Which rice to give

BenStark

2 minutes ago, BusyB said:

So answer my question (or not, I don't care). I notice you ignored the self critical second part of my post. Nor did you respond to my first post. I was just trying to be helpful. It appears to have gone right over your head.

Don't spoil a good thought by coming out with those kind of insults. The question arises as to whose chip you are referring to. It ain't mine, nor was I looking for an argument.

Oh, and as a learning aid in basic calculation, I don't need to know how much you want to spend and I don't care about that either. The problem you set is very simple as is the (second) answer I gave.

It is none of your business how much I want to donate, and I didn't respond to your first off topic post, because my OP was very clear.

Which one will they appreciate more, a bigger quantity of standard quality rice, or a smaller quantity (costing the same amount of money) of premium quality.

I didn't ask about pencils or colour books

I think they will appreciate the smaller amount of higher quality.  They will know straight away that it's a good rice and not the poorer everyday rice,  and a couple of buckets of KFC and you will be remembered for a few months after.  

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It is none of your business how much I want to donate, and I didn't respond to your first off topic post, because my OP was very clear.

Which one will they appreciate more, a bigger quantity of standard quality rice, or a smaller quantity (costing the same amount of money) of premium quality.

I didn't ask about pencils or colour books

I can't be bothered with this.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure the children's home doesn't lack for rice.  And, remembering back when I was a kid, the last thing I'd want for the holiday is a plate of rice. 

Holidays are special occasions, so purchase something the kids would consider special.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, connda said:

I'm sure the children's home doesn't lack for rice.  And, remembering back when I was a kid, the last thing I'd want for the holiday is a plate of rice. 

When you were a kid I doubt you lived in Thailand and ate rice every day.

I'm sure they buy rice and everything else from their available funds, and rice can be kept for long time.

As I said, there are more than 100 kids in there, if i want to buy something special for every kid, even something small would run in the tens of thousands of baht.

50 kilo's of standard  quality rice will always look better than 25 kilos of higher quality rice , you could always put it in an unmarked sack, which is probably how the local donations arrive.   If they are genuinely short of rice they  will be glad of the larger quantity   if they are awash with rice they can always mix it together.  Maybe they would prefer sticky rice .  The only way to find out is to ask them,  no point in asking on here.

The kids probably couldn't care less,  and   i doubt they are starving

As others have mentioned it is a little naive to believe that all donations to charities end up where they should, be it cash or anything else

In the village where I am there are countless requests for donations of rice and money,  usually for the local temple, far be it from me to make accusations of misappropriation but after they have counted up the donations received and publicly broadcast the names of the donators and how much they have individually given , the phoo yai and his cronies always seem to publicly enjoy a good drink, more often than not the empty bottles of regency can be seen stacked up outside the office

Bad form if you ask me , considering most of those contributing are not exactly rich to say the least

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

How does he know what will happen to it? 
Personally I would give things that didn’t invite misappropriation. 

This borders on clinical paranoia.

You need to lead a 100% risk-free life. You shouldn't ever buy a toaster, lest the guarantee that comes with it doesn't pan out if it breaks.

How indeed, does anyone know for absolute sure that any donation is going anywhere? What's to stop these evil miscreants from re-selling the rice? 

What are the odds that this micro-charity is a bunch of thieves and that just goes on and on for years? The odds are tiny. Get a grip.

Again, OP, you're a lovely person. 

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

This borders on clinical paranoia.

You need to lead a 100% risk-free life. You shouldn't ever buy a toaster, lest the guarantee that comes with it doesn't pan out if it breaks.

How indeed, does anyone know for absolute sure that any donation is going anywhere? What's to stop these evil miscreants from re-selling the rice? 

What are the odds that this micro-charity is a bunch of thieves and that just goes on and on for years? The odds are tiny. Get a grip.

Again, OP, you're a lovely person. 

You are just writing nonsense. I didn’t even bother to read beyond the first line. 
I reiterate, unless you know…

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, NextG said:

You are just writing nonsense. I didn’t even bother to read beyond the first line. 
I reiterate, unless you know…

Spot on ,  A bit of cynicism goes a long way,   especially here.   But globally how much of the money donated to charity ends up were it's needed, and how much goes towards the six figure salaries some of their executives enjoy.

I don't doubt the OP's motivation, but If I was making a donation, I would try to give something that would be of little interest to light fingered adults  

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thai Mali Hom is the quintessential rice for most Thai households.

But me?  I would personally go to Makro and buy a case of cookies and Milo 3 and 1 and snacks.  Give the kids a treat.  And?  Buy the rice too for the communal kitchen.

100 liters of Thai Mali Hom from a local retailer (not a big box store like Makro) will be about 25 THB per liter.  The local retailers will often sell in "liters' (one liter cup) as opposed to attempting to weight it - well - unless you are buy bulk  But just consider this a reference.  So 100 liters of rice (that's a whole lotta rice) will cost about 2500 THB.  I buy 20 liters every two week for a family comprised of a human couple, 10 dogs, one cat (who does not eat rice), and a bird (who does). 

New rice is out now too.  Unfortunately I don't like new rice except when it's used in Kaow-Lam (sweet new rice in a bamboo casing).  But sticky rice would probably be appreciated too. 

