I love everything about Pattaya what about you ?

georgegeorgia

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Some people just hate the notion that others might enjoy living in Pattaya. I guess always people who don't live in Pattaya. By the way, I haven't been to WS in months and rarely go to soi 6 which is a 10 minute walk away.

What do you do in Pattaya?

I came 2002 and chose Pattaya because it was easy for me to reach my jobs around the world within 36 hrs.

Cool is also that you get a lot of things like Cheese, Hams, Western Food (Name it you get it)...

Regarding good European Restaurants you could be sure that some of the owners worked that extra bit on quality to stand the hard competition.

As Freelancer a certain industry grew in Asia and I was right in the proximity, got great Contracts using Pattaya.

Mostly paying 3000 - 15000 Baht I could invite and fly in the HR Manager or Boss for the job inteview and drag him into a Pardise (All Asians love Walking Street)

You pickle them in Beer and Booze and spend a coin (around 30000 incl Barfine and Girl or two) where you could show you are "expensive"

Every contract was signed the next morning without hesitation.

On the other hand I met my wife there running a Pa Tong Ko chart in Soi Nern Plub Wan.

She was a farmer's daughter and I came from Coutryside Germany and I stayed in Pattaya Darkside never went to the redlight area without my customers or friends visiting me from Europe

My wife and I knew one day we will turn our back to Pattaya and return back to our roots.

Now living in Isaan I must admit that Pattaya was not right for me and I should have moved way earlier into Isaan which I consider the real Thailand.

I say:

Pattaya you can only love or hate and in my deepest feeling I always hated it, because the Moo Baan houses limit your activities if you love Farming. Citylife is pure stress and other reasons involving too many broken or dumb Farangs like once some Baloonchasers that spoiled the entire Buffet during my 50th B-day Party... 

Western Food and Groceries are now also in Abundance available in Khon Kaen, my best two Farang friends died in Pattaya so I have nothing left over there.

Missing Pattaya I must give a 100% "No" -but I cannot say that I didn't learn in Pattaya everything you need to know to live in Thailand.

Many farangs I could watch and say "so not" THAT is not retirement and the ones that were an example moved also Countryside or in the outside regions of Pattaya.

47 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:
51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just as there is an awful lot more to Bangkok than Nana, there's an awful lot more to Pattaya than what's in your mind.

Such as?

I'm sure that you're capable of doing your own research for the things that you like to occupy yourself with.  

57 minutes ago, BigStar said:

That you're aware of, having seen little of Pattaya, but in fact there is, living in the upscale condos and the housing estates all around. Business owners, professionals, middle managers, etc. Kids going to private schools and later studying abroad, the whole bit. The dynamic growing economy built on international and domestic tourism and retirees has led to a surprisingly prosperous small city. 

The argument that the middle class isn't as large as Bangkok's is silly and irrelevant, given the respective sizes of the cities. The worry about "residency" is phony in any case. You don't have a credible argument.

Don't confuse the economic development of the Eastern Seaboard with the prostitution driven economic activity of Pattaya.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

All the prostitutes in Thailand wouldn't generate anywhere near the revenue required to power the level of development going on in Pattaya.

As I have already tried to explain, an infrastructure has developed - hotels, supporting services, golf, Bangkok weekenders etc so that Pattaya has a momentum of its own and has in fact for several decades.But the truth is, which even major hoteliers don't deny, that it was built on prostitution.

I can think of other places round the globe which more discretely perhaps had the same kind of origin.What's unique to Pattaya is the mainly very downmarket clientele.Look at the farang influencers who promote Pattaya on social media.I mean just look at them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jayboy said:

As I have already tried to explain, an infrastructure has developed - hotels, supporting services, golf, Bangkok weekenders etc so that Pattaya has a momentum of its own and has in fact for several decades.But the truth is, which even major hoteliers don't deny, that it was built on prostitution.

I can think of other places round the globe which more discretely perhaps had the same kind of origin.What's unique to Pattaya is the mainly very downmarket clientele.Look at the farang influencers who promote Pattaya on social media.I mean just look at them.

You were discussing the present. And I dispute that prostitution was ever the main driving force behind Pattaya. Bangkok in the 80's and before simply blew both Pattaya and Phuket out of the water when it came to bang for the buck.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Although I live within 30km of Pattaya, I only really go there to do the weekly grocery shopping.  I'm fairly ambivalent about the City itself, (as I am with all Cities) but I do like the diverse number of good quality restaurants and the well equipped and accessible amenities, such as hospitals.  It's why I chose to live near the City, but I would not wish to live in it. 

Ditto - we are close but not too close. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Although I live within 30km of Pattaya, I only really go there to do the weekly grocery shopping.  I'm fairly ambivalent about the City itself, (as I am with all Cities) but I do like the diverse number of good quality restaurants and the well equipped and accessible amenities, such as hospitals.  It's why I chose to live near the City, but I would not wish to live in it. 

Absolutely!

The only downer is I guess living 30km out of Pattaya is forced to own a car 

If they had better transport on the Darkside I would consider it 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely!

The only downer is I guess living 30km out of Pattaya is forced to own a car 

If they had better transport on the Darkside I would consider it 

Yes, a car is pretty much essential where I live, but it's peaceful, quiet and picturesque. Difficult to say that about a City. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

35 years living in Thailand ,been all over the North , North East , South and inbetween,

but have never been to Pattaya , just does not appeal to me ,not into spending all day

and night sitting in a bar , but many Expats seem happy to do that .

regards worgeordie

You can sit in front of mikes mall and gaze out to sea with a thousand yard stare! Like the rest of them 

• Thumbs Up 1