has become impossible to do yourself, sick. disabled just old age...  

Heard from a guy yesterday he is in his 90's and has no option but use a Agent as he is living at his home and cannot get out.

anyway he said the 'New' item the Agent needs  is extra photo's  1 x showing in bed another sitting

9 hours ago, oslooskar said:

I always find it enjoyable reading the posts of the have-nots who are embittered and jealous of the haves who were smart enough to have money to park in Thailand.

If I park 800K baht equivalent in a US bank, right now I get 40K Baht interest for the year. Now, who's smarter.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

You don't seem to see the legitimate use of agents as in your case, opposed to the underhand way of getting what you are not legally entitled to by bribery.

Where is your evidence of bribery? The truth is, you're just making allegations that you can't prove. Perhaps you're angry because you can't afford an agent, and you resent those of us who can. I hire an agent because navigating through immigration's bureaucracy can be time-consuming and complex, and a licensed agent who is well-versed in immigration laws, procedures, and requirements can streamline the process by efficiently handling my paperwork, which saves me time and aggravation.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

If I park 800K baht equivalent in a US bank, right now I get 40K Baht interest for the year. Now, who's smarter.

Well, if we go by your frame of reference then I would be smarter because I have at least 30 times that amount parked in a U.S. bank.

4 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Where is your evidence of bribery? The truth is, you're just making allegations that you can't prove. Perhaps you're angry because you can't afford an agent, and you resent those of us who can. I hire an agent because navigating through immigration's bureaucracy can be time-consuming and complex, and a licensed agent who is well-versed in immigration laws, procedures, and requirements can streamline the process by efficiently handling my paperwork, which saves me time and aggravation.

ffs sake wake up everyone knows about the bribery and corruption going on with agents, anyone can afford an agent, many cannot afford a legitimate extension! Anyone can 'navigate' immigration bureaucracy, all you have to do is fill in forms and hand over 1900 baht. Those without money in the bank have to pay a lot more for their dodgy extensions

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ignis said:

Agreed but for some it has become impossible to do yourself, sick. disabled just old age...  

Heard from a guy yesterday he is in his 90's and has no option but use a Agent as he is living at his home and cannot get out.

anyway he said the 'New' item the Agent needs  is extra photo's  1 x showing in bed another sitting

One of the reasons I was given for the extra bits of paper this year was because of some criminal behaviour that caused a major fuss earlier in the year. I suspect some of those involved had used agents to cut corners, and they (immigration) were told to check things more thoroughly. Why a 90 year old, housebound guy needs this action is stupid! Last year he was 89, it's the same guy, he is unlikely to take up nefarious criminal activities.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, proton said:

ffs sake wake up everyone knows about the bribery and corruption going on with agents, anyone can afford an agent, many cannot afford a legitimate extension! Anyone can 'navigate' immigration bureaucracy, all you have to do is fill in forms and hand over 1900 baht. Those without money in the bank have to pay a lot more for their dodgy extensions

In other words, you don't have any evidence of bribery. Hence, your allegation will remain an allegation and nothing more. NEXT CASE!

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, NextG said:

There is something somewhat repugnant with regard to your behaviour here in suggesting that anyone who doesn’t have a ‘measly’ 800k(the repulsiveness of that comment alone speaks to your motives here, as of course that excludes everyone using the perfectly legitimate Income Method). 
It’s just a disgusting elitist rant of the sort we see increasingly often here. 
Coming in below the threshold shouldn’t mark someone out as ‘dodgy’, just as we cannot assume that someone on an Elite pass is on the up and up. 

If they don't meet the threshold requirements legitimately, they shouldn't be here on a retirement extension. Plain and simple. Go back home or somewhere else, or use a different type of visa to stay here.

If I were to take a guess, you are on a retirement extension & don't meed the threshold requirements legitimately so you use an agent to do the dodgy dodgy so you can stay here. Would I be correct, based on how hard you are trying to justify this? 

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

If they don't meet the threshold requirements legitimately, they shouldn't be here on a retirement extension. Plain and simple. Go back home or somewhere else, or use a different type of visa to stay here.

If I were to take a guess, you are on a retirement extension & don't meed the threshold requirements legitimately so you use an agent to do the dodgy dodgy so you can stay here. Would I be correct, based on how hard you are trying to justify this? 

Actually, I’m more inclined to wonder why you have such a disgusting attitude about people you have not ever met and who aren’t bothering you at all. 
More about what kind of upbringing/environment created such a person. 
Why you are so obsessed with the separation of people with reference to the size of their income. 
I see it differently and so do Immigration. That’s why there are many methods to qualify. Lump sum, Income and Combination. But according to you, if they don’t have a ‘measly’ 800k to deposit after working, then they don’t deserve to be in Thailand. It’s you who needs to take a good look at yourself and to ask yourself what has made you into such a ugly and hateful person. 

