Jump to content

Passengers and crew rescued from sinking ferry in Gulf of Thailand


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

On 12/23/2023 at 11:53 AM, Donbuie3 said:

I worked offshore Songkhla in the Gulf of Thailand. During one crane basket transfer from the boat to the rig, I looked down as we lifted up and the boat moved away from under us. There was a large whale shark there but more ominously it was accompanied by two large oceanic white tips!


Still using the collapsible Billy Pughs for rig transfers down there, pretty much banned everywhere else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, frank83628 said:

its nothing to do with the Lomprayah.

 

 

'' ... Later the owner of the night boat, Lomprayah Co. Ltd., sent two high speed boats, Phuyai Hor and Baan Diving, to rescue the tourists and help out.''

 

From the report.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BusyB said:

 

'' ... Later the owner of the night boat, Lomprayah Co. Ltd., sent two high speed boats, Phuyai Hor and Baan Diving, to rescue the tourists and help out.''

 

From the report.

well thats misreported,  Lomprayha might have sent the speed boats for the rescue, and i would imagine that big life raft was theirs, but totally separate company to the nightboat itself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2023 at 1:45 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Where do you think that a sunken boat, 15km offshore, normally ends up?

you sound like a sour old man with a very negative attitude, who gives a S--- what you saw! Normally when a boat breaks in half it sinks but that might be to difficult for you to get your head around!

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:


Still using the collapsible Billy Pughs for rig transfers down there, pretty much banned everywhere else. 

What a great experience, I did a lot of Scuba diving in Papua New Guinea and rarely had encounters with Oceanic white tips!  Whale sharks were a little more common. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:
On 12/23/2023 at 1:45 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Where do you think that a sunken boat, 15km offshore, normally ends up?

you sound like a sour old man with a very negative attitude, who gives a S--- what you saw! Normally when a boat breaks in half it sinks but that might be to difficult for you to get your head around!

"...who gives a S--- what you saw!".

And you "sound" like someone who cannot read what I posted, I did not post that I "saw" anything. 

I know that when a boat breaks up it sinks, that's why I asked scorecard ,"Where do you think that a sunken boat, 15km offshore, normally ends up?", after he asked, "Did it sink to the bottom?".  I think that all that is definitely too difficult for you to get your head around (to use your brilliantly chosen words).

Edited by Liverpool Lou
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

To remove the water being taken on and keep the vessel afloat.

Duh, that is patently obvious. You would hope that a passenger vessel is watertight but we all know Thailand and their program of regular maintenance and surveying.

Of course, you would expect some water ingress but not enough to cause it to sink. To have no backup is typical here.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, paul1804 said:

you sound like a sour old man with a very negative attitude, who gives a S--- what you saw! Normally when a boat breaks in half it sinks but that might be to difficult for you to get your head around!

Did it break in half???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Duh, that is patently obvious. You would hope that a passenger vessel is watertight but we all know Thailand and their program of regular maintenance and surveying.

Of course, you would expect some water ingress but not enough to cause it to sink. To have no backup is typical here.

 

 

I don't know any of what you have stated as fact.  The guy who was involved in the failed ferry from Sattahip to Koh Samui spoke of inspections for their ship.

 

The design of the vessel that sank disturbs me more than a lack of inspections.  The beam is narrow and there's a lot of superstructure above the deck. The high center of gravity would cause pronounced rolling in rough water.  There's also a large amount of sail area, so you wouldn't want to take wind on the beam.  

 

I've got to ask, are you an a s shole in person or just when your fingers are on a keyboard? If Thailand makes you so miserable there are hourly flights from BKK that can whisk you back to what used to be civilization, though you might find things back home less to your liking than they were a few years ago. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

 

I don't know any of what you have stated as fact.  The guy who was involved in the failed ferry from Sattahip to Koh Samui spoke of inspections for their ship.

 

The design of the vessel that sank disturbs me more than a lack of inspections.  The beam is narrow and there's a lot of superstructure above the deck. The high center of gravity would cause pronounced rolling in rough water.  There's also a large amount of sail area, so you wouldn't want to take wind on the beam.  

 

I've got to ask, are you an a s shole in person or just when your fingers are on a keyboard? If Thailand makes you so miserable there are hourly flights from BKK that can whisk you back to what used to be civilization, though you might find things back home less to your liking than they were a few years ago. 

You're the one getting bitter, look at your a s shole reply. Typical of a sour old man with nothing better to do than whinge like all your mates on this site

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, frank83628 said:

well thats misreported,  Lomprayha might have sent the speed boats for the rescue, and i would imagine that big life raft was theirs, but totally separate company to the nightboat itself

 

Admittedly there don't seem to be many fact-checkers in Thai newsrooms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, arick said:

What's the song called about the yellow balloon or the yellow piece of junk the great yellow balloons help me out come on is there anybody older than me in their 60s or 90s that can tell me the song

Ahhh  no :smile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2023 at 7:17 AM, PETERTHEEATER said:

An English language report from another source says the ferry was hit by a high sea state including 3 metre high waves which flooded the lower deck causing engine failure.

Also, that navy divers would inspect the vessel.

well… “high sea state including 3 metre high waves” - amazing Thailand :laugh:

 

Nobody in the North Sea, Baltic Sea, Biscaya would even talk about that wave height !  Sailing with a small 27 feet sailing boat in 3m waves is no problem (so long as … you know, what you are doing and the boat is well maintained).

(Even with a significant wave height of 2m - which would be applied for the 2nd lowest CE classification for boats: C in coastal waters - you have to expect one or the other 3m wave.)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...