Thai rescuer faces death threat for exposing hospital’s refusal to treat foreigner

webfact

12 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

How many could truthfully find that sort of money? I know my credit card wouldn't stretch that far!

I could find/borrow that amount if I really really had to.

But that avenue scares me as i do not like debt.

• Thanks 1

Thais and Thai culture don’t handle any form of criticism…

the objective is not to get to the truth but to protect the person and their image from guilt or wrong behavior 

quite sad reflection on the culture and why things never improve or strive to get better…there is no will or mindset individually or collectively to correct/punish bad behavior…

Basket of fruit or a wai wipes away in some cases despicable behavior…

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I just had a major operation not covered by either my private insurance of social security, I was asked how the costs will be covered and I simply said credit card.....they did not even want a obligatory pre-admission card swipe.

perhaps you should have read the initial story. This private hospital was the closest to them. The government hospital they were sent to after was quite far. 

34 minutes ago, thesetat said:

perhaps you should have read the initial story. This private hospital was the closest to them. The government hospital they were sent to after was quite far. 

Perhaps you should read the question I was answering.

I remember a few years ago my then Thai gf advised me to never upset any Thai person, as you never know what the "consequences" will be.  Do not complain to any Thai if she/he has upset you, just walk away.  Any time I sounded the car horn while driving she cringed, and more than once explained "Do not do that, the other driver may have a gun".  Etc, etc, etc.  Welcome to Thailand, the land of fragile Thai egos; so well reflected in Thailand's infamous defamation laws.  If you "damage" my reputation I will sue you into poverty, or, worse, hire someone to do you some "harm" to you.  TIT.  Farang, beware.  One never knows what "influential" connections the person you have upset has.

18 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Because, as subsequent events bore out, he was too critically injured to make it that far. The hospital in question was less than 500m away from the scene of the accident - why would you take a critically ill patient with possibly only a few minutes to live, anywhere else?

Also, as a rescuer, he undoubtedly knew that (as confirmed in the other threads on this incident) all hospitals are obligated to provide emergency treatment. 

yeah but I guess you missed the part that the hospital staff refused to take him in for treatment

• Agree 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:17 AM, Pouatchee said:

wow... so a thai cannot reveal the truth about a thai institution, or another thai?

this brings 'thai rak thai' to a whole new level.

no place for the truth here

Their greatest fear, TRUTH........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:17 AM, Pouatchee said:

wow... so a thai cannot reveal the truth about a thai institution, or another thai?

this brings 'thai rak thai' to a whole new level.

no place for the truth here

This is the real Thailand. 

Glad it is finally getting the exposure on social media that it deserves.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This is the real Thailand. 

Glad it is finally getting the exposure on social media that it deserves.

totally agree. unfortunately in my many years here i have read and heard many stories such as this, and even worse, yet these stories do nothing to improve human rights and the human condition here. i feel like thailand is the mexico of south east asia.

a few years back, i think ko tao... not sure..., does anyone remember the young woman who was raped and her boyfriend murdered? they tried to blame it on migrant workers... now all is forgotten.

my point is, no matter how f'd up things are here nothing will ever change... and it sickens me

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2023 at 3:39 PM, daveAustin said:

Loss of face.

Tiresome, the original "concept" was not intended as an all seasons pass to be a-holes.

Although considering how some behave, the streets of Siam would be a continuous blood purge if they allowed naming and shaming.