Thailand’s Southern Meteorological Centre issues severe weather warning

webfact

image.jpeg

The Southern Meteorological Centre in Songkhla has issued its 10th warning, alerting eight provinces to the potential dangers of heavy rainfall, flash floods, landslides, and forest runoff.

Rough seas in the Gulf of Thailand, with waves reaching up to four metres, are also a concern. Small boats have been advised to remain ashore due to these hazardous conditions along the coastal areas.

The announcement from the Southern Meteorological Centre (89/2566) today, December 23, addresses the strong wind waves in the Gulf of Thailand and heavy to very heavy rain in the eastern part of the South (from December 23 to 26).

The Meteorological Department has issued its 10th announcement; the temperature is expected to drop further, and there will be strong winds. Heavy rainfall in the southern region has been attributed to the high atmospheric pressure or the intense cold air mass from China that has spread to cover the upper part of Thailand and the South China Sea. This, combined with the strong northeastern monsoon blowing over the southern Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea, has led to the adverse weather conditions.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know where they got that rather worrying radar image from, but it does not match the live one i just looked at for Phuket and South Thailand. 

Looks like the image is from November 2017. Hmm..

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mikebell said:

'severe weather warning' - I've had to put a T-shirt on for breakfast - 23 & rising.

The article on this forum is a cropped version of the original article. If you read that, and the national news, the 'severe weather warning' is for 8 southern provinces and concerns floodings, not cold temperatures.

• Agree 1

On 12/23/2023 at 5:13 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Today I thought how one could to escape the cold (but sunny) weather here.

Please do not say that I did not warn you.

Last week, I felt the impending frigid temperatures in my Oracle Bones.

I even posted a Topic warning to this effect.

People thought I was nutzo, as usual.

But, my Oracle Bones never lie.

On 12/25/2023 at 2:37 AM, arithai12 said:

The article on this forum is a cropped version of the original article. If you read that, and the national news, the 'severe weather warning' is for 8 southern provinces and concerns floodings, not cold temperatures.

Was your sense of humour surgically removed at birth or is it a genetic thing?