Treats dude!  Candy, cakes, puddings, snacks.  The kids will love you forever. 

Talk to those who run the children's home and ask them what they need the most. 

And really - know what children need?  Good protein. 

So if I was buying for the children's home, I probably purchase this:
Snacks and drinks
100 liters of Thai Mali Hom
20 kilos of pork and/or chicken and/or seafood

I'd leave buying fresh veggies to the children's home, but then again, that is why you should ask them what they need the most.  Or just fund an entire "Special Holiday Meal" for the home and ask to attend the dinner you arranged. 

So much potential to do a wonderful thing here.  Go for it.

And thank you.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

When you were a kid I doubt you lived in Thailand and ate rice every day.

I'm sure they buy rice and everything else from their available funds, and rice can be kept for long time.

As I said, there are more than 100 kids in there, if i want to buy something special for every kid, even something small would run in the tens of thousands of baht.

What's the name and address of the Children's Home.  10,000 THB to purchase things for the home could make a day or two out of an orphan's life very, very special. 

There are 1000's of dogs and cats out there.  I can only save a few.  But dang, does it make me feel good to care for the 10 of my own plus maybe 20 others who are strays or temple dogs.

Today I spent 2500 THB just on pet food.  Some for our dogs and the rest for the temple dogs we care for. And, we spent 30,000 THB to build a bathroom at our Buddhist temple's crematorium so there are separate bathrooms from monks and naens, and for those attending funeral ceremonies

My wife and I do what we can and feel good about it.

You Can Not Save Them All.  But You Can Make It Special For Some. 

Do what you can!  Want a force-multiplier?  Organized a funding drive to help the children's home.   You are a good person.  I appreciate what you are doing. 

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

But globally how much of the money donated to charity ends up were it's needed, and how much goes towards the six figure salaries some of their executives enjoy.

Which is why I don't donate to large multi-national "charities." Many of those organization are, at best, grifters seeking to separate good people from their money in the name of "helping the needy and poor and blah blah blah blah blah" while enriching those who organize and run the so-called "charities."

Personally my money goes mostly into physical things like goods, and foods, and buildings, and building services, and verifiable operating costs of the organization(s) that I support (not freaking supporting 6 to 7 figure salaries for those whom I look upon as, at best, charlatans, and at worst - complete soul-less grifters).  Keep your charity local so you can watch the good work it accomplishes.

Edited by connda
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BusyB said:

It's clear from this OP's responses to me and many others who've tried to help that s/he's really just an argumentative and very unfriendly grump who wants to appear as Mr./Ms. Benevolence. 

My OP should have been very clear, even to those with a 2 digit IQ.

The OP was what would they appreciate more, a larger quantity of fragrant rice, or a smaller quantity of premium quality rice, as both would cost the same price.

I DIDN'T ask what else I should buy, how much I should spend as that is none of your business, or if I should give cash instead.

The reason I want to donate rice is that I know then every child will get to join my gift.

If I wanted to buy something for each child individual, even the smallest McD menu would set me back tens of thousands of baht for over 100 of children.

Most on this forum don't donate ever a SINGLE baht to a children home, so who are you to tell me how much I should give and what I should spend it on?

And now admin, please close this thread as I'm sick of the imbeciles

Edited by BenStark
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Which is why I don't donate to large multi-national "charities." Many of those organization are, at best, grifters seeking to separate good people from their money in the name of "helping the needy and poor and blah blah blah blah blah" while enriching those who organize and run the so-called "charities."

Personally my money goes mostly into physical things like goods, and foods, and buildings, and building services, and verifiable operating costs of the organization(s) that I support (not freaking supporting 6 to 7 figure salaries for those whom I look upon as, at best, charlatans, and at worst - complete soul-less grifters).  Keep your charity local so you can watch the good work it accomplishes.

Couldn't have put it any better,  some of these charities behave in a reprehensible manner, daytime TV in the UK ,  (often watched by the elderly) is full of them   £5 for a donkey, £5 for a hair lip repair, £5 for water, etc etc.   Once a donation has been made, ones name then goes on a list, and many vulnerable old people have been hounded by all sorts of dubious foundations into donating a lot more than they can actually afford, and where does it end up?

I don't think there is anything wrong in exercising a bit of caution ,  if one wants to help orphaned kids , it is only sensible to ensure that donations made are reaching their intended destination.   One or two on this thread seem to think otherwise,   

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My OP should have been very clear, even to those with a 2 digit IQ.

The OP was what would they appreciate more, a larger quantity of fragrant rice, or a smaller quantity of premium quality rice, as both would cost the same price.

I DIDN'T ask what else I should buy, how much I should spend as that is none of your business, or if I should buy something else.

The reason I want to donate rice is that I know then every child will get to join my gift.

If I wanted to buy something for each child individual, even the smallest McD menu would set me back tens of thousands of baht for over 100 of children.

Most on this forum don't donate ever a SINGLE baht to a children home, so who are you to tell me how much I should give and what I should spend it on?

And now admin, please close this thread as I'm sick of the imbeciles

You have received some good advice, no need to spit your dummy out, many give to charities without feeling the need to broadcast it.  

keeping  whatever you choose to donate out of the hands of the unscrupulous only end up benefiting the kids.  Whats wrong with that? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1