Minister Shuts Pink Line For Seven Days After Accident

webfact

image.jpeg

TRANSPORT Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit inspected the spot in Nonthaburi where three kilometres of MRT Pink Line’s conductor rail fell on the road before dawn this morning (Dec. 24) and ordered the closure of service on this route for seven days, Naewna newspaper said.

Preliminary investigation showed that this accident stemmed from construction not system error, he said, while urging the public to have confidence in the monorail lines.

It appears that dirt got stuck in the train wheels and upon running scraped the rail causing it to fall. A crane may be used to pull up sheet piles that cause the dirt to get stuck on these wheels, he explained.

Conductor rail is a special power transmission system installed along the track and supplies electric energy to the train.

by TNR Staff

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-12-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Preliminary investigation showed that this accident stemmed from construction not system error, he said, while urging the public to have confidence in the monorail lines.

I think any confidence has just been lost.

I have to say the whole thing didn't exactly look like a rush job. They spent years on it. Many times I went buy it and saw no more than one or two working on it, sometimes no one. They clearly weren't in a hurry to get it finished fast. So they shouldn't really have encountered problems so soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

TRANSPORT Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit inspected the spot in Nonthaburi where three kilometres of MRT Pink Line’s conductor rail fell on the road before dawn this morning (Dec. 24) and ordered the closure of service on this route for seven days, Naewna newspaper said.

It appears that dirt got stuck in the train wheels and upon running scraped the rail causing it to fall. A crane may be used to pull up sheet piles that cause the dirt to get stuck on these wheels, he explained.

Conductor rail is a special power transmission system installed along the track and supplies electric energy to the train.

by TNR Staff

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-12-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

One may ask, WHO was responsible for inspecting "3 Kilometres" of Conductor Rail", and WHO passed it as Satisfactory  ?

I read another report of this on Monday morning when details were sketchy. Then it became clear that some three kilometres of aluminium conductor strip had fallen which I found extraordinary.

This 'rail' is around 100 x 50 mm in section and appears to be the electrical power supply to the train via a 'pickup' or 'wiper'. Regardless of what supposedly caused it to detach at a single point why did so many other othe attachment points on adjacent piers fail? How is the conductor secured?

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, rovinman said:

One may ask, WHO was responsible for inspecting "3 Kilometres" of Conductor Rail", and WHO passed it as Satisfactory  ?

A report that I read said the track is inspected at 0400 daily before the first scheduled run. The implication was that a crane working in the vicinity of the failure had caused dirt to fall onto the conductor 'rail'. The first scheduled train must have hit the obstruction and ripped the 'rail' out. 🤔

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Utter garbage and lies, there was no train at that time, it was as usual bad engineering and construction. Safe and Trusted Thailand my ass. The wheels of a train don't come anywhere near the conductor rail, my book shelf looks more secure. Do those pick ups actually run on the concrete?copytrain.jpg.5c74a23a03a8b3320d14a7447f07b32c.jpg

Pink-and-Yellow-Line-monorail-routes-will-get-a-free-preview-in-December.webp.3c94238236b28c6dff064c01131524ff.webp

Edited by brianthainess

Ever wonder why this type of monorail system is used by very few operators worldwide? There was already plenty of public complaint about the bumpy ride and the low capacity of the trains. And now kilometres of the live rail literally fall off and lie in the street! This whole operation should be closed until international experts have been brought in to conduct a real investigation, not the instant blame passin of some local loudmouth who says soil is the cause. Public lives are at risk here.

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Ever wonder why this type of monorail system is used by very few operators worldwide? There was already plenty of public complaint about the bumpy ride and the low capacity of the trains. And now kilometres of the live rail literally fall off and lie in the street! This whole operation should be closed until international experts have been brought in to conduct a real investigation, not the instant blame passin of some local loudmouth who says soil is the cause. Public lives are at risk here.

There were warnings when switch from light rail to mono rail happened some years back, that monorail wasn't supposed to run such long distances and there will be frequent maintenance requirements, which wouldn't make it economical to run. But savings in construction were substantial and that's what went ahead. Someone correct me if my memory is acting up. Anyway - the power rails falling off was probably not part of the initial discussion on maintenance costs. It's probably got something to do about quality of workmanship in installing those rails...

18 hours ago, Muhendis said:

In the UK trains get stopped by leaves on the track.

In Thailand, it's dirt on the track.

In the UK it's not just stopping the train when leaves on the rail head make a mush its setting off and also jaming points,etc

Many years of work has been done to clear trees from embankments, green ecos, not happy,

UK trains are in sunken embankments, \_/  European rail lines are on raised embankments /-\

spent many years on mpv cleaning off leaves,

Screenshot_20231226-175200_Google.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

In related - monorail - news... Wheel falls off Yellow Line train.

The Electric Train Wheel Falling Accident: Transport Minister Rushes to Inspect the Scene

The electric train again”, the last yellow line This time the wheel came off and fell onto the taxi below. On Thepharak Road on the exit side Before reaching Sri Thepha station Samut Prakan Province Fortunately only the car broke down, no one was injured or killed. Recently the “transport minister” rushed to inspect the accident site .

At 6.30pm on 2 January 2024, Police Lieutenant Thitiwat Kerdkaew, Deputy Inspector (Investigation), Samrong Nuea Police Station. I received a report of a Yellow Line train wheel falling onto a taxi, causing damage. The accident occurred near Sri Thepha Station, Theparak Road, towards Sri Thepha Intersection, Theparak Subdistrict, Mueang Samut Prakan District. After being notified, we went to investigate.

A yellow-green taxi was found at the accident site, about 100 meters before Srithepha station. Brand Toyota Altis Registration Number 1 Kho 7631 Bangkok Parked in the middle of the road On examination of the front bonnet area, it was found to be damaged. As for the edge of the sidewalk, about 20 meters from the taxi, a wheel of the electric train was found fallen, so the officers brought a garbage can and set it up to block it. To prevent danger and I closed a traffic lane to clear the scene. As for the train whose wheel came off, it has already returned to the station of origin. Initially there were no injuries or deaths

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/the-electric-train-wheel-falling-accident-transport-minister-rushes-to-inspect-the-scene/

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5LFdxco1E2kUeSrNWnNEUdHYyRt8mpKEwgL4CPsAECCLR40Qn4L.jpg