Phuket simplifies visa extensions with new online system

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket, the vibrant tourist hub of Thailand, has taken a significant step forward in its immigration policy. The Immigration Bureau Commissioner, Pol Lt Gen Itthiphon Itthisanronnachai, announced on yesterday that foreigners residing in Phuket under any of 12 different types of visas can now apply for visa extension through an online portal.

This announcement was part of Lt Gen Itthiphon’s broader mission to enhance the Immigration Bureau’s efforts to facilitate the influx of tourists for the New Year holidays. With the inspection of the operations of immigration officers stationed at Phuket International Airport, he ensured readiness to handle the expected surge of tourists.

The essence of this initiative is captured in the motto, “Convenient, fast, safe, impressive.” The aim is to streamline the immigration process, making it efficient and accessible. The government has prioritised Phuket, a critical tourist area in the upper southern region, and has introduced policies to waive visas for tourists from certain countries such as China and India. This move is expected to boost the tourism industry further.

The impact of these policies is already evident. In December, the highest number of incoming tourists travelling through Phuket Airport hailed from Russia, averaging 3,600 people per day. This was followed by China, the United Kingdom, and India, with daily averages of 1,500, 780, and 720 people, respectively. The total tourist inflow via the airport this month is expected to reach 350,000.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of mana5280 (Unsplash)

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 5
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, mokwit said:

The article seems not to name the 12 types of visas, but from memory 1 year extensions such as retirement were not one of them.

They are not.

There is a listing for family of Thai national (souse, parent) but I suspect it is only for a 60 day extension after entry on a TR or VE, as no financial proofs are asked for.

Interesting though to see that 30 day extension of VE and TR are included. Does anyone know if this is province specific or can anyone do this? It seems one still has to go in person to IO to get the actual extension.

https://thaiextension.vfsevisa.com/

• Like 1

I opted to not read the article. I will say that I doubt that it beats the extension process on offer at Hua Hin's Blue Port Immigration office. That is very quick and similar to stamping in on arrival. My additional comment is that of course there is not one single process in place for what is a national requirement. TIT.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Interesting though to see that 30 day extension of VE and TR are included. Does anyone know if this is province specific or can anyone do this? It seems one still has to go in person to IO to get the actual extension.

You apply online with VFS.  The application is then handled at the office you select from this list, which you will then attend to submit hard copy paperwork and get the extension sricker in your passport.  Did it myself yesterday at CW, no issues at all, they even re-did a couple of copies where mine were not to their liking (despite being "pre-approved") 

Bangkok

Chiang Mai

Chonburi (Pattaya)

Koh Phangan

Koh Samui

Nonthaburi

Pathum Thani

Phuket

Samut Prakan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

....Interesting though to see that 30 day extension of VE and TR are included. Does anyone know if this is province specific or can anyone do this?

Supposedly available other places but not sure if the VFS thing is working in CM.

Edited by CMBob

Another article here that makes no sense. An e system for the country would be outstanding. Not having to go to immigration, just extending the annual visa online makes total sense.

Why it would mention Phuket is beyond me. And what does it have to do with tourists?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

“Convenient, fast, safe, impressive.” said no one, ever, about Thailand's bureau of immigration... but it's good to have goals.

I once did a visa extension in about 15 minutes at Jomtien, brilliant. Chaeng Wattana in BKK however, you could be there for up to 2 hours some days.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

I'd be happy if they just ditched the 90 day report and made the extensions a 2 year instead of 1 year

It seems they can do anything they want without an act of Parliament. If the don't, it is because they don't want.

39 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You apply online with VFS.  The application is then handled at the office you select from this list, which you will then attend to submit hard copy paperwork and get the extension sricker in your passport.  Did it myself yesterday at CW, no issues at all, they even re-did a couple of copies where mine were not to their liking (despite being "pre-approved") 

Bangkok

Chiang Mai

Chonburi (Pattaya)

Koh Phangan

Koh Samui

Nonthaburi

Pathum Thani

Phuket

Samut Prakan

I don't get it. If you are saying you have to go to CW what the heck is the difference.? The point I thought I read about Phuket is that there is no need for a visit for a stupid 30 day extension of TR tourist visa. 

44 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Supposedly available other places but not sure if the VFS thing is working in CM.

I wish someone knew if CW can be done on line with NO REQUIREMENT to go there for JUST a 30 day extension of TR.  That would also mean you can stay in BKK the night ( s) before and make sure hotel does TM30 for you. That would be great. 

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I don't get it. If you are saying you have to go to CW what the heck is the difference.?

11 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Spend 4 hours at Jomtien for a TV extension.

The primary selling feature is that you have an appointment and are in and out in 45 minutes.  That and it's pre-approved so ought not be issues with extra documents, etc.

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I wish someone knew if CW can be done on line with NO REQUIREMENT to go there for JUST a 30 day extension of TR

You can't do it without the visit.  From VFS.....

In 3 simple steps, your Thailand E-Extension application is ready!