Personally, I have no issue with the head IO using his discretion to allow someone to stay if a little under the threshold. What if he’s a good guy, contributing positively to Thailand but with just a 60k income? IO can take a look and make a decision. It’s not up to you, but it’s up to him. It’s not even your home country, but here you are bursting a blood vessel hating all those people with less money than you. THAT is SICK. 
There are so many variables, but sickos don’t care as they don’t understand compassion. They just want what they want and don’t care about the consequences. Hence your demand that all who don’t qualify financially should all leave 😊

You need help my friend. To learn to be happy without the need to kick the people who might have less than you. 
What’s with that? Bad upbringing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Personally, I have no issue with the head IO using his discretion to allow someone to stay if a little under the threshold. What if he’s a good guy, contributing positively to Thailand but with just a 60k income? IO can take a look and make a decision. It’s not up to you, but it’s up to him. It’s not even your home country, but here you are bursting a blood vessel hating all those people with less money than you. THAT is SICK. 
There are so many variables, but sickos don’t care as they don’t understand compassion. They just want what they want and don’t care about the consequences. Hence your demand that all who don’t qualify financially should all leave 😊

Compassion, ok, maybe they should be compassionate and accept 30 year olds for a retirement visa too even though the legal requirement is 50 years old. There are a ton of younger folks who would love to have some "compassion" and have a retirement visa in their 30's to stay here easily who have way more than 800k in the bank. Why isn't there any compassion shown to younger folks and discrimination that under 50's can't get a retirement visa?

The law is the law. Since you didn't answer my question, I now 100% know you are on a retirement visa and don't legally qualify so you are doing the dodgy dodgy with agents and bribes. Don't get your panties in a twist because you don't qualify to stay here legally and need to do the dodgy game.

A quick Google search shows that the financial requirements are below, which I now know you don't have, that's why you are getting so heated and upset. It's not my fault if you don't legally qualify:

4. Letter from Thai Bank certified money in Thai account more than 800,000 Baht 3 months before and ATM slip on date of application OR
5. Income or Pension have to certified by The Embassy or Consulate in Thailand and show income more than 65,000 Baht/month

• Confused 3

23 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Compassion, ok, maybe they should be compassionate and accept 30 year olds for a retirement visa too even though the legal requirement is 50 years old. There are a ton of younger folks who would love to have some "compassion" and have a retirement visa in their 30's to stay here easily who have way more than 800k in the bank. Why isn't there any compassion shown to younger folks and discrimination that under 50's can't get a retirement visa?

The law is the law. Since you didn't answer my question, I now 100% know you are on a retirement visa and don't legally qualify so you are doing the dodgy dodgy with agents and bribes. Don't get your panties in a twist because you don't qualify to stay here legally and need to do the dodgy game.

A quick Google search shows that the financial requirements are below, which I now know you don't have, that's why you are getting so heated and upset. It's not my fault if you don't legally qualify:

4. Letter from Thai Bank certified money in Thai account more than 800,000 Baht 3 months before and ATM slip on date of application OR
5. Income or Pension have to certified by The Embassy or Consulate in Thailand and show income more than 65,000 Baht/month

A 30 year old isn’t ever given a retirement extension. You are just posting nonsense. It’s going to get worse as you get older. More indignant about things that have absolutely nothing to do with you and that don’t affect you in any way. 
It’s at this juncture that someone might suggest that you get a life instead of worrying about whether someone qualifies for some arbitrary guideline. 
It’s the responsibility of the IO, not yours. Why are you so ‘heated up’ about it?

Are any of the people on 64k monthly somehow bothering you? 

There is compassion shown to younger folk. They can obtain a different kind of visa and as long as they don’t cause any trouble, they can stay. 
You come over like some curtain twitching granny. Why so unhappy? Did the dog urinate in your cornflakes this morning?

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Thailand doesn't want 1000's of young Westerners living in Thailand permanently 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Keep the  800 000 Baht in a U.K bank account and get 40 000 a year interest  , keep the  money in Thailand and get 8000 Baht a year interest 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s the responsibility of the IO, not yours. Why are you so ‘heated up’ about it?

Are any of the people on 64k monthly somehow bothering you? 

There is compassion shown to younger folk. They can obtain a different kind of visa and as long as they don’t cause any trouble, they can stay. 
You come over like some curtain twitching granny. Why so unhappy? Did the dog urinate in your cornflakes this morning?

I was never heated up. I'm cool, calm and collected. Your reply posts started to get heated up since the top of this page in this thread because you have to bribe your way to stay on an retirement extension as you don't legally qualify and weren't happy with myself and others calling a spade a spade. A bribe is a bribe. The law is the law.

Older folks who don't qualify have the exact same options as younger folks to "obtain a different kind of visa and as long as they don’t cause any trouble". But many like yourself choose not to do this.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Keep the  800 000 Baht in a U.K bank account and get 40 000 a year interest  , keep the  money in Thailand and get 8000 Baht a year interest 

Yes, you'd be getting higher interest having your funds overseas but then you are doing the dodgy dodgy by not having your funds in Thailand as per the terms and conditions of a retirement extension and paying bribes to agents and immigration officers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Compassion, ok, maybe they should be compassionate and accept 30 year olds for a retirement visa too even though the legal requirement is 50 years old.

