Trump's strategy to delay trial may be winning

CharlieH

image.png

The Supreme Court's decision not to rule quickly on whether Donald Trump can be prosecuted on election-subversion charges may help delay his trial, according to ex-prosecutors.

But they told the BBC this strategy of filing repeated challenges will only put off the inevitable and could even backfire on the former president in terms of timing for his White House campaign next year.

On Friday the justices declined to rule on whether Mr Trump has immunity from prosecution in the case, turning down special counsel Jack Smith's request to take up the matter in an expedited manner.

The Supreme Court offered no explanation, saying only that Mr Smith's petition "was denied".

The special counsel's office has not yet commented on the decision, which is seen as a major setback to his case against Mr Trump.

It is unclear, however, how long the trial might be delayed, or whether it might be pushed back beyond the 2024 election.

Mr Trump is currently the Republican frontrunner for a rematch against President Joe Biden next November.

The special counsel indicted the ex-president in August for allegedly conspiring to overturn the results of the last election in the lead-up to the US Capitol riot on 6 January 2021.

Friday's ruling means that the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit will have to hear the case first. But eventually, it is likely the Supreme Court will have to make a ruling anyway.

Mr Smith had argued that the appeals process could delay the start of the trial, which is due to begin on 4 March.

For now, the judge in the case, Tanya Chutkan, has paused proceedings while Mr Trump's legal team appeals. He has repeatedly argued he has immunity from prosecution because he was acting in an official capacity at the time of the riot.

Gene Rossi, a former federal prosecutor with decades of experience at the US justice department, told the BBC the decision is a "huge setback for Jack Smith on the scheduling front".

"However, his request for expedited review was a noble attempt to move this trial along," he added. "Mr Trump, whose immunity appeal is not strong, will not face the 6 January music for multiple months."

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

It will be through the appeals court soon,the SC is trying to dodge the question as to not give snowflake trump any way to clame his poor little self is being mistreated and railroaded it does delay it a bit though 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm sure the timing of the Supreme Court's ruling will be arranged to cause Trump the maximum amount of damage.

The politicization of the legal system in the US continues unabated.

It will fail though. Trump will defeat Biden. Stamp it. 

You have no idea what's coming.

First off, young voters have little regard for Trump, and there are more of them every day. On the other hand, old people vote for Trump, but they are dying off (Trump killed a lot during Covid).

Secondly, you will see a shocking number of Republicans endorsing Biden, including at the Democratic Convention.

Third, the State of the Union is coming. That's when the Dems will roll out the educational campaign about the good economy.

Also, Biden will describe his plans for his next term.

Watch and learn.

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

First off, young voters have little regard for Trump, and there are more of them every day. On the other hand, old people vote for Trump, but they are dying off (Trump killed a lot during Covid).

Young voters, maybe they do (but you provide proof of nothing and continue to lie, misinform, make false claims & embarrass yourself), but there'e some basis to believe they probably have less regard for corrupt Biden. Not only the young voters, Biden's own party wants him out. He's damaged goods now, rocked by the largest corruption scandal in US history and his policies are being rejected by different voter cohorts now. He's done, and thats good for America and democracy.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/01/joe-biden-young-voter-problem-523588

Bienyoungvoterproblem.thumb.jpg.030edd8e18222ee34c89f06f7762b4a0.jpg

Covid deaths saw 415,000 deaths until Trump exited the WH on Jan 20, 2021, Biden has killed more than 700,000, much more than Trump DESPITE have covid vaccinations and boosters. The Trump Warp Speed vaccines were officially announced approx 1 week after the 2020 election and mass roll-out kicked off during Biden's tenure. Effectively there were no vaccines available during Trumps presidency. It was the Biden policies that caused covid illness & excess covid deaths and not Trump. How could so many people have died under Biden? 

It's odd that despite comprising less than 4% of the worlds population, US "registered" more than 16% of covid deaths reported here https://covid19.who.int/

Link: Our World in Data

Bidencoviddeaths.thumb.jpg.abe95580cb9021899cc328810eee2344.jpg

Edited by illisdean
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

You've already been definitively answered on this ridiculous covid claim before. It only deserves a ridiculous answer. Here it is: if you average out the number of deaths Trump served  since the first Covid mortality, and the number of days Biden has been in office, you'll find that the average for Biden is considerably less. 

