Government to shoulder Covid-19 insurance claims as insurers buckle under 60 billion baht payouts

webfact

d04f8380c694c739254d8df3c83d3848_small.jpg

Deputy Finance Minister Julapun Amornvivat has revealed that the Thai government may have to step in to assist with the hefty burden arising from Covid-19 insurance claims.

The grim situation has seen total payouts skyrocket to almost 60 billion baht, leaving non-life insurance companies in shambles and prompting the closure of those unable to meet the financial demands.

Julapun disclosed that the General Insurance Fund (GIF) under the Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC) lacks the necessary funds to cover the escalating claims. This dire circumstance has already led to the revocation of licences for several insurance companies, thrusting them into closure due to insufficient premiums and capital reserves.

Julapun highlighted the severity of the financial strain faced by the insurance industry.

by Mitch Connor 

Photo courtesy of thainews.prd.go.th

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

Wasn't the problem that the policies were written to the effect that if one were diagnosed with Covid at all that a certain payout was guaranteed regardless of the actual costs of treatment? This could be on a list of the top ten most crazy things that have happened in Thailand in this century. I had one of those policies, tested positive but didn't go to a doctor and get paperwork so there was no point in filing, and besides by then I really didn't believe they would pay.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Wasn't the problem that the policies were written to the effect that if one were diagnosed with Covid at all that a certain payout was guaranteed regardless of the actual costs of treatment? This could be on a list of the top ten most crazy things that have happened in Thailand in this century. I had one of those policies, tested positive but didn't go to a doctor and get paperwork so there was no point in filing, and besides by then I really didn't believe they would pay.

Yes exactly. I think they were called 'see, pay, done' policies. They were a scammers delight. Folks were buying the policies and then having 'catch it' parties to share the virus around. The most ridiculous insurance policy ever written.

This was a major blunder by the insurance companies and was nothing to do with the government of the day @bamnutsak.

• Agree 1

This would have been the absolute perfect setup for the BOT to let the baht fall or better yet push it over 40. This would make the baht and Thailand much more competitive with other regional currencies that are winning the FDI game. Of course, another opportunity floundered with Indonesia, Vietnam and now Malaysia (w/ super weak ringgit) being the cheapest countries to do business in.

• Thumbs Up 1