Reiki

Prubangboy

I just had my first Reiki treatment (I know nothing about it, booked it on a whim). It was very relaxing, a cross between a mental foot massage and a pre-dream state.

Not a lot to it: a sweetie gently touched me on the head and  ribs. I noticed my breathing changing and tension coming and going. The hour went fast.

I'm resistant to spa stuff and new age-anything. I fear crystal worship is next. But it did make me feel better.

Any Reiki, esoteric massage, acupuncture, or other alternative-type stuff that people have tried?

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Haha 1

My sister and her friends were into this stuff years ago. I was a willing test subject as most of then were kinda cute.

Can't say any of it did much of anything (didn't go for the acupuncture stuff - got my limits).

The Reiki - yeah, it's like that - relaxing, it's more about being with a nice person touching you in a certain calm inducing setting.

I did have some Italian girl (again...the cuteness factor) do some crystal stuff on me. To her disappointment, I drew the line when it came to the backdoor.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

maybe because most people doing this type of stuff are quacks?

She was 19, and confused, not a pro.

For example, I think most of my sister's friends are long past that phase, I know she is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Every single medical treatment or new medication must be "evidence based".

That means in most cases there must be double-blind studies with Thousands of test subjects.

Just in case you don't know, let's say there is a new pill for headache.

In a double-blind study half of the test subjects will get that pill in the other half will get a placebo, which in this case is a pill, that exactly looks like that pill but does not have any active ingredients.

Neither the patient nor the doctor handing out the pill does know if it is a placebo or the real one.

Later the patients report about the effectivity of that pill and the results will show if that pill really helps against headache or not.

Now a group of medics started to do the same thing with all those alternative treatment methods.

Sometimes it can be difficult to create a test setup, which leads to a waterproof result.

The patients of a Reiki master might experience the placebo effect and report positive results.

Reiki masters claim to have the ability to feel and even to guide the life force energy of a person through his body in order to promote healing, without touching the patient's body.

So the test was actually very simple. They positioned a partition wall in the middle of a room with two holes in it.

On one side there was a flatbed, where the patient would lay on and on the other side some seat cushion, where the Reiki master would sit and insert his hands through those holes to heal the patient without touching him.

Now those Reiki masters weren't even asked to heal anyone. All they had to do was to report if the life energy of the test subject was ok and if not, what was his health problem.

On the other side of that partition wall the test subjects would sometimes really lay on that flatbed and sometimes it was empty.

Long story short all those Reiki masters completely failed, with some of them diagnosing cancer or brain disorders, while there was no one on that flatbed.

Even if there actually was a person on the flatbed the Reiki masters would report completely different diagnoses; while one would say the patient suffers from bowel problems, the other master was sure, it was a migraine.

I personally think all those healer wannabes should be executed.

• Agree 1

Metaphysical mumbo jumbo for women and gays. No thanks.

Oh, the stories from India on this one lol.

Step over here, adjust your chakras... just take an hour...

[Old hippie, maximum stoner exclaiming after getting sick and tired of blissed out 35-55yo women complaining about charas being at smoked at famous charas smoking guesthouse] xFFS!!x the stoners are the only normal people on this whole mountain! Will you kindly xSTFUx!

Edited by Sluglord

It's not available too many places. Got mine at The Fa Lanna Spa in Chiang Mai. My wife reads a lot of spa menu's and can't recall seeing it elsewhere in Thailand. I might do it again out of further curiosity, if I was staying next to the spa again.

Fa Lanna Spa had other stuff like being kneaded with a bamboo stick or having little widgets hammered in between your shoulder blades. There's a 5-hour program where you study trad dance in between various rubs and ancient treatments. More cultural than physical in benefit.

https://fahlanna.com/spa-menu/

Whether these things are hype or not, the people who study them are very serious and dedicated. My Reiki person lives in a Reiki commune.

wish I could find proper shiatsu here. Someone mentioned such a person at The Meridian Hotel, but they didn't know them at the spa.

It cost me 2,000 baht for the full Reiki hour. Make fun of me.