• Step 1: Provide the Application details and upload the necessary Documents
  • Step 2: Book an appointment and Pay the fees online
  • Step 3: Get the E-Extension visa stamp at Immigration
  • Thanks 1

Introducing "e-Extension", an online system for requesting permission to stay in Thailand, reducing the time and steps to just 3 minutes after a trial service opened in the Bangkok area from 10 Oct.,

https://thaiextension.vfsevisa.com/

image.png.95d912586c0b493006b1fc247f7483ae.png people flocked to use the service. Found increased screening efficiency Aiming to expand services nationwideimage.png.a2365a8225874b53697f380d61f0beac.png

Web : Thaiextension.vfsevisa.com

December 27, 2023
For last November 8
“e-Extension” online visa service in 3 minutes
The launch of 'e-Extension', an online system for applying for permission to extend one's stay in Thailand, cuts time and steps to just 3 minutes after opening a trial service in the region from Bangkok from October 10. service. Found increased screening efficiency Aim to expand services nationally
On November 8, 2022, at the Royal Thai Police (Police) Office, Police General Damrongsak Kittiprapat Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Alongside Police General Roy Ingkhapairoj, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Police, Police Lieutenant General Pakphumphiphat Sajjapan , Commander-in-Chief of the Immigration Bureau. Introduction of the system for applying for temporary residence permit in the Kingdom electronically or “e-Extension” for the first time in Thailand.
The project is the brainchild of Police General Suwat Chaengyodsuk, former commander of the Royal Thai Police. who wish to develop a service system for the public, increasing the convenience for those who receive services through technology through the digital system In accordance with the guidelines for the development of a modern government sector. and Police General Damrongsak Kittiprapat Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Therefore, we continued to carry out the above operations.
Provision of Kingdom Temporary Residence Permission Application Services Electronically (e – Extension) from the Royal Thai Police and Immigration Bureau. It raises the bar and creates a new standard of service for foreigners by submitting applications for permission to stay in the Kingdom and paying fees electronically.
The system is a pilot project for requesting an extension of stay in the Bangkok region. For foreigners residing in Bangkok or there is a government workplace in Bangkok that is open for service for reasons or necessities. To request an extension of stay,
there are 12 reasons as follows:
1. for tourism,
2. teachers in public educational establishments,
3. students in public educational institutions,
4. working in government agencies,
5. formerly Thai,
6 resident families,
7. Mass media,
8. Training and research in government agencies,
9. Installation and repair of machines,
10. Medical experts,
11. Vehicle operators
and 12. Embassies provide certifications and applications
“Because every year Thailand has a foreigner who has requested permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom. In terms of reasons or necessity alone, these 12 reasons represent over 200,000 people per year and are expected to continue to increase.
In the Bangkok area, a large number of people request services. This makes it take a long time for foreigners to request a service each time. On average, it takes around 1-2 hours to wait to receive service.
In case foreigners change to request services through the “e – Extension” system (Electronic Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom: e – Extension), foreigners can complete the information themselves at any time. Through the online system on mobile devices and computers via the website And come and meet the agent to confirm your identity and receive a visa sticker in just 3 minutes.
The project reduces the steps and duration of the process. Allows foreigners to make an appointment on the date and time to receive a visa sticker themselves. This is a new dimension in the application for residence authorization in Thailand. The "e-Extension" service tested the system by allowing foreigners to request this service. Since October 10, a large number of foreigners have shown interest and come to try the system. The system can be used so well that it has generated satisfaction among service recipients and is likely to expand.
https://thaiextension.vfsevisa.com/information
Payment of fees is the final step of your application process after submitting your contact details and other mandatory documents. The fees paid for the E-Extension visa would be (NO – refundable online processing fee inclusive of all fees) as follows:
Visa fee: THB 1,900
Service charges as follows:
• Regular service fee: THB 500 to obtain your electronic extension decision within the next 7 business days.
• Express Service Fee: THB 1,500 to get your electronic extension decision within the next 3 business days.
• Super service fees

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You can't do it without the visit.  From VFS.....

In 3 simple steps, your Thailand E-Extension application is ready!

• Step 1: Provide the Application details and upload the necessary Documents
  • Step 2: Book an appointment and Pay the fees online
  • Step 3: Get the E-Extension visa stamp at Immigration

Thank you. Step 3 makes this process soooo not simple 😂 and I bet part of the " necessary " docs is TM30 which means you would have to be in BKK until you get "approved". 

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Thank you. Step 3 makes this process soooo not simple 😂 and I bet part of the " necessary " docs is TM30 which means you would have to be in BKK until you get "approved". 

Good news for you.  No mention of TM30, certainly not needed as a document.  However, if they check in their system or not is no known to me.

1703660533547.jpg

Edited by Upnotover

17 minutes ago, DULEROY said:

there are 12 reasons as follows:
1. for tourism,
2. teachers in public educational establishments,
3. students in public educational institutions,
4. working in government agencies,
5. formerly Thai,
6 resident families,
7. Mass media,
8. Training and research in government agencies,
9. Installation and repair of machines,
10. Medical experts,
11. Vehicle operators
and 12. Embassies provide certifications and applications

Basically those perceived as useful to Thailand.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Many years to late, IF Implemented and why only Phuket?

Just proves that immigration offices can make up they own rules. 

43 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I read tha

44 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Seems it might be available in BKK and CM too, possibly retirement too, checking now