• Like 2

If he doesn't become the occupant of the WH in 2025 (note that I did not use the word elected) then MAYBE this case will be resolved in time for the 2031 primary race.  The delays in the current criminal trials can easily be stretched to affect the 2028 election (which begins primaries in 2027), another four years of the same vain shadow show.  If DT dies before the guilty verdicts come in that means he wins, right?  If he does draw convicting verdicts, they will be under appeal as long as he has a heartbeat.  He will never get to wear the jumpsuit that matches his makeup.  Yeah, I don't like it either, but that's what it's looking like. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

If he doesn't become the occupant of the WH in 2025 (note that I did not use the word elected) then MAYBE this case will be resolved in time for the 2031 primary race.  The delays in the current criminal trials can easily be stretched to affect the 2028 election (which begins primaries in 2027), another four years of the same vain shadow show.  If DT dies before the guilty verdicts come in that means he wins, right?  If he does draw convicting verdicts, they will be under appeal as long as he has a heartbeat.  He will never get to wear the jumpsuit that matches his makeup.  Yeah, I don't like it either, but that's what it's looking like. 

I’m inclined to agree with you be that as it may we will all win when he kicks the bucket 

• Agree 1

I hope I'm still alive when Don Jr runs, something to look forward to.  On the campaign trail he's going to end up like Steve Buscemi in "Fargo."  Hopefully he'll still have his present fiance.  

BTW, for those who don't know, Don Jr's fiance is the ex-wife of Gavin Newsom.  Also, she used to have a show on Fox.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:24 PM, Danderman123 said:

Third, the State of the Union is coming. That's when the Dems will roll out the educational campaign about the good economy.

Also, Biden will describe his plans for his next term.

I just can't wait, and I'm all agog to hear Biden tell us how great a job he's been doing on the Southern border.

Assuming of course that he's still capable of stringing a sentence together by then.

Plans for the next term? Not falling off his bike or talking to dead people would be a good plan.

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, Danderman123 said:

There are plenty of trials up ahead. The important ones are the state trials, because Trump (or any Republican governor) can't pardon his way out of state convictions.

I wish they'd just get on with it then. Perhaps they want to wait till election day, or even the date he's going to get sworn in. IMO they've been so blatant about politicizing the court cases so far, they might as well go for broke.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I just can't wait, and I'm all agog to hear Biden tell us how great a job he's been doing on the Southern border.

Assuming of course that he's still capable of stringing a sentence together by then.

Plans for the next term? Not falling off his bike or talking to dead people would be a good plan.

The Biden administration has detained more illegals at the border than Trump was able to do.

You know you're trapped in the Orange Jesus cult when you believe that catching more illegals = open border.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The Biden administration has detained more illegals at the border than Trump was able to do.

You know you're trapped in the Orange Jesus cult when you believe that catching more illegals = open border.

That's probably because more illegals are arriving now that when Trump was POTUS.

Next.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you being deliberately provocative, or are you unable to read/ comprehend properly? Trump is not "my man".

Ahhh I’d call different on that one lol you are so far up that man’s leg it’s laughable 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Naaa most likely finishing off Putin than more sound legislation to move the country forward into the future 

Consider that the longer things take, the more other things may come to light, and thus it all gets more damning.

I haven't heard this mentioned since it happened:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/29/barack-obama-sanctions-russia-election-hack

Ain't it funny the guy who is always reaching to depict others in conspiracies against himself has so little to say about this? 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you ever think before posting erroneous nonsense?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/2023/12/29/immigrants-ice-border-deportations-2023/

Nearly 18,000 of those deported were parents and children traveling as family units, surpassing the 14,400 removed under the Trump administration in fiscal 2020.

On 1/1/2024 at 1:21 PM, Danderman123 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/2023/12/29/immigrants-ice-border-deportations-2023/

Nearly 18,000 of those deported were parents and children traveling as family units, surpassing the 14,400 removed under the Trump administration in fiscal 2020.

and?

Is it some sort of competition?

Without knowing the actual number of illegal entries your figures are meaningless as statistics.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1