Pattaya visa scam leaves hundreds of tourists out of pocket and overstaying

webfact

On 12/20/2023 at 5:43 PM, smedly said:

most of them have no choice as they cannot meet the financial requirements for a 12 month extension or refuse to

Some of the financial rules are difficult for some to adhere to. Not everyone has a private "pension" that pays a regular amount every month or every year (like dividend paymnets) but might otherwise meet all the criteria. Money in a Thai bank not making innterest is another consideration just as is  land-property ownership. Living long term here is not going to be easy with new taxation on all money from overseas and health insurance for the over 65s could simply make moving elsewhere in SE Asia the only option.

• Confused 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:23 PM, JimTripper said:

Learn to do things yourself. Don't use an agent for anything here. It's just blokes off the street doing things you could do on your own.

I could do my own taxes every year, but instead of pulling my hair out and going stark raving mad, I hire a professional to do my taxes for me. Hence, some of us just don't like dealing with government bureaucracies and we're willing to pay agents to do it for us.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Sure, I'm aware of that.🥴

But Christmas is also the time to hope for better times. Therefore I expressed my feelings.🧑‍🎄

Immigration hope for better times too, more money next year!

9 hours ago, oslooskar said:

I could do my own taxes every year, but instead of pulling my hair out and going stark raving mad, I hire a professional to do my taxes for me. Hence, some of us just don't like dealing with government bureaucracies and we're willing to pay agents to do it for us.

Of course you "could".

5 hours ago, smedly said:

taxes can be quite complicated - applying for a 12 month extension is not

Applying for a visa extension is easy, getting it is an entirely different matter. So, do try to bear in mind that getting an extension for some individuals, with different situations than your own, might be far more complicated without an agent.

40 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I agree! So, it's really a matter of personal choice. I could be a cheapskate and do them myself, or I could spare myself the aggravation and hire a professional to do my taxes for me.

You're aggravated because you can't do it, or are afraid to try because you might make a mistake.

I had a neighbor who kept paying someone to do his laundry. The truth was that he did not like doing it because he did not know how. There was also an ego issue, he felt like it was beneath him to do his own laundry.

I used to hang up my laundry in the garden to dry, something I enjoy doing, and he got pissed off and complained to the landlord. He did not even want to someone else doing it themselves.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

You're aggravated because you can't do it, or are afraid to try because you might make a mistake.

I had a neighbor who kept paying someone to do his laundry. The truth was that he did not like doing it because he did not know how. There was also an ego issue, he felt like it was beneath him to do his own laundry.

I used to hang up my laundry in the garden to dry, something I enjoy doing, and he got pissed off and complained to the landlord. He did not even want to someone else doing it themselves.

On the contrary, the only one here who is aggravated is you. After all, you're obviously very concerned with what I do, whereas, I am not the least bit concerned with what you do.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's always good fun reading posts from the old farts who were stupid enough to park money in Thailand when a mere 13,000 baht gets my legal extension done for me. Ahahaaaa

It's always good fun reading posts from the old farts who were stupid enough to park money in Thailand when a mere 13,000 baht gets my legal ILEGAL extension done for me. Ahahaaaa

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Joe Farang said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's a pity you're not "spot on".  It is not a crime for a foreigner to use the services of a visa agent.

I never said it was

You clearly implied that it is a crime as none of those foreigners in the OP were alleged to be criminals.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, bbi1 said:

You don't know agents help do the dodgy dodgy for old farts who don't have 800k in the bank and "help" then with this legal requirement for a big fee?

You only need to be over 50, so not necessarily such an old fart. 

From those I know I would say the more elderly do have the money and it is the younger 'retirees' who seem to have an aversion to depositing the cash locally. Some seem not to trust local banks and prefer to spend a substantial sum to bypass the requirement.... always struck me as surprising to spend so much if short of cash. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 10:29 PM, oslooskar said:

That is another idiotic thing to do. I do my own taxes better than the accountant. The number of times these tools screw up the numbers and then you have to pay penalties is amazing.

The only reason why i do not do my taxes now is because as non resident I am not allowed to.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Celsius said:

That is another idiotic thing to do. I do my own taxes better than the accountant. The number of times these tools screw up the numbers and then you have to pay penalties is amazing.

What is idiotic is the fact, as per your own admission, that you continued to hire incompetent individuals to handle your taxes, and they consistently made errors, leading to penalties. In my own case, my accountant has never made mistakes, and I have never had to pay any penalties. After all, I am very careful about whom I choose to hire.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You clearly implied that it is a crime as none of those foreigners in the OP were alleged to be criminals.

Look up the definition of "circumvent" Lou

I know what "circumvent" means and I see that you are still suggesting that those foreigners using that agency were "criminal foreigners".  Perhaps you should check the meaning of the word "criminal" in this context and, at the same time, check whether the use of an agent by a foreigner to expedite a legitimate visa/extension is a crime.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1