RE: OF TIME AND THE RIVER....Another Year...Gone By....So Quickly...Tsk...Tsk...!

GammaGlobulin

As we continue to age (and is there any other way to live?), during this holiday season, we are reminded of the passage of time, most cruelly, it seems to me....

Anyway, this novel just popped into my head, one I read many years ago, and I think I might read it, again, before 2023 finally closes, out from under us.

I have always thought that the novels written by Wolfe has some meaning for me, and maybe you might feel the same?

Here is an excerpt to think about while your are gobbling down your gobbler....:

Excerpt[edit]

"At that instant he saw, in one blaze of light, an image of unutterable conviction, the reason why the artist works and lives and has his being—the reward he seeks—the only reward he really cares about, without which there is nothing. It is to snare the spirits of mankind in nets of magic, to make his life prevail through his creation, to wreak the vision of his life, the rude and painful substance of his own experience, into the congruence of blazing and enchanted images that are themselves the core of life, the essential pattern whence all other things proceed, the kernel of eternity."

image.png.63f33bd363eda200ee51af8b29360e13.png

How old are you, this year, might I ask?

Are you older than you were last year?

I just mean...are you wiser?

I hope you are.

Otherwise, what were you doing with yourself during the past year that you are not a bit wise this year?

There is good reason why time passes in only one direction in this universe.

Do you know the reason?

Do you care?

Or, to you do your best to remain as oblivious as possible to reality, at this point in your lives?

Maybe I will add a few thoughts in the comments section below, just in case anyone might wish to comment concerning this Pure Gold Topic of mine, this blustery Christmas Eve, in Thailand....

Merry Christmas.

And, I would be more of a Scrooge if I did not care so much about all my close friends on TV....

I mean, I don't want to pour too much cold water on Christmas Eve...

Gamma Globulin

Merry Christmas to ALL....!

NOTE:  Wolfe was a GENIUS  (And, whom amongst us does not prefer a GENIUS?)

image.png.75232a81259978cbcdf95e23ce00b790.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Bro, I'm not reading anything that has more than two lines. What are you getting at? 

I am just getting at the fact that I might be feeling a bit of pathos, both for me and others, at the realization that another year has passed us by.

Maybe, I wish I could live forever, but not really.

Thomas Wolfe is an amazing author who understood the concept of....

Did you ever have the feeling that you wanted to stay....or go.....

28 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

what about humans barking on the internet?

how do we fix that problem?

oh sorry. wrong thread?

Right thread.

Wrong author.

Tom Wolfe (not Thomas Wolfe) wrote:

“They chain it up, and they beat it, and they bait it, and they taunt it, and they beat it some more, until it turns and bares its fangs and is ready for the final fight every time it hears a sound. (...) Well, in that situation dogs are smarter than humans. The dog doesn’t cling to the notion that he’s a fabulous house pet in some terrific dog show, the way the man does. The dog gets the idea. The dog knows when it’s time to turn into an animal and fight.”

Tom Wolfe, The Bonfire of the Vanities

And then, there is Virginia Woolf, but that is yet another author.

image.png.168491c73711855d1750aa542985f02c.png

YALE University, PhD....

Yeah...

Ivy League...

My type of guy.

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

agreed.

when you go into an Ivy league school, you have a Pretty Small D*ck. 

And when you graduate, you have a Pretty Huge D*ck (PHD)

You sound like a member, in more ways than one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, stoner said:

i don't blame you for being scared gamma not one little bit. ain't no person in their right mind ain't scared of white waters 

Even worse than the white waters...Is...

Blackwater Fever.

Best you sleep under a net, my friend.

Love your deep dives into forgotten writers.

Thomas Wolfe (I prefer Tom Wolfe as a writer) had that dense, overwritten style that today's readers cannot bear. As he said to Hemingway, "You're a taker outer, I'm a putter in-er." Like fellow genius's Faulkner and Steinbeck, his is a world where the various American regions were starkly different from each other.

If bad luck ever brings you to Asheville, NC, his home is as crammed as his books.

https://wolfememorial.com