Philippines had similar but have rescinded it - seems too may Triads sought to "retire" there.

Edited by mokwit

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

I was never heated up. Your reply posts started to get heated up since the top of this page in this thread because you have to bribe your way to stay on an retirement extension as you don't legally qualify and weren't happy with myself and others calling a spade a spade. A bribe is a bribe. The law is the law.

Older folks who don't qualify have the exact same options as younger folks to "obtain a different kind of visa and as long as they don’t cause any trouble". But many like yourself choose not to do this.

I qualify fully for the visa that I utilise and I have little doubt that my quality of life surpasses your own. 
Where we differ is that I seem to be happier overall and therefore don’t have the inclination to spout hate and demonstrate derision for those in a different financial position. 
You must have had a horrible life for you to be so jealous/envious of those who don’t have to jump through the same hoops that you did. 
As you know, some people CHOOSE to keep their money offshore. If that pains you, then you are going to have to stay in pain. 
I prefer to be happy and therefore I don’t subject myself to bad thoughts and feelings due to something I read on the Internet. 
Time for you to pay a bit more attention to your mental health methinks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Yes, you'd be getting higher interest having your funds overseas but then you are doing the dodgy dodgy by not having your funds in Thailand as per the terms and conditions of a retirement extension and paying bribes to agents and immigration officers.

Immigration officers like us .

We pay them money and they don't have to do any work like checking documents and whatever .

You cheap Charlies paying 1900 Baht a year for a retirement visa are an annoyance to them . Making them work and not paying them 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You sound jealous jealous. Customer is happy. Agent is happy. IO is happy 😊 

Only you are not 😊 Too bad for you. 
You wish bad on other people, but you don’t understand that you are wishing it on yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, Celsius said:

Visa agents :cheesy:

How can people just surrender their passport to these scumbags, lol

I hope the issuing countries keep a tab on every mug who willingly surrenders the passport to these so called "agents" never issue a replacement passport again.

Any Pattaya Visa agent that I have used or know about except one have been very honest and offered an excellent service. do not tar them all with the same brush.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Immigration officers like us .

We pay them money and they don't have to do any work like checking documents and whatever .

You cheap Charlies paying 1900 Baht a year for a retirement visa are an annoyance to them . Making them work and not paying them 

I don't pay anything for a retirement visa. I'm wayyyyyyyyy off from getting to anywhere near that age to qualify for a retirement visa. That's why I said, people on retirement visas should have no problems with 800k in savings as people wayyyyyyyy younger than them have so much more in savings than only 800k. People in their 20's and 30's have that type of savings. If they can't afford 800k in savings they don't qualify and shouldn't be here. Some people have morals, ethics and follow the law. Others like to break the law, pay bribes and do dodgy stuff. There are tons of dodgy foreigners here in Thailand. Anyway, this will be my last post on this subject here.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, stoner said:
On 12/20/2023 at 12:28 PM, webfact said:

Chanidapha revealed that the affected tourists, who had paid approximately 32,000 baht (US$ 916) each, had approached her language school, but the school found no record of them in their system. This led to investigations that revealed more than 100 victims from over 10 different countries, which has significantly impacted the tourism image, reported KhaoSod.

ok 

1 - what is a tourist doing approaching a language school for a long term visa ? 

2 - no thailand you impact your own image. was it the tourists who set up this scam or locals ? 

I know reading is tough, but this sentence is clearly not blaming tourists. It is saying that because there were over 100 people with a variety of nationalities affected , it has an impact on Thailands image.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I don't pay anything for a retirement visa. I'm wayyyyyyyyy off from getting to anywhere near that age to qualify for a retirement visa. That's why I said, people on retirement visas should have no problems with 800k in savings as people wayyyyyyyy younger than them have so much more in savings than only 800k. People in their 20's and 30's have that type of savings. If they can't afford 800k in savings they don't qualify and shouldn't be here. Some people have morals, ethics and follow the law. Others like to break the law and do dodgy stuff. There are tons of dodgy foreigners here in Thailand.

Some people prefer not to keep 800 000 Baht in a Thailand bank .

Its not that they don't have it , its just that its better to keep it in a  home Country bank 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I know reading is tough, but this sentence is clearly not blaming tourists. It is saying that because there were over 100 people with a variety of nationalities affected , it has an impact on Thailands image.

uh huh. lets go with that then.

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2023 at 9:10 AM, daveAustin said:

Took me less than an hour to do my last extension, including the copying and filling out the form etc. 1,900 baht. Each to their own, but risking one's passport for a bit of time saved is nuts in my book.

If there is one visa area that will see a crackdown, it will be agents circumventing the financial requirements.  

24 hours?