Jump to content

Passengers and crew rescued from sinking ferry in Gulf of Thailand


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

An English language report from another source says the ferry was hit by a high sea state including 3 metre high waves which flooded the lower deck causing engine failure.

Also, that navy divers would inspect the vessel.

Yes, the Bangkok Post reported that, also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The video clip shown on thai TV last night show just ht a shamble this accident was.

Crew jumping in the wate without any life jakets;  passsenger in the wate instead of being trnsferred frm life raft to rescue ship.... Did anyone at the scene have any training in marine safety or rescue?   it looked as if a buch of monkey could have done better.

Dare anyobne inspect the other itner island ferries?  Would there be any point?  

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 300sd said:

So the well serviced vessel had a leak and since the engine stopped working the pump didn't work either.

 

Thank god everyone was saved. I pass on boat trips around here.

Nowhere that I can find, does it say that the vessel had a leak. Where did you glean that little gem from?

That boat sits low in the water. With waves of up to 3 - 4 meters, they will break over the deck and enter the vessel. One report says that this then caused the water pumps to stop working.

Apart from those two little errors, your comment is accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

In the linked report:

 

However the night boat later sank after splitting into two in the middle with Koh Tao police investigating how this occurred.

 

At least the skipper had the nous to get his SOS off in time. Imagine if everyone had still been on board ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, off road pat said:

Of course, but this is how inspections are carried out !!!

Money Thai brown envelopes.jpg

 

And this 'ship' was owned by Lomprayah, the catamaran company. You'd expect something better  from them wouldn't you? At least I did, but now I'm rethinking a trip with their boats to Samui in February. Let's see what emerges from the 'investigation'.

Edited by BusyB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 2baht said:

Is this the much taunted tourist safety we read so much about?

I saw that boat when I was in Ko Phagnan. 

 

It's the overnight cargo slow boat from Surat.

 

Those aren't "tourists" so much as it's young people looking for adventure or just cheapskates trying to save the price of a room and fly to a cheaper airport than Koh Samui. 😋

Edited by SiSePuede419
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Nowhere that I can find, does it say that the vessel had a leak. Where did you glean that little gem from?

That boat sits low in the water. With waves of up to 3 - 4 meters, they will break over the deck and enter the vessel. One report says that this then caused the water pumps to stop working.

Apart from those two little errors, your comment is accurate.

"after the engine of the boat failed mid-voyage and water began to flow into the vessel". This says to me that there is a leak. Perhaps not from the bottom but a leak all the same. Water going into a ship is a leak. That thing they are calling a boat should only be in a small lake. Just look at those beautiful lines. It's definitely not for open water even in the Gulf of Thailand. Nevermind passengers! Most vessels will ride out a storm without an engine. It's called drifting. Wonder why that engine stopped? The passengers are very lucky.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, neeray said:

Perhaps the boat owners had never heard the idiom, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". (maintenance be damned, full speed ahead).

It's not that they haven't heard it... they don't know what ounces and pounds are... grams and kilos maybe...

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In this thread on which you're posting!

i read the 1st linked article which didn't mention it, but the second one did. i cant help but wonder how factual that is, Bangkok post, Thai PBS, the Nation or any others don't mention it splitting in half, i cant say i've heard of 'thai newsroom' before. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I saw that boat when I was in Ko Phagnan. 

 

It's the overnight cargo slow boat from Surat.

 

Those aren't "tourists" so much as it's young people looking for adventure or just cheapskates trying to save the price of a room and fly to a cheaper airport than Koh Samui. 😋

so nobody should take any other route than fly to samui? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, BusyB said:

 

And this 'ship' was owned by Lomprayah, the catamaran company. You'd expect something better  from them wouldn't you? At least I did, but now I'm rethinking a trip with their boats to Samui in February. Let's see what emerges from the 'investigation'.

its nothing to do with the Lomprayah.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i read the 1st linked article which didn't mention it, but the second one did. i cant help but wonder how factual that is, Bangkok post, Thai PBS, the Nation or any others don't mention it splitting in half, i cant say i've heard of 'thai newsroom' before. 

Well, if you've never heard of Thai Newsroom it must be a load of b0llocks...that must be the rule.

  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, if you've never heard of Thai Newsroom it must be a load of b0llocks...that must be the rule.

no, i meant the usual main outlets didn't say it broke in half, only 1/7 articles i read mentioned it, so i wondered how true it was. also just read another that said it capsized. its hard to find the actual facts between Chinese whispers and flat out BS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2023 at 1:37 PM, NanLaew said:

I think the licence for these vessels is issued by a 'harbour master', at least I recall that was the character mentioned in a similar tale of woe about a "ferry" from Pattaya to Koh Larn. I thought it was a strange job title for a place that never did have a harbour beyond the old fishing boat jetty.

 

But getting back to whoever is responsible, I recall several fires in unlicensed night clubs where people burned to death. There's never any clarity if these places were ever inspected by the local fire department or if the local fire department turned a blind eye for one reason or another.

 

Either way, I am sure harbour masters and fire chiefs look nice in their pressed uniforms with medals and campaign ribbons, etc..

Inspected  or not inspected,  do those who do the inspecting really know what they're looking for, there are so many  unskilled workers in Thailand  I think they just put on an inspectors  hat and coat,  & that's good enough ......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...